PDA

View Full Version : Confuzzled. Pc Probe vs Core Temp.

SlieTheSecond
01-04-07, 01:37 PM
I am confused here. PC Probe, which comes with my motherboard. Asus P5B. Tells me that my cpu temperature is at idle 31c. Where as Core Temp says 46c core #0 and 44c core #1.
Thats a 14c difference.

Under full load (prime95)
Pc Prob says 47c and Core Temp says 64c and 63c.
Thats 16.5c difference.

I have read Core Temp uses digital sensors located with in each core.
But having software that ships with my mobo, one would assume it does also. If so, why such a difference.

If not, does PC Probe use sensors located near the cpu? If so, that would explain it.

DiscipleDOC
01-04-07, 02:29 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think that PC Probe reports the temps correctly. I've been reading that from other members on this forum.

SlieTheSecond
01-04-07, 02:56 PM
Ya I think so too. One would think that a motherboard which comes with overclocking features and monitoring software they would get it right :)

I just put in a zalman cpu cooler. My temps according to Core Temp dropped around 18c underload. My temps according to Pc Probe, stayed exactly the same.

Roadhog
01-04-07, 03:06 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think that PC Probe reports the temps correctly. I've been reading that from other members on this forum.

It does, it just isnt read from the same place as core temp.

Core temp reads the temperature from within the die, which is more accurate, and alot hotter.

Subtestube
01-04-07, 03:28 PM
Mmmmhmmm - The software that ships with my mobo tells me CPU temps that are usually below the motherboard temps and usually at least 10 degrees off what Core Temp tells me. I trust Core temp. When in doubt - side with caution. Hotter (up to a point) is usually more reliable.