PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000 TB HDD!

superklye
01-05-07, 09:39 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/hitachi-breaks-1tb-hard-drive-barrier-with-7k1000/

This is crazy! 32MB buffer!

saturnotaku
01-05-07, 09:40 AM
Sexy time explosion! :drooling:

DarkJedi664
01-05-07, 10:40 AM
Seeing as how the average HD movie is about 12GB, that starts to add up, and even a 500GB drive isn't enough anymore.

Stoneyguy
01-05-07, 10:40 AM
wOOt!! I can't wait for this!

Monolyth
01-05-07, 11:27 AM
Hitachi should get with LucasArts and start making a Deathstar hard-drive line to combat the Raptors. Hehe. Okay not really funny *goes into corner and cries*.

As hard drives increase in density it really worries me that the entire storage subsystem will be buried under a thick layer of fragmentation. It's nice to a 1TB drive, but look at defragging, we get into multi-terabyte drives how will defragmenters handle such large sizes? Honestly they can't currently, it will be like the dark ages of a Windows 95 defrag taking a day to complete.

I'd much rather place my vote in the newer consumer-level Solid-State drives that Samsung is working on. These drives would remove the worries of access times and even interface speeds. They are looking at trying to get 128GB's drives out this year which is amazing, but of course there is the threat that Seagate will release their monster 300TB drive in Q1 2008.

The whole storage subsystem in computers needs a big change or a big kick in the pants. With memory speeds quadruple what they were when ATA-133 came out, you would think we could actually get speeds faster then what we currently have.

I think with flash a real cool advantage might be to install to an embedded dedicated OS drive on the motherboard itself. Can you imagine how many OEM's would love a solution like that? Make the connection or item a standard socket type and you could even allow people to pull the chip out of one mobo and place it onto another.

And not just embedded applications could apply, perhaps in the future we will see games or software released on flash media. No more spin-speed, much faster write-speeds, longer life, easier storage. I think that PSP/DS movies were the first step, no reason they couldn't move them to a smaller form factor and actually release for consumers once the technology matures a little more.

Dazz
01-05-07, 11:31 AM
They aleady have had the deathstar drives, oh so sorry Deskstar. Granted that was under the IBM name but Hitachi bought that devision out.

Urm the 300TB drives are expected in later 2010 so you are 3 years early.

Monolyth
01-05-07, 11:49 AM
They aleady have had the deathstar drives, oh so sorry Deskstar. Granted that was under the IBM name but Hitachi bought that devision out.

Urm the 300TB drives are expected in later 2010 so you are 3 years early.

Hehe glad you saw how the names were so close.

On the 2010 thing, lame, buncha slackers...noobs...

Gnu_Raiz
01-05-07, 11:55 AM
You can thank M$ for all the fragmentation, after all wasn't winfs supposed to be a feature of Vista? If you use Gnu/Linux and a modern file system fragmentation is not a problem, unless you use something like ext2.

If your using big drives you need to be backing up, you should be using partitions, partitions help keep defragmentation under control. This almost makes raid a requirement on Windows systems, as the drives are too big for optical storage. You also might want to invest in a commerical defrag program, but even then it is still not that robust due to ntfs. Then you have to account for updates, almost after every major update I end up defragging the drive. This could be a big problem on a drive like this if it is full.