PDA

View Full Version : sparkle 8800 gts nv4_disp infinite loop

sm0ke
01-05-07, 06:51 PM
I get this error when trying to play various games.
BSOD comes up indicating that nv4_disp has gone into an infinite loop.

I originally had an asus p5nd2-sli and a gfx 6600 gt and no errors.
I then bought the XFX Geforce 8800gts and got this error.
Then i returned it on the grounds that it was faulty and got the Sparkle Geforce 8800GTS and i still get this error.

I then bought a new Asus p5ld2 se which i am currently on, and i still get the same message.
I have tested this with two different psu's ( one of them SLI certified ).

My setup:

P5LD2 SE motherboard (latest bios)
Sparkle geforce 8800 gts (pci-x)
Pentium 4 D @ 3Ghz
2Gb ram
Antec NEO HE 550 psu (SLI certified)
Latest Forceware drivers (97.44)
Computer NOT overclocked in any way.

I would like to ask if this is indeed a problem with the drivers (as the error message on the BSOD actually indicates), or something else.
Is this a fault with the drivers?
I have seen people with the same problem never getting answers. Instead they are told to try a different config (psu, mem etc.)
Is nvidia aware of this? Will it be fixed in a later driver version?

I just spent 300 on nvidia hardware (not to mention the mobos), and it does not work, and i would really appreciate an answer.
That's all, Thank you.

therapture
01-05-07, 09:00 PM
Is this on a fresh install of windows? If not you need to get Driver Cleaner, boot into safe mode, remove all traces of the NV driver. Then get back into regular mode and try 97.02 or the newest leaked 97.92, which is what I am using.

The infinite loop is 99% caused by drivers, at least in my case. I had a couple of those when I first got the card, and it was solved by CAREFUL removal of all previous driver traces. Solved my problem completely, and I have even changed drivers 3x since then with no issues.

ivanmoe
01-05-07, 10:28 PM
I'm using the same drivers as sm0ke and I've never seen that error message.

Same PSU, also, with a BFG 8800GTX.

Moe

therapture
01-06-07, 01:50 AM
I'm using the same drivers as sm0ke and I've never seen that error message.

Same PSU, also, with a BFG 8800GTX.

Moe

It's not really a driver version issue, it's that the new and the old driver may be conflicting, it does happen and the only way to cure it is to completely remove the old driver. Not as easy to do as it sounds with the complicated registry.

The current drivers for the 8800's are a bit weak and you got to help them a bit to get a stable rig.

sm0ke
01-06-07, 08:12 AM
Well, it is a fresh installation of windows xp,
and i only applied the latest drivers. There are no traces of previous drivers anywhere.
It is also not a temperature problem.
My cpu runs at 32C right now.
My mobo is 27C and the graphics card is 50C.

PS. I am sick and tired of activating windows xp every time :)

sm0ke
01-06-07, 08:24 AM
I will try the 97.92 drivers i found on sparkle's website (!!!).
Will be back with more details.

PS. 97.92 are WHQL certified.

sm0ke
01-06-07, 08:51 AM
still getting infinite loop errors. Will try to uninstall drivers from safe mode and install them again but i have no high hopes.

EDIT.

Uninstalled nvidia drivers, rebooted, ran nfr to completely remove nvidia components still left in my system, installed 97.92 drivers and i still get problems.

-K-
01-06-07, 09:30 AM
Whats your sound card?

sm0ke
01-06-07, 09:37 AM
i used to have the sb audigy 2 zs but i uninstalled it and now i am using the onboard sound card that comes with the p5ld2 se mobo (SoundMAX intergrated digital HD audio).

Cavalry1
01-06-07, 10:03 AM
Sorry to hear you're having troubles. A couple of years ago I had the infinite loop problem with my 5700 ultra and tried everything I could think of and still got the blue screen after a short while gaming. Anyway, for me the problem turned out to be heat related, or specifically heat from the card or trapped heat in the case causing the crash and the Nvidia driver to loop infinately. I opened the side of my case one day and the error dissapeared, gamed for hours with no trouble. Try opening your case and game fror a while if the error goes away then you'll know. It might not be a heat issue in your case but it's worth a shot.

Hope it works for you!!

Phil.

sm0ke
01-06-07, 10:07 AM
thanks for the suggestion cavalry1 but it is not a heat problem in my case.
Everything seems to be cool enough, and games crash right after starting.

Cavalry1
01-06-07, 10:18 AM
Shame. I think the infinite loop issue can have many different causes and I remember reading loads of web sites on the problem.

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002mar/bch20020305010574.htm

And Via Arena had articles about it to.

