PDA

View Full Version : Annoyed of 8800GTX power hog

Vyper
01-07-07, 11:19 AM
OOPS: Saw that this was posted in a wrong area.. If an op sees this please move this thread to 8xxx series area plz.. Sorry for inconvinence.

Hi

I own a 8800GTX based graphics card and i don't know about you but i find it really annoying that the card doesn't throttle down to lower GPU and RAM specs when idle..

So i decided to try nibitor and nvflash and edited my own original bios and i have tried it now for a while and i got the temps lower and i presume that the
power consumption went down with it, i haven't got any suspicious side effects and the card throttles down a couple of minutes after closing the 3d app.. I've used ATI Tool to monitor the clocks but sometimes it triggers the core and mem to go to 3d clocks but occasionally but it usually works and just print the right 2d clock speeds and the reduced temperature along with it.. As soon as the card goes in higher 3d mode the temperature rises about 6-7 degrees along with that the fan also goes to 100% instead of lower fan speed..

Is anyone interested who doesnt dare to manipulate the bios as i did if i put up the nvflashfile and the bios for this graphicscard for download??

Perhaps we can get a user with a powermeter to measure if the wattage drops from the original bios with this bios when idle etc, i'm curious myself if
i did right.

The card is a : Inno3d 8800GTX

Kind Regards Vyper

Scaramonga
01-07-07, 11:22 AM
Ahh...........I'm glad I chose a GTS.........:captnkill:

Cyant
01-07-07, 01:25 PM
Electricity where I live is very affordable so it's not really a problem =)

Q
01-07-07, 01:30 PM
Vyper, would you mind sharing your before and after temps with us? I've always wondered why Nvidia didn't lower the clocks when idling for this card to cool it down a bit...

chiklit
01-07-07, 07:33 PM
My GTX runs at 52*C when idle, and 67*C when playing a game. I have rivatuner set the fan to always be at 100% though, my computer runs hot enough as it is.

Vyper
01-08-07, 04:10 AM
Mine is running at 66-67 idle and 87-90 at load..

When i flashed the bios it goes down to 61 degrees celsius and i feel that the room where my computers are located are cooler when i open the door after it has been closed over night.
Room temp feels about some degrees lower than usual so that gfx seem to spew out a lot of heat..

Is anyone interested in if i can share the BIOS and the appropriate flasher to download..

Kind Regards Vyper

Slammin
01-08-07, 08:14 AM
If anything, the room should feel warmer since you are removing more heat from the case into the room. Probably placebo effect :-) .

And by the way, when running Vista, you probably will want your fan running faster.

hirantha
01-08-07, 10:17 AM
just make sure the air flow is good inside the case, then you can have the card running at 57C while playing games.

Vyper
01-08-07, 10:55 AM
Ye ye :) i know..

But as the topic say i'm more concerned of the "power issue" than the heat issue..

The temperature is only lower just because of lower clocks and thus the temperature follows down..

If i recall correctly some claims say that the card draws 100W of power idle and 150W when 3d is active.. I don't want the card to use 100W idle , think that 50W idle is surely enough..

And if i can save 60 Euros a year in electrical bill and local taxes (Hate that in my country) just of inserting a new bios.. Then why not..

That was the main idea of the topic but noone seems interested in trying out a bios who has bought themself a electrical powermeter atm :o

Kind Regards Vyper

GitDat
01-08-07, 06:04 PM
Mine is running at 66-67 idle and 87-90 at load..

When i flashed the bios it goes down to 61 degrees celsius and i feel that the room where my computers are located are cooler when i open the door after it has been closed over night.
Room temp feels about some degrees lower than usual so that gfx seem to spew out a lot of heat..

Is anyone interested in if i can share the BIOS and the appropriate flasher to download..

Kind Regards Vyper

I just flashed mine with the BIOS from the EVGA website. Mine still idles at 78° C :p doh! I turn the fan up to 75% to keep it idling around 71-73° C via RivaTuner.

Q
01-08-07, 06:30 PM
I just flashed mine with the BIOS from the EVGA website. Mine still idles at 78° C :p doh! I turn the fan up to 75% to keep it idling around 71-73° C via RivaTuner.

You're going to have to take some drastic measures to get your temp down. And by drastic, I mean make some serious changes in how the air flow is in your case. Mine was idling at 73C and I've got it down to 55C by moving a PCI card and adding 2 120MM fans. They're running slow and one is positioned almost on the card, but its made a world of difference.

agentkay
01-08-07, 06:36 PM
Just because it doesn´t reduce the clocks in 2D mode doesn´t mean that it doesn´t use less power already. Think about it, are there any shaders or millions of polygons when you are in 2D mode in Windows? No, of course not and therefore I think its safe to say that 2D mode uses a lot less power even if the clocks stay at 575/1800 compared to power usage in 3D mode.

