PDA

View Full Version : Live for speed - the greatest of them all

Pages : [1] 2

MustangSVT
01-05-07, 03:58 AM
Does anyone here play live for speed (LFS)? It's quite possibly the greatest racing game ever made, well except maybe NFS Porsche and I also liked PGR2 a lot. Anyway, I've been playing LFS since late 2002. I've gotten really good at it and in fact this year I will try to get into professional karting and we'll see if my LFS skills (among other sims) pays off.

BTW, I am proudly ranked #20 worldwide on LFS hotlaps on SO Classic with the Formula XR (FOX). With some more practice, may get into top 10. I used to be #8 or #6 months ago, but ppl keep doing a lot of fast laps.

Anyway, if you like racing sims and have a wheel, go to liveforspeed.net and give yourself a treat. This game is amazing online in every possible way. I've played everything, rFactor with mods, GTR, GTR 2, GT Legends, Grand Prix Legends, F1C 99-02, netKar and others and LFS experience online owns them all.

icecold1983
01-05-07, 04:02 AM
i dont see how racing sims are fun :(

PeterJensen
01-05-07, 05:09 AM
Does anyone here play live for speed (LFS)? It's quite possibly the greatest racing game ever made, well except maybe NFS Porsche and I also liked PGR2 a lot. Anyway, I've been playing LFS since late 2002. I've gotten really good at it and in fact this year I will try to get into professional karting and we'll see if my LFS skills (among other sims) pays off.

BTW, I am proudly ranked #20 worldwide on LFS hotlaps on SO Classic with the Formula XR (FOX). With some more practice, may get into top 10. I used to be #8 or #6 months ago, but ppl keep doing a lot of fast laps.

Anyway, if you like racing sims and have a wheel, go to liveforspeed.net and give yourself a treat. This game is amazing online in every possible way. I've played everything, rFactor with mods, GTR, GTR 2, GT Legends, Grand Prix Legends, F1C 99-02, netKar and others and LFS experience online owns them all.

What servers do you play at? I mostly play on the Redline servers :) Btw send me some nice setups :D

Tygerwoody
01-05-07, 07:50 AM
I'm still debating on whether to get the game or not. Roadhog has been trying to get me to buy it, but I'm still waiting on some people from my guild to confirm if they will buy it or not. Pointless to play an online game without friends to get on with....

Either way, it is a brilliant game. Last week I was trying to decide between buying rFactor and LFS. I ended up buying rFactor. I think I may have mad the wrong decision. :o

PeterJensen
01-05-07, 08:36 AM
I love LFS, I bought it two weeks ago and I'm enjoying it very much.

Peter, I play a lot on the Redline servers (1 or 3). What's your ingame nick?
my ingame nick is "refsgaard" :o

Roadhog
01-05-07, 09:37 AM
If you all want to play, I will have a server up tonight at like 6pm Mountain time.

Roadhog
01-05-07, 09:39 AM
I'm still debating on whether to get the game or not. Roadhog has been trying to get me to buy it, but I'm still waiting on some people from my guild to confirm if they will buy it or not. Pointless to play an online game without friends to get on with....

Either way, it is a brilliant game. Last week I was trying to decide between buying rFactor and LFS. I ended up buying rFactor. I think I may have mad the wrong decision. :o

I told you to get LFS. :p :captnkill: (nana2)

Roadhog
01-05-07, 09:42 AM
I will have an S2 Server running all day till I get home from work. It is called NVNEWS.NET LFS SERVER

SlamDunk
01-05-07, 10:34 AM
i dont see how racing sims are fun :(
Well... LFS is fun to me even if you're not messing around with it, like in this video, for example :D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7969679855104612990 (TV cam)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5069362324222379506 (in car)

It's all about how you play the game. If regular racing gets boring you can come up with new ways of driving/racing etc., experiment a bit. People play with wacky autocross layouts online and stuff.

Tygerwoody
01-05-07, 11:48 AM
LMAO!!! those bouncy videos are funny! :)

Aphot
01-05-07, 11:50 AM
Been playing lfs for a couple years now, it rocks.

ynnek
01-05-07, 12:05 PM

it helps a little, although its totally different IRL than sitting in front of a computer. YMMV

Yea, find a good "real" outdoor kart tracks and an active race series and talk to some people. You'll probably find a place that you can rent some equipment (probably the slower stuff though) to give it a whirl.

Having an instructor the first time out is really nice, because they can immediately dump you with plenty of information to improve yourself(and hopefully how to learn how to improve), which is usually much faster than figuring it out yourself (or worse, not figuring it out! hehe) If you are really serious about racing, then you probably want to mention it to your instruction, especially if they are also affiliated/racing with a series/class, a good one will be more critical and also talk to you about other aspects of racing..

