PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else getting NV4_DISP BSOD?

OrangeBlast
01-08-07, 12:42 AM
I'm using an EVGA 8800GTX, not overclocked, using the latest posted drivers on this page, the 97.92 Drivers.

Well....now I'm getting BSOD NV4_DIP problems. It will happen at random, when I'm playing a game....email....doing some document writing.

this is VERY annoying and already adds to the frustration with my evga 680i board.

any fix for this?

funny thing was that I was getting these too with the last 8800GTX drivers, only I wouldn't get the official BSOD screen....but the symptoms are exactly the same, only with the new 97.92 drivers, I actually get a BSOD.

uhg....frustrating.

Cyant
01-08-07, 12:46 AM
Set your fan to manual 100% speed. Adding a slot-fan just below you card help a lot too.

loafer87gt
01-08-07, 01:10 AM
I am getting this error as well. I am using an Evga 8800GTX paired with a QX6700 / Bad Axe 2 / 4GB Dominator 8500 build. The BSOD seem to be totally random. Sometimes my computer is just sitting idle when it happens and other times it happens when I am doing something GPU demanding. The BSOD error code usually reads "Page fault in non_paged area" and lists the NV4_disp as the culprit.

buffbiff21
01-08-07, 02:50 AM
I have got it before.

My setup ran fine for a couple months, and all of a sudden it just happened. I thought it was a driver issue, but it happened with ALL the drivers, and I even reinstalled Windoze, still got it.

I have ABSOLUTELY no clue what caused it...

I have not got it since, though...

Bokishi
01-08-07, 04:19 AM
I had it with 97.02, but have disappeared with the 97.92 set. I bet it's driver related most of the time.

OrangeBlast
01-08-07, 05:04 AM
Well I've found a pattern to it for the most part.

Whenever I play a video file in the Normal Mode of XP, thats when I get the memory dump from NV4_DISP.dll ........in fact its not always because of video play back....it happens in games too and in general use of the system....the best pattern I have found though is with video play back in normal mode.

I can however load safe mode and play back videos no problem using VLC_Player.

I uninstalled all video codecs to X them out, but still the issue remains. I've also uninstalled the drivers using Driver Cleaner Pro and then reinstalled...

still no good.

I just formatted XP, like 3 days ago. I don't want to have to do that again just to see the problem come back.

theres got to be some fix to it!

hirantha
01-08-07, 11:29 AM
i had the same problem just after the new driver install i tried to run SCDA and bang BSOD.. so didnt try to run SCDA again. Before the new drivers i had the same problem but i also changed my RAM from 6400c to 8500 now i don’t get system hiccups, no BSOD i guess the new RAM fixed it or maybe the drivers don’t know which.

crainger
01-08-07, 02:40 PM
Well I've found a pattern to it for the most part.

Whenever I play a video file in the Normal Mode of XP, thats when I get the memory dump from NV4_DISP.dll ........in fact its not always because of video play back....it happens in games too and in general use of the system....the best pattern I have found though is with video play back in normal mode.

I can however load safe mode and play back videos no problem using VLC_Player.

I uninstalled all video codecs to X them out, but still the issue remains. I've also uninstalled the drivers using Driver Cleaner Pro and then reinstalled...

still no good.

I just formatted XP, like 3 days ago. I don't want to have to do that again just to see the problem come back.

theres got to be some fix to it!

I had the exact same problem. I fixed it by going into the nvidia control panel and setting all the video settings to default. Haven't had a BSOD since while watching a video. I don't know if that will help you any though.

ASUSEN7900GTX
01-08-07, 02:47 PM
i could get it as well when watching movies in Win DVD and powerDVD

most of the time i get afd.sys BSOD why i don´t know but it is getting annoying

not all the time but still

Q
01-08-07, 02:54 PM
I get the BSOD too and other general system wonkiness since the 8800 plopped down inside my case.

radekhulan
01-08-07, 03:13 PM
Was getting BSODs as well. The reason was NOT 8800GTX, but one faulty DDR2 1GB Corsair stick (from 4x1GB DDR2-800)... You should consider this as well, faulty RAM can present itself in very strange ways.. After replacing RAM, everything is rock-stable.

