PDA

View Full Version : A lower-price PS3 sans Blu-Ray--would you buy it?

saturnotaku
01-05-07, 07:53 AM
If Sony were to release a PS3 without the Blu-Ray drive and drop the price of both systems by $200 (same price as X360 Core and Premium), would you buy one?

Personally, GTHD looks too good to pass up at those prices.

Namrok
01-05-07, 08:01 AM
To be perfectly honest, without bluray they'd have to make it cheaper than the 360 for me to be interested. First party games are more expensive, the online experience isn't as robust, media connectivity isn't as good (I have Windows MCE and make full use of it), and there just aren't any games I care about out.

saturnotaku
01-05-07, 08:06 AM
At $299 for the 20 GB model, pound for pound, it is cheaper than the 360 since the Core system doesn't have the hard drive at all. The PS3s interface and online experience remain drawbacks, though.

hazindu
01-05-07, 08:08 AM
Without a bluray drive, how would it play PS3 game disks? I wouldn't pay anything for a game console that doesn't play games.

saturnotaku
01-05-07, 08:13 AM
Without a bluray drive, how would it play PS3 game disks? I wouldn't pay anything for a game console that doesn't play games.

Remember, this is all a completely hypothetical situation. Obviously, Sony would have figured out a way to make the games compatible with the new systems and re-package them.

Though it doesn't look like it matters at this point as it seems a lot of you wouldn't take them up on it anyway.

ENU291
01-05-07, 08:14 AM
This is a hypothetical question. If the PS3 had no Blu-Ray drive then logically PS3 games would not be available on Blu-Ray media.

Hahah... saturnotaku you beat me to the punch! :D

superklye
01-05-07, 08:56 AM
Nope. I have no interest in supporting anything made by Sony except for a 70" SXRD HDTV...and even there, I'm going to buy it severely discounted online.

OWA
01-05-07, 09:09 AM
I think it would lose one of its main advantages if they forgo the blu-ray drive. I kind of agree with Namrok, it would need to be cheaper than the X360 if they did that since right now there are more games for the X360, it's more established, etc.

I didn't vote since I already have a PS3.

hazindu
01-05-07, 09:17 AM
Remember, this is all a completely hypothetical situation. Obviously, Sony would have figured out a way to make the games compatible with the new systems and re-package them.

Though it doesn't look like it matters at this point as it seems a lot of you wouldn't take them up on it anyway.Fair enough, in that case I'm still waiting on must have titles such as FF13 or Suikoden 6, but it'd certainly be a little more attractive that way.

S.I.N
01-05-07, 09:18 AM
Uh this poll makes no sense. I think a better question ask is what if they system was $100 or $200 cheaper would you buy it because what your asking will never happen. All PS3 games will be released on BR. Atleast be realistic with the hate towards Sony. You would think some of you are in like 5th grade and also hate girls because there yucky. Disgusting.

saturnotaku
01-05-07, 09:28 AM
You would think some of you are in like 5th grade and also hate girls because there yucky. Disgusting.

Sometimes we have to play down to your level of intellect as you quite obviously aren't grasping the concept of this being a hypothetical situation.

ENU291
01-05-07, 12:37 PM
Uh this poll makes no sense. I think a better question ask is what if they system was $100 or $200 cheaper would you buy it because what your asking will never happen. All PS3 games will be released on BR. Atleast be realistic with the hate towards Sony. You would think some of you are in like 5th grade and also hate girls because there yucky. Disgusting.
Let me try to help you understand this whole thread... (For those that DO NOT OWN A PS3 because of it's current price) WHAT IF Sony re-introduced the PS3 to the US market WITHOUT a Blu-Ray drive, just a DVD-ROM drive at a reduced price (let's say $399 instead of $599)--would you be more willing to buy it? It's totally hypothetical... like those old "What If" marvel comics from back in the day! ;)

ViN86
01-05-07, 01:22 PM
Sometimes we have to play down to your level of intellect as you quite obviously aren't grasping the concept of this being a hypothetical situation.
:rofl

you can switch me to PS3 when you pry my 360 from my cold dead fingers

S.I.N
01-05-07, 01:25 PM
Let me try to help you understand this whole thread... (For those that DO NOT OWN A PS3 because of it's current price) WHAT IF Sony re-introduced the PS3 to the US market WITHOUT a Blu-Ray drive, just a DVD-ROM drive at a reduced price (let's say $399 instead of $599)--would you be more willing to buy it? It's totally hypothetical... like those old "What If" marvel comics from back in the day! ;)

Well its is a bad if not stupid hypothetical question. It wont happen period being that games also ship on BR. Pose a question that has possibility of happening but as it stands this just another lets try to **** on Sony thread. And its not only the BR that makes the PS3 more expensive but also the fact it has bulit in HDMI, WiFi, etc. No one seems to have problem with Gamecube II giving you far less for more money but they do PS3 for giving more over the competition for a decent price. And its funny the amount of people with $400 video cards and $800 computer monitors bitching about price.

msxyz
01-05-07, 01:33 PM
Maybe... Last year I spent 300€ for an Xbox 360 and during the course of the last 12 months I've played a dozen of good games (half of them are or will be only available on the Xbox)

Before committing to the PS3 I consider a requirement: 1) the price to be half of what is today 2) have enough good games to justify the purchase. Bluray/HDDVD is totally irrilevant to me.

saturnotaku
01-05-07, 02:08 PM
Well its is a bad if not stupid hypothetical question.

The question that you posed is just as stupid if I follow your retarded logic. Sony is no more likely to simply drop the price of the PS3 and still offer the same product than they are to take BR out of the equation and lower the price.

No one seems to have problem with Gamecube II giving you far less for more money but they do PS3 for giving more over the competition for a decent price.

It's a little concept called "perceived value of the product." Take an economics class or two, and maybe you'll expand your mind.

And its funny the amount of people with $400 video cards and $800 computer monitors bitching about price.

People are complaining about the price in relation to what they believe it offers them for the money they're spending. I think you're just pissed off that I wouldn't sell my PS3 to you.

1337_Like_ThaT
01-07-07, 01:04 PM
When I get my PS3 eventually, I still want the BluRay drive support so I can pick up those HD movie titles only offered in BluRay :)