PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX compatable with Maya?

Pagusas
01-06-07, 10:23 PM
Hi guys, i dont post here that often, usually just read the current news and read everyone elses takes on things. I have a dilemma of sorts though at the moment. Basically i just updated my monitor, went from a lcd capable of 1280x1024, to a 47" 1920x1080p screen. Needless to say my 7800GTX just doesnt have the horsepower to run the games i like at this res (Company of hero's, oblivion). So i'm thinking about getting a 8800GTX. However, the one stumbling block i have is a do alot of Maya work, its pretty much turning into my career (Junior in college now for 3D modeling and Animation) and sadly alot of consumer cards have issues with Maya. The 7800GTX is one of the first i've used that actually works flawlessly (to most extents) and i'm a bit worried about breaking that with an 8800GTX. Does anyone here use maya, and if so can you confirm if Maya works decently with the 8800?

I was originally planning on holding off updating till ATI released its new cards, but seeing as how poorly their current terries of cards is supported by alias/autodesk, i figure i should stick with nvidia.

3DBrad
01-07-07, 12:34 PM
With Maya its basically an issue with drivers.

I have used a 7800gtx, 7900gtx, and a 7950gx2 with Maya and Max and they work best with certain drivers.

If you head over to www.cgtalk.com (you may be a member already, I assume), there are some threads about the best drivers. However, I'm not sure how old of a driver you can use w/ your card.

So basically, you may have to deal with a few issues, but honestly, I had more problems with dual core CPUs than awkward drivers with Maya. :)

3DBrad
01-07-07, 07:12 PM
Thought this thread might be a little helpful (poster having a small problem w/ this G80-series GPU and Maya).
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=448495

:)

Pagusas
01-07-07, 08:36 PM
With Maya its basically an issue with drivers.

I have used a 7800gtx, 7900gtx, and a 7950gx2 with Maya and Max and they work best with certain drivers.

If you head over to www.cgtalk.com (you may be a member already, I assume), there are some threads about the best drivers. However, I'm not sure how old of a driver you can use w/ your card.

So basically, you may have to deal with a few issues, but honestly, I had more problems with dual core CPUs than awkward drivers with Maya. :)

Thank you guys very much, if i may ask what problems where you having with dual core? Im useing a C2D, and before that an X2, and never ran into any issues related to them.

3DBrad
01-07-07, 10:30 PM
I think it was an issue with Maya 7 before many/any updates.

Basically, when you were scrolling in/scrolling out sometimes, it would snap back to where the camera was, and wouldn't let you scroll in or out. For a while I solved this by just using WinlauncherXP, but then they fixed it with an update. :)

Pagusas
01-08-07, 01:08 AM
I think it was an issue with Maya 7 before many/any updates.

Basically, when you were scrolling in/scrolling out sometimes, it would snap back to where the camera was, and wouldn't let you scroll in or out. For a while I solved this by just using WinlauncherXP, but then they fixed it with an update. :)
'Glad to see it was fixed :) Ive been using 8 almost exclusivly, thus why i never really ran into it likely.

If you want to see some of the work ive done with it, you can see it at my site:
http://mypage.siu.edu/pagusas/

Ive only been working with maya for 5/6 months, so i'm still doing mostly basic stuff.