You should consider doing some open track days with your Mustang too.. its a blast :)

I too was going to dabble in karting.. Had fun at a "class" and and the local pickup races, and showed some promise.. But I ultimately decided I wanted to get a motorcycle to ride and have fun.

For me personally, I enjoy riding and cruising around more, mixing in some open track days (which is not racing!) I mean I'd love to go racing, but the time and money are a bit more than I'm ready to commit. Maybe a bit later. :)

stjuart
01-05-07, 12:45 PM

Trust me you didnt make a mistake, you need to give the game a chance and get alot of the tracks for it and get the F1 2005mod and especially the 1979 F1 which is amazing, on par if not better than gp legends. anyway i own lfs also so i get best of both worlds, i think you need to invest more time online with rfactor in order to enjoy it, same with lfs, both are crap in single player, especially lfs which has unfinished ai, but who plays sims offline other than for practice anyway.

PeterJensen
01-05-07, 12:50 PM
rFactor have a crap MP part imo. Hard finding good games.

ynnek
01-05-07, 12:52 PM
You need to join a league.

I gave up online pickup games for all driving sim games.. Sometimes its good.. But a lot of the times, its just retarded.. like spend 20 mins in qualifying to get a good spot.. only to have some dumbass from the back completely ram into you at full speed in the 1st corner on the first race lap.. junk like that.

However, I haven't found a "casual" league.. they all require like hours and hours of contiguous time.

Its why I actually played GTR and GTR2 offline with the AI for a bit, to get a quick 20-30 min race.

Tygerwoody
01-05-07, 01:42 PM
I haven't even tried the multiplayer for rFactor. I've tried, but it keeps saying something like I dont' have the right car for it or something rediculous. I just want to get on a game where all cars are in the same class and same upgrades. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to find that. With Live for Speed, I simply click on whatever game I like and everything is setup for you. Just pick your car and go. If I want to change my settings of the car I have saved setups already there. Simple.

Can someone help me out with this rFactor multiplayer though? It simply doesn't make sense...

Roadhog
01-05-07, 01:53 PM
I haven't even tried the multiplayer for rFactor. I've tried, but it keeps saying something like I dont' have the right car for it or something rediculous. I just want to get on a game where all cars are in the same class and same upgrades. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to find that. With Live for Speed, I simply click on whatever game I like and everything is setup for you. Just pick your car and go. If I want to change my settings of the car I have saved setups already there. Simple.

Can someone help me out with this rFactor multiplayer though? It simply doesn't make sense...

no clue, it wouldn't work for me either.

thats what I like about LFS, you all race the same car, so it comes down to skill.

Tygerwoody
01-05-07, 02:01 PM
no clue, it wouldn't work for me either.

thats what I like about LFS, you all race the same car, so it comes down to skill.
exactly. If LFS would just buckle down and put in a REAL CAR with a PROPER V8 engine this game would be a shoe in for best racing game of all time. By proper V8, I mean with more than 280 cubic inches... none of this 1.4 liter fart canon sounding crap.

Tr1cK
01-05-07, 02:03 PM
Not trying to hijack, but MustangSVT, you said you liked PGR2. Have you gave PGR3 a shot? I freakin love it with the wireless wheel! It's not 100% sim, but hardcore mode really makes you work for the platinum.

spoop
01-05-07, 02:18 PM
I play LFS but not all that often.

MustangSVT
01-09-07, 01:39 AM
I love LFS, I bought it two weeks ago and I'm enjoying it very much.

Peter, I play a lot on the Redline servers (1 or 3). What's your ingame nick?
I play on these too. My nick is Kimi Raikkonen, you may have seen me around. I am quite fast. :)

MustangSVT
01-09-07, 01:40 AM
Not trying to hijack, but MustangSVT, you said you liked PGR2. Have you gave PGR3 a shot? I freakin love it with the wireless wheel! It's not 100% sim, but hardcore mode really makes you work for the platinum.
Yea I have PGR3 of course. I am not willing to invest in that wireless wheel though. Already got the Logitech G25, it's too bad 360 doesn't support that.

Anyway, on another note, I had a LFS enduro on Sunday, was 36 laps at FE Gold with the FOX. Lotsa of fun. It's really hard mentally to be consistent for every single lap. I was lucky enough to pull it off.

Roadhog
01-09-07, 01:57 AM
wana get together and play some LFS tomorrow?

FastRedPonyCar
01-09-07, 11:38 AM
I just downloaded LFS V2's demo yesterday. It looks a whole lot like the gran tourismo 2 graphics engine being used only the cars don't look nearly as good :(

Roadhog
01-09-07, 12:38 PM
I just downloaded LFS V2's demo yesterday. It looks a whole lot like the gran tourismo 2 graphics engine being used only the cars don't look nearly as good :(

Looks alright to me.. Saying its only dx8.

http://www.area51.infiniteorigin.com/GC/lfs.jpg