OrangeBlast
01-08-07, 06:05 PM
but memtest passed for about 4 hours when I tested it yesterday. NO ERRORS.

I still don't get it...I think its driver related becuase in Safe Mode I experience no freezing at all...nothing.

buffbiff21
01-08-07, 06:11 PM
The NV4 disp BSOD is something else. It has nothing to do with the memory.

EDIT: while faulty memory does result in page file BSODS, this is still something else.

My guess was drivers, but reinstalling did not work, and my video became corrupt soon. I swear taking the card out and reseating it did something for me.

GitDat
01-08-07, 07:13 PM
I kept getting BSOD until I figured out that it was me setting the "Prerender limit" to 0 rather than the default of 3 on the Vsync tab in RivaTuner. I don't even know where this option is in the NVIDIA control panel now. I can set it to 1 or 2 but NEVER 0 :eek:

daforce
01-08-07, 07:33 PM
I had BSOD's on an off when originally installing my 8800, generally this would happen when the NVidia control panel wasnt install with the drivers (had to use a modified INF to get that working properly) but even then some games would still BSOD but for the most part its fine now.. with both 97.44 and 97.92, each time i installed drivers i used drivercleaner as well.
I havnt had a BSOD in weeks now and had quite a few 12 hour lans with lots of vegas, gtr2, halflife 1 & 2, NWN2..etc..etc..
Its pretty much ALL driver problems as far as im concerned.

Do you have the nvidia control panel working properly?
Try uninstalling, boot to safe mode, run the latest drivercleaner, reboot, reinstall latest drivers, reboot again. (use the modified INF if you dont have the nvidia control panel showing up)

OrangeBlast
01-09-07, 04:08 AM
HAH! well i figured out my issue with the BSOD's and stuff...

my card is F*ck'd.

I've had it running fine at 645/2000 wow, great overclock, moving on now I decided to load ATI Tool to see if perhaps I needed to lower it (for whatever reason) Right when I started to run it, BAM! I get yellow artifacts all over the screen and my system freezes and eventually gives the BSOD...okay now I'm seeing a pattern...I shutdown and get back into XP. I load ATI Tool again, and lower it to 630/2000....and BAM...again all yellow and system freezes.

Okay, now things are getting strange, I've never had to reverse a video card overclock. So I try again, load ATI Tool...and set it to something alot easier... 600/2000............again...........BAM...yellow and a frozen system.

It all makes sense now too....according to ATI Tool, my "2D" mode is set to 645/2000...it is STUCK at 645/2000. When I click "defaults" it goes back to 575/2000...and I'm solid...no freezing...I reboot the system...and load ATI Tool, and once again I see the "2D" mode is set to 645/2000.......

It doesn't make any sense. I've never seen something like this before.

I'm going to setup an RMA and see if I can just exchange it at Mwave.com (good thing I live close to them!)

anyone agree my card is F'd up?? Its as if it was dying and is on its last leg.

very strange.

OrangeBlast
01-09-07, 06:15 PM
what do you guys think?

icecold1983
01-09-07, 06:27 PM
i get it too, its almost certainly a driver issue imo

SLippe
01-11-07, 12:10 AM
I've never had any luck with ATITool, I think it's crap. I can get those yellow spots with it, but everything else works fine. I've had my card oc'd since the day I got it without any problems and ATITool is the only thing that has ever given me problems. I avoid it. If your card works fine otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Gambit
01-13-07, 12:49 PM
Others are having this problems also....read on EVGA forums:

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24798

I talked to evga tech support and they said nvidia is aware of this issue and it's with 680i and P23 bois. I have a hosed MB now and and have to RMA it. First RMA my 8800GTX and still had the same issues.

I'm PISSED!!