Another possiblity why the lower 2D clocks were not introduced into the default BIOS is that they are trying to increase the lifetime/avoid stress on certain components on the cards (possibly voltage regulators/mosfets etc.?)

daforce
01-08-07, 06:45 PM
Mine idles around 70-75, and load around 80-85, and my case is rather cool and good airflow.

All reviews were showing around 80 under load.. so how people are getting 57c i think thats gotta be BS!!

Q
01-08-07, 06:47 PM
Mine idles around 70-75, and load around 80-85, and my case is rather cool and good airflow.

All reviews were showing around 80 under load.. so how people are getting 57c i think thats gotta be BS!!

Mind was idling like that and I thought I had GREAT airflow. The cards are so huge they block a lot of the heat in under them. You really have to get a 120MM fan nearly right on top of them (under them, actually) to move the heat. Its possible on air and its not loud at all, but you have to do it if you want temps in the high 50s.

Dazz
01-08-07, 07:11 PM
Mine idles at 57C and underload at 67C with fan speed at 50% however i have 3 140mm fans on the side of the case so there is over to over 200CFM's of cool air there alone.

daforce
01-08-07, 07:13 PM
Well there is a 120mm just above it sucking out. 2 120mm at the front blowing in and a 250mm on the side panel blowing basically right on the card.

Never had problems with it BSOD'ing that wasnt related to ****ty drivers.

GitDat
01-08-07, 08:03 PM
Mine idles at 57C and underload at 67C with fan speed at 50% however i have 3 140mm fans on the side of the case so there is over to over 200CFM's of cool air there alone.

http://www.neodiscount.com/info/images/produits/xblade-a.jpg
Got any pics? I love my case. I wish I could just get a new side display panel with more fans like yours :clever:

GitDat
01-08-07, 09:15 PM
Mind was idling like that and I thought I had GREAT airflow. The cards are so huge they block a lot of the heat in under them. You really have to get a 120MM fan nearly right on top of them (under them, actually) to move the heat. Its possible on air and its not loud at all, but you have to do it if you want temps in the high 50s.

Wow, I tried that and it dropped my temps down 5° :beer:

Slammin
01-08-07, 09:40 PM
Ye ye :) i know..

But as the topic say i'm more concerned of the "power issue" than the heat issue..

The temperature is only lower just because of lower clocks and thus the temperature follows down..

If i recall correctly some claims say that the card draws 100W of power idle and 150W when 3d is active.. I don't want the card to use 100W idle , think that 50W idle is surely enough..

And if i can save 60 Euros a year in electrical bill and local taxes (Hate that in my country) just of inserting a new bios.. Then why not..

That was the main idea of the topic but noone seems interested in trying out a bios who has bought themself a electrical powermeter atm :o

Kind Regards Vyper

Just be careful. A lot of us from the 6xxx series went through the 2D/3D clock speed stuff and all the custom bios iterations that fixed a lot of issues I think were directly related to switching 2D and 3D clock speeds.

Back then it was in search of stability!

Basically, if the environment the card was running in was too hot, switching 2D and 3D speeds seemed to be more problematic. Flashing to a bios that used the same voltage for 2D as the card used for 3D would sometimes add stability. Sometimes it would cook the card.

Really, if you are trying to 'sell' a bios for a $600 card, I can tell you right now that I for one, am not in the market. I will cut more holes, watercool, and do much more research before flashing my $600 card/s based on an idea of saving a tree.

|MaguS|
01-08-07, 09:59 PM
Powe hog? Nope not here...

/whistles and inches away slowly

Vyper
01-09-07, 09:02 AM
Just be careful. A lot of us from the 6xxx series went through the 2D/3D clock speed stuff and all the custom bios iterations that fixed a lot of issues I think were directly related to switching 2D and 3D clock speeds.

Back then it was in search of stability!

Basically, if the environment the card was running in was too hot, switching 2D and 3D speeds seemed to be more problematic. Flashing to a bios that used the same voltage for 2D as the card used for 3D would sometimes add stability. Sometimes it would cook the card.

Really, if you are trying to 'sell' a bios for a $600 card, I can tell you right now that I for one, am not in the market. I will cut more holes, watercool, and do much more research before flashing my $600 card/s based on an idea of saving a tree.

Hi again..

Rest assure that i'm not trying to "sell" anything , i just wondered if people out there is interested in a modded gfx bios which clocks down etc..
Nothing else..
As i said before, this is only for letting other people which have a 8800GTX card of the Inno3d brand to try out and see if they're annoyed of having the GPU at 576,1350,800 pumping more energy from the computer instead of throttling down to 300,675,400 instead.. I sincerly think that i have lowered the power required when running only in 2d mode..

I run this computer in a 24/7 environment running seti@home and i don't want unneccesary power / money go to waste! That was the main purpose..

Not temperatures , not selling etc, just good old help eachother out problem solving.. Thats all :)

Kind Regards Vyper