PDA

View Full Version : Warner to Unveil First Blu-ray/HD DVD Hybrid Discs at CES

Euphoria
01-04-07, 12:49 PM
OK I just saw this article, and with all of this format war going on it might be a great solution for Movie Studios to bring all the titles that are on Bluray to HD DVD and vice versa.

I down know if this would be the right place to post this news, but since all the HD DVD vs. BluRay talk has been going on here, I thought it might be.

Here is part of the article:

In a surprise leak of what could well turn out to be the biggest high-def news to come out of this year's CES, The New York Times is reporting that Warner Home Video is set to bring the first Blu-ray/HD DVD hybrid discs to market in 2007.

According to the story, the studio is hoping to both calm consumers' fears over the competing next-gen formats as well as spur high-def hardware sales by creating a Blu-ray/HD DVD hybrid, which the studio is dubbing a "Total HD" disc.

In an exclusive pre-CES interview with the Times, Barry M. Meyer, the chairman and chief executive of Warner Brothers, claims the studio created the idea of Total HD as it became apparent that while neither the Blu-ray or HD DVD formats would be going away anytime soon, continued consumer reluctance to invest in rival technologies could stall the widespread adoption of high-definition.

Read the rest from the source, the High-Def Digest website (http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/)

Marvel_us
01-04-07, 12:53 PM
Booooo! This is going to suck. Especially if it costs more than a regular disc.

Lyme
01-04-07, 01:01 PM
The same movie!! Two formats!!! Triple the price!!!!

saturnotaku
01-04-07, 01:05 PM
Dual-format settop players = good; dual-format movies on a single disc = bad.

Euphoria
01-04-07, 01:15 PM
Yeah I agree it might be pricey but it might allow some studios that have contract with Sony for the BluRay to actually bring those movies to the HD DVDs. I mean they already have the HD DVD/DVD Hybrids...

OWA
01-04-07, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I'd rather have a dual-format player. If the price is the same though, I guess it's at least a compromise type of solution.

Marvel_us
01-04-07, 01:22 PM
Yeah I agree it might be pricey but it might allow some studios that have contract with Sony for the BluRay to actually bring those movies to the HD DVDs. I mean they already have the HD DVD/DVD Hybrids...

Studios can just ship or announce support for both formats if they want, so I don't see where you're getting at.

If anything this is only going to benefit neutral studios such as Warner since the consumer would really have no reason to want to buy a dual format disc. The movie is on both formats so pick the one your like. No real need to buy it twice.

Hopefully they still offer it on separate discs and don't just put out one dual format one.

Euphoria
01-04-07, 01:35 PM
Studios can just ship or announce support for both formats if they want, so I don't see where you're getting at.

If anything this is only going to benefit neutral studios such as Warner since the consumer would really have no reason to want to buy a dual format disc. The movie is on both formats so pick the one your like. No real need to buy it twice.

Hopefully they still offer it on separate discs and don't just put out one dual format one.

Yeah you have a point there.... I don't get it why wouldn't some studios release their movies in both formats on separate discs. The way the market is divided now, they will cover both sides and double their profits. The point is that I would like to get some of the Bluray exclusive movies on a HD DVD, and I thought unless Sony is paying them something or giving them some great deal on using their Bluray licensed format why wouldn't they provide movies in both formats? ....

Marvel_us
01-04-07, 01:39 PM
Well they want one winner. If everyone just went neutral then there wouldn't be much of a format war and really no need for two formats.

YOGIx213
01-04-07, 02:14 PM

Agreed.

superklye
01-04-07, 04:01 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

superklye
01-04-07, 04:19 PM
And why do these threads about HD DVD/BD keep ending up in the console forum?

toxikneedle
01-04-07, 04:29 PM
And why do these threads about HD DVD/BD keep ending up in the console forum?
I honestly think it's because we're the only ones that care about HD-DVD/BD wars.

superklye
01-04-07, 04:31 PM
Heh...fair enough. It just seems like they'd be more visible in the general hardware forum, but meh. :)

Imbroglio
01-04-07, 04:39 PM
you would think that, it's just that most ppl that have current gen systems also have hdtvs, so they are the ones that end up caring about hd video content, as most of them also have BD or HDDVD players/addons

it does seem more and more as if console is turning into console/High Def content area

Badboy_12345
01-04-07, 05:38 PM
It's a shame that the companies couldn't have come together and agreed on a universal format like they did with DVDs.

well they didnt agree there either :p
there is dvd- and dvd+

here is a article that I googled up

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/The-DVD-format-war---Should-you-go-plus-or-minus.html

1337_Like_ThaT
01-05-07, 03:10 AM
Heh...fair enough. It just seems like they'd be more visible in the general hardware forum, but meh. :)

I always have felt the general hardware forums is specifically for PC Hardware :)