PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft: HD-DVD might be "next Betamax"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AthlonXP1800
01-08-07, 06:05 AM
Microsoft switch to Blu-ray still possible for Xbox360 to replace DVD if HD-DVD format failed.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/05/microsoft-hd-dvd-might-be-next-betamax-switch-to-blu-ray-sti/

Zeta
01-08-07, 06:09 AM
LOL! The article says it might be a slam on Sony?? That is a direct slam on Sony. He is saying he does not want to do what Sony is doing and charging customers $200 for what will become the next beta max. How could you read that and take it any other way?

Badboy_12345
01-08-07, 06:28 AM
:rolleyes: :lame: :ignored:

PeterJensen
01-08-07, 06:36 AM
useless...

dsessom
01-08-07, 06:59 AM
Blu-Ray is going to be the next Betamax - not HD-DVD.

Blu-Ray is too expensive, and the PS3 flopped in a big way pretty much leaving HD-DVD as the only viable HD format.

ENU291
01-08-07, 07:08 AM
Isn't this old news?!? Microsoft has said many times in the past that there is currently no clear winner in the HD media war and that forcing an unproven proprietary format onto consumers was NOT what they wanted to do.

superklye
01-08-07, 07:32 AM
:rolleyes2

It wasn't a jab at HD DVD, it was a veiled jab at Sony and their idiotic idea to force a subpar media format on everyone who buys their product. When BD fails, everyone is going to be stuck with a useless movie player whereas IF HD DVD was somehow to fail, you're not stuck with an over-priced game system/movie player because MS isn't forcing anyone to buy the HD DVD drive.

Tygerwoody
01-08-07, 07:59 AM
/still thinks Blu-Ray will be the "winner"
//yes I know it is worse in every aspect
///yes I know that too
////yes and that
/////still thinks Blu-Ray will be the "winner"

ViN86
01-08-07, 09:49 AM
i like the fact that Microsoft actually thinks about consumers and realizes they dont want to pay $200 for something that could end up worthless. nice to see they actually realize that price does play a role in a consumer's purchase, unlike Sony :|

AthlonXP1800
01-08-07, 10:01 AM
Blu-Ray is going to be the next Betamax - not HD-DVD.

Blu-Ray is too expensive, and the PS3 flopped in a big way pretty much leaving HD-DVD as the only viable HD format.

Well I thought you knew better as you were born long time before the day of Betamax and VHS.

VHS actually was too expensive at 799 ($1,546.90) for top models in 1985 while all retailers in my town removed Betamax tapes from shelves and sold all Betamax recorders at big discounts as little as 150 ($290) all gone in a few days after Betamax reteated and then Betamax vanished from the face of UK in 1988 after Sony admitted defeated and backed VHS 100%.

PS3 is not flopped, it had very successful launch and about 2 months to the last day of 2006, Sony shipped 1.01 million PS3s worldwide excepted Europe.

It seemed that the consumers now know what format they want, now expensive Blu-ray players catch up and they are outsell cheap HD-DVD players. It expensive VHS vs cheap Betamax deja vu all over again.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/index.cfm

superklye
01-08-07, 10:17 AM
Well I thought you knew better as you were born long time before the day of Betamax and VHS.

VHS actually was too expensive at 799 ($1,546.90) for top models in 1985 while all retailers in my town removed Betamax tapes from shelves and sold all Betamax recorders at big discounts as little as 150 ($290) all gone in a few days after Betamax reteated and then Betamax vanished from the face of UK in 1988 after Sony admitted defeated and backed VHS 100%.

PS3 is not flopped, it had very successful launch and about 2 months to the last day of 2006, Sony shipped 1.01 million PS3s worldwide excepted Europe.

It seemed that the consumers now know what format they want, now expensive Blu-ray players catch up and they are outsell cheap HD-DVD players. It expensive VHS vs cheap Betamax deja vu all over again.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/index.cfm
Price isn't what matters...it's the company backing it, trying to force it down our throats that DOES matter. ;)

|MaguS|
01-08-07, 10:22 AM
Price isn't what matters...it's the company backing it, trying to force it down our throats that DOES matter. ;)

Too bad that majority of the consumers don't care about brand...

superklye
01-08-07, 10:27 AM
Oh, I wasn't talking about consumers but rather the fact that every format Sony has ever tried to push onto consumers as a new standard has failed horribly and I see nothing changing about that now with BD. :D

ViN86
01-08-07, 10:28 AM
true, they dont care, but to say that they are not influenced (even subconsciously) is ridiculous. if some crappy company is the only one that backs a format, and the format is 100000x better than another, then it wont survive.

it all depends on the big companies and what format they use.

