PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else getting artifacting in NWN2?

loafer87gt
01-06-07, 11:30 AM
Sat down for a good NWN2 session last night and noticed I was getting a fair amount of graphical artifacts. I am running the latest version of the game, using the 97.44 drivers. I do not have my video overclocked, and have 16X HQ anisotropic filtering forced in the game. The problems occurs when there are a bunch of characters on screen at once. People start to have spikes point out of them, and over time "mutate" into a rectangular mismash of triangles. This happens very rarely, but still kinda concerns me. I have also noticed a similar problem in Oblivion with some trees having similar corruption.

In addition to these glitches, I am getting about two to three random BSOD a day with a pagefault error listing nv4disp.dll as the culprit. Could it be that my card is overheating, or are these all just game related issues. I ran memtest two nights ago to check to see if it could have been one of my four sticks of ram that might be causing me probs, but everything came up clear there. I have also ran Orthos and Prime95 for an afternoon with all four of my cores maxed out without a hiccup so my processor shouldn't be at fault either.

Any ideas to help me get everything up running stable and artifact free? I am using WinXP 32.

Rytr
01-06-07, 12:06 PM
Have you installed the latest patch? I have not played in some time but I have several friends who are addicted to this game. All have experienced the artifacts. One has a X1950XTX so although it is probably caused by heat it is not necessarily card specific.

loafer87gt
01-06-07, 03:28 PM
Yes, I am using the latest patch. I actually just played all this morning and only had one area that had garbled geometry and that was after I did a reload. Here is an example of what is happening. Look at the garbled up roof rafter.

http://jlvisual.sasktelwebsite.net/nwn2small.jpg

Rytr
01-06-07, 04:17 PM
Yes, that looks like what has been described by others. It does look like a heat issue like happens when the OC is too high. The guy I mentioned who has the X1950XTX just finished the game last weekend and he said he began experiencing the artifacts toward the end of the game after he had installed the patch. BTW, he does not OC his card.
You might check out the NWN forum for some more info as what you are experiencing seems to be like what others are reporting.

nekrosoft13
01-06-07, 06:13 PM
heat issues can happen even if you don't OC, it all depends on internal temps

darthmalak
01-09-07, 04:25 AM
In this case I don't think it has anything to do with overheating... These spikes also occured on my 7800 GTX system with NWN2 and it was definitely a driver issue. I think these spikes occured with Vista but a driver update fixed them.

So try another driver and monitor your temps just in case.

loafer87gt
01-09-07, 07:43 AM
I have kinda came to the conclusion that it is more of a driver glitch than overheating. It is too random. This usually seems to happen after I load up a save game. Is there any way to monitor temps on my card without instlaling nTune? I kinda miss the old temp info built right within the drivers control panel. I always hate installing third party stuff as you never now what other software mightn ot place nicely with it.

Edit: Just installed NVTemplogger and it looks like my machine is idling at about 74C in 2D at my desktop. Is this normal?? Seems high.

nekrosoft13
01-09-07, 08:22 AM
I have kinda came to the conclusion that it is more of a driver glitch than overheating. It is too random. This usually seems to happen after I load up a save game. Is there any way to monitor temps on my card without instlaling nTune? I kinda miss the old temp info built right within the drivers control panel. I always hate installing third party stuff as you never now what other software mightn ot place nicely with it.

Edit: Just installed NVTemplogger and it looks like my machine is idling at about 74C in 2D at my desktop. Is this normal?? Seems high.

74c idle is not normal, like i said before, heat issue, once the game starts going and cards warms up, thats when the problems start

i playing thru NWN2 for second time now, and never had any "spikes"

loafer87gt
01-09-07, 01:28 PM
I installed RivaTuner and manually set my fans to 100% and now I got my temps down to 70-71C. I called eVGA this morning and they said these temps were perfectly normal and to contact Bioware or Nvidia regarding the artifacting as the problem wasn't heat related.

God things like this are alway fun to try and resolve. :(

DaveW
01-09-07, 02:45 PM
I'd try turning off FSAA, AF, and all those AF and trilinear optimizations in the drivers. If you still get the same issue, you could have a faulty card. What card do you have?