PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTX acting weird?

kanon14
01-07-07, 08:35 AM
Hi guys I just had my watercooling system installed today and also added a pair of ram to my comp. However, now it is acting kind of weird under desktop. For example, When I mouseover the frequently used programs on the left side of the "Start" panel, ther is lag. What is more weird is that when I click on "Programs" the usual window disappeared, but I can still choose the programs by guessing where it's supposed to be. Also, when I drag files on my desktop there is lag as well.

However, I tried playing a few games but they can run smoothly without a single program. I was using the 97.44 driver and i tried updating to the newer one, still no luck. I really don't know what has gone wrong. Here is my rig:

Mobo: Intel D975 bx2 (bios 2333)
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.66Ghz
Ram: Corsair DDR2 800 4GB (1GB x 4)
PSU: Enermax Liberty 500W
Video card: XFX 8800 GTX
Driver: 97.92 (tried 97.44)

Thanks in advanced!

fatal1ty
01-07-07, 10:10 AM
Hi guys I just had my watercooling system installed today and also added a pair of ram to my comp. However, now it is acting kind of weird under desktop. For example, When I mouseover the frequently used programs on the left side of the "Start" panel, ther is lag. What is more weird is that when I click on "Programs" the usual window disappeared, but I can still choose the programs by guessing where it's supposed to be. Also, when I drag files on my desktop there is lag as well.

However, I tried playing a few games but they can run smoothly without a single program. I was using the 97.44 driver and i tried updating to the newer one, still no luck. I really don't know what has gone wrong. Here is my rig:

Mobo: Intel D975 bx2 (bios 2333)
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.66Ghz
Ram: Corsair DDR2 800 4GB (1GB x 4)
PSU: Enermax Liberty 500W
Video card: XFX 8800 GTX
Driver: 97.92 (tried 97.44)

Thanks in advanced!

Doesnt really sound like a problem with the GPU.. maybe the memory. Windows XP can only address 3GB of system memory, maybe its the 4GB. Only Vista will be able to address 4GB of memory and I believe that is the 64bit version. XP SP2 and 4GB is a waste and might be the reason for the lag...

SP1 will address 4GB but there is a HD limitation of 250 or 300 GB - I cant recall right now.

kanon14
01-07-07, 10:16 AM
I see. That's why I see it only reads 3.25 Gb of ram in windows. But if anything it should slow down the whole computer and not only things in desktop shouldn't it?

Nivida give me my Vista driver please :(

SlieTheSecond
01-07-07, 10:24 AM
Take out one stick and try it. You would be amazed at what can do what and effect what but not effect anything else with windows.

kanon14
01-07-07, 07:33 PM
Take out one stick and try it. You would be amazed at what can do what and effect what but not effect anything else with windows.
Thanks I'll definitely try it later tonight. But one question is would my computer be able to boot if I use only 3 sticks of ram. I thought the ram slot must be parallel, ie. if I use 3 sticks of ram the total memory of each parallel slot must be equal (A + A = B)?

fatal1ty
01-08-07, 01:58 AM
I think he meant to take out 1 kit... or 2 sticks...