PDA

View Full Version : All those OC'ed by producers cards. WHy nvida ref isn't faster?

lukx
01-08-07, 11:57 AM
I got a question. Right now I have evga 8800 GTX. As we know there is Superclocked version with ACS3. I know that warranty for standard and KO models is the same. But is it okey what are companies doing with OC'ing cards and putting more stress on them that nvidia designed for reference model? If there is extra power in GPU why Nvidia didn't create ref model running with this kind of speeds?

On another forum this is the answer I got:
"At some point in the manufacturing proccess the chips are "binned". The chips are tested to find thier capability once they have been produced and seperated. Chips that are capable of running at higher than average clocks are put in bin A and chips that run at standard clocks are put in bin B. The chips from bin A are put in the stock OC'd cards and the chips from bin B are put in the standard cards. Its done to get more profit without much more overhead in the manufacturing proccess."

But I read that there were problems with manufactured OC'ed 7900.

So to sum up. It's more safer stay with my standard 8800 GTX or better to get beter chiped Evga 8800 GTX ACS3?

Greasy
01-08-07, 12:12 PM
Doesn't really matter, because they all come with a warranty.

hemmy
01-08-07, 02:33 PM
theoretically, less cards will fail that come clocked at NVIDIA specified speeds, but when GPUs are tested they are stressed at high-than-stock speeds to ensure stability

SlieTheSecond
01-08-07, 03:39 PM
Ya no manufacturing process is 100% perfect. No two chips are exactly the same. Some have defects that won't allow them to run faster, some don't.

sillyeagle
01-08-07, 04:59 PM
They want the hardware to last a long time. From what I understand the closer you run the chip to it max speed the shorter its life will be. Any piece of stock PC hardware should last at least 5 years, unless it has some kind of defect.

SH0DAN
01-08-07, 09:20 PM
I bought a 1.6A when they first hit retail,and right away clocked it up to 2.68Ghz.Its been running pretty much 24/7 since day one,way back in the
start of 2002,this with 1.75 volts running through it,on the stock HSF.