PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 97.44 x64 drivers and OpenGL

DirtyTac
01-04-07, 06:01 PM
Hello,

I recently bought a new computer with a 8800 GTX and 64-bit duel core intel CPU's. I decided to get Windows XP Pro x64 and have been fairly happy with it. The only problems I've had are with the Forceware 97.44 x64 drivers for my 8800 GTX. Firstly, the two opengl games I've tried playing, www.digitalpaint.org and www.warsow.net, both get errors on initialization. For example, when it try to run warsow, i get the error 'Failed to load OpenGL32.dll.' Thus, I suppose my question is: Are the Forceware 97.44 x64 drivers compatible with OpenGL games?

Here is another interesting complication. Whenever I go to desktop-properties, settings-advanced i get the error: 'The nVidia display panel could not be created. Possible reasons include: Version mismatch. Reinstalling display drivers may solve this problem.' Then, upon reinstalling the drivers and rebooting the same error comes up when windows loads. Also, anytime i reboot after that, the error will come up when windows loads, and my resolution will be the default resolution windows sets when it hasn't recognized video card drivers. However, when i play games that don't use opengl (i think) like bf2 and bf2142, I don't have any problems (besides getting considerably less FPS than I had anticipated).

If anyone could help me with these two problems I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Q
01-04-07, 06:03 PM
The OpenGL driver, once the pride of Nvidia, is essentially broken on the 8800 series for the time being. If you have the patience, I'm sure they are going to have one hell of a driver out eventually, but for the mean time you're just going to have to wait it out.

DirtyTac
01-04-07, 06:22 PM
Any idea on when OpenGL games may become available to 8800 series users?

Roadhog
01-04-07, 06:25 PM
opengl works great here.

Q
01-04-07, 06:31 PM
Any idea on when OpenGL games may become available to 8800 series users?

Well, those are B-list titles. There are OpenGL games working on the 8800. In general its the performance of OpenGL games that is currently lacking.

Those games not working can just be added to the list of games that don't work for the 8800. A lot of older games and B-list titles won't play for me and I'm hoping that will get sorted out much sooner than later.

Then again, I've been told by numerous members on this forum that we have no right to complain about this. We paid over $600 per card and we should only play newer games with these cards. Legacy gaming (not even including games more than 2 years old) is NOT an advantage of PC gaming...or so I've been told.

I would guess the driver that's coming out this month should sort out most issues. If not, sell your card and wait for what ATI releases. That, or just wait for the NV refresh when they MIGHT have the driver problems sorted out.

DirtyTac
01-04-07, 07:06 PM
It may be the case that these freeware games are underdeveloped. However, given that some OpenGL games run on the 8800 series, don't you find it a bit odd that I would get the error, 'Failed to load Opengl32.dll?' If 8800 is capable of running OpenGL, then one would think it'd be able to load the .dll, and then if an error were to occur because of the underdevelopment of the game, it would occur in some mechanism of the game itself.

For some reason i get the feeling my problems may be happening because of the initial drivers i tried to install that were not 64 bit. I'm guessing these are in conflict with the 64 bit drivers i installed over them. What I think may be helpful is a fully clean removal of all the drivers associated with my 8800 GTX, and then a fresh re-installation of the 64 bit drivers. Does anyone know of any tools that can cleanly remove video card drivers?

Q
01-04-07, 07:09 PM
It may be the case that these freeware games are underdeveloped. However, given that some OpenGL games run on the 8800 series, don't you find it a bit odd that I would get the error, 'Failed to load Opengl32.dll?' If 8800 is capable of running OpenGL, then one would think it'd be able to load the .dll, and then if an error were to occur because of the underdevelopment of the game, it would occur in some mechanism of the game itself.

It's because, in my opinion (unprofessional at that), that the driver is incomplete in some way. I've seen that error in several games making me think that its missing a generic OpenGL call somewhere. Other OGL games are running decently, so its just a bug. A major one, but just a bug.

Edit: Video card driver cleaner:
Driver Cleaner Pro (Free Version)

DirtyTac
01-04-07, 09:04 PM
Driver cleaner + reinstalling actually worked. I can now play those games. However the performance is fairly poor for such a good card, but I've heard this is pretty standard with opengl games on this card.

Tranceaddict
01-05-07, 02:22 PM
Call of Duty and United Offensive are A list titles and they don't work well with the 8800 series. You have to turn OFF "Dynamic Lighting" to get the game to work as it should. However, after blowing all this cash you should not have to turn down performance image features just to be able to play a game that is several years old.

nekrosoft13
01-05-07, 02:34 PM
i have no problem with opengl games on my g80

with some older games, you have to extension limits.