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=5&ArticleID=9

I guess it's gonna have to be trial and error til you find the problem.

sm0ke
01-06-07, 10:25 AM
yes i know.
Some people blame psu's, others motherboards, others faulty ram etc.
I just wanted to know what nvidia's take on this is.
As i stated before, i have tested this with different configurations, and i still get the same error.
However, i guess there are still a lot of people NOT getting this error or no errors at all.
Just want an answer from nvidia.

-K-
01-06-07, 10:33 AM
yes i know.
Some people blame psu's, others motherboards, others faulty ram etc.
I just wanted to know what nvidia's take on this is.
As i stated before, i have tested this with different configurations, and i still get the same error.
However, i guess there are still a lot of people NOT getting this error or no errors at all.
Just want an answer from nvidia.

RMA the card.

sm0ke
01-06-07, 10:43 AM
I have already returned my previous graphics card (XFX geforce 8800 GTS) on the grounds that it was faulty.
I really think that there's nothing wrong with the graphics card.

Cavalry1
01-06-07, 10:48 AM
I agree, I think it's unlikely it's the card so I wouldn't RMA. Is it possible you could check it in another PC? I know you've tried different configurations already.

Phil.

sm0ke
01-06-07, 10:49 AM
UPDATE

i have switched my ram from slots 1 & 2 to 1 & 3 as suggested by the link cavalry1 posted (thank you) and now everything seems to run smoothly.
I hope this is the case.

will post back with updates when i properly test this.

Cavalry1
01-06-07, 11:03 AM
Here's hoping buddy. Have you bee able to game for a period of time?

Cavalry1
01-06-07, 03:42 PM
Well, is everything fine?

Phil.

sm0ke
01-06-07, 11:11 PM
Well... While i AM able to play a few games now (originally they would crash right at the start), some still give me the infinite loop error.

example:
I can finally play Dark messiah of might and magic again, and civilization4 also.
BUT CS:S crashes immediately.

I really can't find a pattern here.

Courageous_D
01-07-07, 05:50 PM
I have a BFG Geforce 8800 GTS and am having the same problem, except I am not getting a BSoD; rather, I am getting a popup window that says "nv4_disp display driver is not working properly..." After this I have to restart my computer. I have been on the phone with BFG and they had me use driver cleaner pro again, and try the 97.02 drivers instead of the 97.44 drivers. Neither work.

Should I take the card back to Fry's and pick up a replacement before my 30 days run out, or does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be?

I have a 500 watt power supply, the latest bios from my mobo manufacturer, etc. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

sm0ke
01-07-07, 06:19 PM
it is very hard to actually isolate the problem.
It might be a fault with nvidia drivers, your mobo, your psu, your memory... anything really.

I am running memtest as we speak, but i really think there's something wrong with the drivers.
I also think that there is nothing wrong with the actual graphics card, since i have already returned one that had the same symptoms, and the new one has the same problems.

still waiting for an answer(acknowledgement?) from nvidia.

sm0ke
01-07-07, 08:03 PM
i just purchased driver cleaner.
removed the drivers, booted into safe mode, ran driver cleaner, rebooted into normal mode again, installed the latest (leaked) drivers and i am still getting the same error :(

i also tried the same routine but i installed the drivers that came with my card, and still get this error.

Simulo
01-04-08, 06:54 AM
nice to see i'm not the only one getting this lovely error.
i have a 8800 GT (not gonna look for the box...it's...somewhere :S ). and i get a nice little pop up while playing WoW sometimes that says nv4_disp has gone into an infinite loop...and i go for 32-bit color to 16[not bit]color.

this is a fresh install of XP so the only possible video drivers are Nvidia's and the generic that XP has.

it's is NOT heat related because i ran this machine for 48hrs using a WoW afk-bot [when i needed sleep] and not once did i get the error. i have played Tabula Rasa on max settings and have yet to get this error so i doubt it's related to the work load placed on the card. it's simply a Russian roulette error; one i hope will be fixed

edit: sorry if this is digging up a topic but this is the best result google gave me for the error :S

WeisserWalFisch
01-06-08, 03:11 PM
I faced this problem with my 7950 GX2 GPU - again and again. I have found out that A my Kaspersky Internet Security Suite established an "On Acess Scanner" that crashed the nv4disp.dll. This IS suite is banned from my workstation - i am using free software instead. B Annother reason i faced were bad sectors on my HDD. This issue was resolved by a "Repair Installation" of my Windows XP which recognized and repaired on HDD level before reinstalling windows system files. Do not forget to backup before this operation !!! Best Regards WeisserWalFisch