PDA

View Full Version : Ambilight

J-Mag
01-04-07, 12:31 PM
OK so I am not sure if I dreamed this up or not, but I could have sworn that I saw an advertisement for a stand alone ambilight system by philips. Maybe I saw it in Wired magazine, but I can't find any info anywhere on the net for it.

Here is the tech integrated with the display:
http://www.consumer.philips.com/lcdtv/index.html

Has anyone seen a stand alone version or one integrated with the display?

lightman
01-04-07, 01:04 PM
I've seen the integrated version, at a friend's home.

I was really skeptical, I thought it was just a marketing gimmick.

Well, I was wrong. The thing is sweet. Really. It makes for an incredibly immersive (and easy on the eye) viewing...

But I never heard about a standalone version. Can't help you here...

J-Mag
01-04-07, 01:15 PM
I REALLY want the stand alone system because:

A. Most philips displays w/ ambilight are not 1080p from what I have seen.
B. Philips displays are expensive
C. The stand alone system had dual fan satellites (to replicate shockwaves, explosions, etc)

I even remember the add stating it cost like $399 and comes with a sub and two sats, plus the various lighting and fan units.

Does your friend have the v4 where all four sides of the panel can produce different colors?

Toss3
01-04-07, 01:28 PM
I remeber reading about the ambilight/special-effects system a while ago. So you're not dreaming it up! :) I couldn't find it either, but I've never seen it in any stores nor have I ever seen an ad for it. Just can't remember the manufactorer's name... :thumbdwn:

EDIT:Have you checked the www.ambx.com website?

EDIT2:If anyone's wondering, this is what he's looking for: http://scr3.golem.de/?d=0511/philips_ambx&a=41477

EDIT3:Hmm found this over at wikipedia:
Peripherals

The first range of peripherals, manufactured by Philips, have been announced for launch in November 2006. They will be available in kits of various combinations to suit different budgets, which are expandable and will automatically reconfigure when new peripherals are added. The advanced kit will include a pair of fans, 5.1 speaker system, 2.1 colour-changing light system and wrist-rumbler. Ranges from third-party manufacturers are expected shortly, and products aimed more for the lounge or living area as opposed to gaming are planned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmBX

J-Mag
01-04-07, 01:31 PM
I remeber reading about the ambilight/special-effects system a while ago. So you're not dreaming it up! :) I couldn't find it either, but I've never seen it in any stores nor have I ever seen an ad for it. Just can't remember the manufactorer's name... :thumbdwn:

Well if they are using the ambilight name it has to be a philips product.

I have seen some DIY stuff where people even coded their own direct show plug-in and designed/soldered all the components together... It used CCFL's in sets of 3.

Toss3
01-04-07, 02:11 PM
Heh I just found a cool video of the ambx system in use for gaming :D :
http://www.ichigo.se/noterat/index.php/2006-10-27/video-philips-ambx-gaming-system/

You have to scroll down the page and click on the vid to start playback! (nana2)

J-Mag
01-04-07, 02:12 PM
Ahh there we go, that's the stand alone system I was talking about.

Great link! :thumbsup:

Now I at least know that I am not hallucinating.

Are there any details that you can translate out of that?

Next question should be where'd that guy get it?

Toss3
01-04-07, 02:14 PM
Ahh there we go, that's the stand alone system I was talking about.

Great link!
Well then it should be released this month according to ambx.com! :) But somehow I doubt it...

J-Mag
01-04-07, 02:22 PM
Hmmm good news they are selling it in a variety of packages:

Philips amBX PC Gaming Peripherals range will launch with the following four kits: a $199 starter kit which contains a directional wall washer light, controller unit and satellite lights; a $299 Pro-Gamer Kit which includes a directional wall washer light, a controller unit, satellite 2.1 speaker lights and subwoofer; a $99 Extension Kit featuring a set of desk fans and wrist rumbler. For the ultimate gamer, a $399 Premium Kit encompasses all of the above.

Unfortunately it looks like games will need support built in...

Well then it should be released this month according to ambx.com! :) But somehow I doubt it...

Well Wiki said that amBX should have been out by X-mas '06, so they have already delayed it once.

Toss3
01-04-07, 02:29 PM
What only 2.1 speaker lights? :( We need 5.1! :D

J-Mag
01-04-07, 02:33 PM
What only 2.1 speaker lights? :( We need 5.1! :D

Well good thing they let you buy just the light package and then you can use your own speakers for sound.

lightman
01-04-07, 04:16 PM
Does your friend have the v4 where all four sides of the panel can produce different colors?

It's a three sided Ambillight, with ClearLCD technology, 1920x1080 panel. It's the 37PF9731D...

I don't think it's available in the US yet, though (someone correct me if I'm wrong)...

It's a literally amazing tv. Jaw-dropping. I really would like one, but it's way too expensive for me, not to mention the fact that I wouldn't know where to place it, I have a way too small house... :(

Btw, the strange thing about this tv is that the panel is a full 1920x1080, but the tv is able to display only 1080i. Strange. Evilchris, do you have any idea on what could the reason be ? I mean, I have a feeling it could be a software limitation, but it's still puzzling me...

J-Mag
01-04-07, 04:28 PM
I really would like one, but it's way too expensive for me, not to mention the fact that I wouldn't know where to place it, I have a way too small house... :(

Yeah that is extremely pricey for a 37in panel. You can get a westinghouse for 1/3 the cost and then just buy the amBX standalone system for $200 and you are set.

Btw, the strange thing about this tv is that the panel is a full 1920x1080, but the tv is able to display only 1080i. Strange.

Yeah that is a bit odd. Although from what I read all the philips LCD's were less than 1080 line res anyway. Did your friend get it recently? (as I know the ambilight TVs were all supposed to be resolution upgraded )

lightman
01-04-07, 04:42 PM
Yeah that is extremely pricey for a 37in panel. You can get a westinghouse for 1/3 the cost and then just buy the amBX standalone system for $200 and you are set.

Well, it has to be said though that Philips gives you quite a number of technologies not available in the other manufacturers' lcds. Whether or not these make up for the difference in price is another question...

Yeah that is a bit odd. Although from what I read all the philips LCD's were less than 1080 line res anyway. Did your friend get it recently? (as I know the ambilight TVs were all supposed to be resolution upgraded )

He got it two weeks ago :)

JasonPC
12-21-09, 11:21 PM
Ok way to dig up an almost 3 year old thread but I saw this deal (http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_020V001948694000P?keyword=ambx&sLevel=0) for ambx. Anyone have it? It looks pretty cool and for $30 with two games that's not a bad price.