PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question? Probably, but...

911medic
01-04-07, 07:15 AM
...I really don't know the answer.

I'm going to be building a new rig soon, and want to reuse my existing HDDs. My Raptor (SATA, obviously) has my OS and programs on it. All will be reinstalled with the new rig. My Caviar (PATA) has My Documents and other "data" (no installed programs, just things like downloaded installation exe's, My Music, My Email, etc).

What I want to do is just remove the Caviar from the old system and install it in the new one without losing the data on it. Will a new XP install on the Raptor recognize the PATA drive and the data on it after install? Or is it going to prompt me to format it and lose the data? I know SATA drives are more "transportable" this way, but this PATA drive has me concerned.

nekrosoft13
01-04-07, 07:50 AM
yes it will work

just make sure you have the jumper set correctly

saturnotaku
01-04-07, 07:56 AM
I'm going to be building a new rig soon, and want to reuse my existing HDDs. My Raptor (SATA, obviously) has my OS and programs on it. All will be reinstalled with the new rig. My Caviar (PATA) has My Documents and other "data" (no installed programs, just things like downloaded installation exe's, My Music, My Email, etc).

You'll be fine if you're not going to use the PATA drive for installing the OS. However, to be on the safe side, there are a couple things you can do. First, back up all your important data onto DVDs. Burners are fast enough to where it shouldn't take you more than an hour or two if you have lots of stuff. Also, when you're building the new system, only install the SATA drive first, then plug in the PATA drive after you have Windows up and running. The OS should detect and assign a drive letter automatically, and it's easy to change the letter through the XP management console. Good luck. :)

Stoneyguy
01-04-07, 08:06 AM
You won't lose any data. If you have any apps on the PATA, be sure the drive letters assigned to the drive stay the same so that the path in the registry will still match the actual location of the data.

Speaking of the registry, you should back it up because when you transfer your Raptor to the new Mobo you'll probably have to repair your current instillation and that will blank your registry.

911medic
01-04-07, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys.

@nekrosoft13:
Are you just referring to slave/master? If so, no problem. I'll make sure they're set (they already are).

@saturnotaku:
Good idea. I'll make sure I backup my email and Favorites and a few other critical items. I've also got about 20GB of mp3's...I'll have to decide if I want to back all those up as well or just risk having to rip all my CDs again. I'll take your advice and install the PATA after everything's up & running correctly.

@Stoneyguy:
No apps on the PATA, just data. As far as the registry/Raptor goes, I'm planning on doing a fresh install of XP MCE. Since all my apps are on that drive as well, I know I'll have to reinstall them all anyway, so the registry shouldn't be an issue.

saturnotaku
01-04-07, 06:18 PM
@saturnotaku:
Good idea. I'll make sure I backup my email and Favorites and a few other critical items. I've also got about 20GB of mp3's...I'll have to decide if I want to back all those up as well or just risk having to rip all my CDs again. I'll take your advice and install the PATA after everything's up & running correctly.

If you have a dual-layer DVD burner, I would head over to Best Buy or your favorite electronics store and pick up a pack of DL discs. That will reduce the number of discs you need to back up your stuff, and the $20 or whatever you spend on them to back up your files will be well worth the peace of mind.

911medic
01-04-07, 07:31 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have a DL burner. But my next PC will.