Imbroglio
01-08-07, 10:29 AM

true but that same majority of customer won't pay $999 for a standalone player when the competitors are half that and the movies for that format are ~$5 more on average than their counterparts

superklye
01-08-07, 10:45 AM
true, they dont care, but to say that they are not influenced (even subconsciously) is ridiculous.
Exactly...look at how many lemmings working at Best Buy/Circuit City who don't know anything about HD content or displays sit there and tout 1080p "Full HD" and BD together as being the second coming. Then, when you ask them details, they just start throwing buzz words around because they don't know a damned thing.

They just think that Sony = teh best0rz because that's what all the marketing says.

OWA
01-08-07, 10:59 AM
At least around here, it seems HD DVD is better "setup" though. When looking for blu-ray movies at Circuit City, I finally had to ask where they were. They had them in the TV section while all the other DVDs and HD-DVDs were together. Then, at Best Buy and Circuit City, the HD DVD are much easier to browse since they mostly have each movie facing so you can clearly see the movie and it's only one movie per stack. The blu-ray movies are stacked with several movies in the stack so it basically looks like there are maybe 10 blu-ray movies until you realize there are other movies behind the one facing you. It's really irritating to browse through them.

But, I guess Sony still must be doing a pretty good job of marketing. I've heard a few people that were browsing HD DVDs tell someone with them that Blu-Ray was the superior format but since they were able to get HD-DVD capability for cheaper they were going with that.

I've also seen a few people browsing HD DVDs mention Blu-Ray as having a better selection but to tell you the truth, I was thinking the exact opposite. I guess it's because I really want the Serenity HD DVD and a couple of others that blu-ray doesn't have. So, I guess it's just a matter of what you're looking for.

Nv40
01-08-07, 02:14 PM
On other news... BLuray is outselling HD-dvd's ..3.5 to 1 ratio.. LOL!

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070108/20070108005980.html?.v=1

This was expected... PS3's sales will help Sony to dominate HD market very easily once they release enough consoles. WIth just 1 million of consoles sold they dominated christmast season .From here things will be better..but for the Bluray camp. HD-dvd's indeed will be the next betamax.. :)

evilchris
01-08-07, 02:16 PM
On other news... BLuray is outselling HD-dvd's ..3.5 to 1 ratio.. LOL!

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070108/20070108005980.html?.v=1

This was expected... PS3's sales will help Sony to dominate HD market very easily once they release enough consoles. From here things will be better.. for the Bluray camp. :)

That is a prediction by a BD exclusive studio you moron. Is the 1st quarter TWO THOUSAND SEVEN over yet?

omfg....

Zelda_fan
01-08-07, 02:19 PM
How Sony manages to conjure such idiotic loyalty I will never know.

superklye
01-08-07, 02:21 PM
That is a prediction by a BD exclusive studio you moron. Is the 1st quarter TWO THOUSAND SEVEN over yet?

omfg....
Well, let's not be too hasty here. It is the 8th of January. Q2 is practically here.

Badboy_12345
01-08-07, 02:38 PM
How Sony manages to conjure such idiotic loyalty I will never know.

me neither :lol:

Imbroglio
01-08-07, 03:13 PM
yeah a statment made by 20th century fox studios (a BD supporter only) has made this info, kind of like how sony claimed t3h c3ll will impregnate you wife and raise your family. projecting a 3.5:1 BD sale to HD-DVD sale is like projecting a due date after buying a ps3

edit: i'm guessing that nv40 didn't even look at the article, just read the headlines off another forum and then pasted the link here

betterdan
01-08-07, 03:49 PM
I like how their chart just has HD DVD staying stagnant and not growing at all. :lol:

evilchris
01-08-07, 03:53 PM
I like how their chart just has HD DVD staying stagnant and not growing at all. :lol:
Yeah, lol!