PDA

View Full Version : Buying New CPU

Pages : [1] 2

pkirby11
01-08-07, 06:17 PM
So I'm looking at purchasing a new CPU, of course Intel since AMD doesn't have much to offer me at this moment, and I wanted to know what you guys would do if you were me. Basically buy a E6600 and wait for Quad prices to drop or wait and get a Q6600? I'm not going to buy the QX6700, don't want to spend the money right now.

Also, I don't want and SLI board. How ever the only boards I can find that are in my price range are for an 650i SLI board from Asus or one of the P965 boards. I like the P965 board, how ever all the boards on Newegg state that only 1.8V DDR2 800 works with these boards. I looked and looked but short of calling Asus, could not find anything. Can anyone clue me in on this case, have they maybe changed this in BIOS or what? Thanks guys.

stevemedes
01-08-07, 06:22 PM
So I'm looking at purchasing a new CPU, of course Intel since AMD doesn't have much to offer me at this moment, and I wanted to know what you guys would do if you were me. Basically buy a E6600 and wait for Quad prices to drop or wait and get a Q6600? I'm not going to buy the QX6700, don't want to spend the money right now.

Also, I don't want and SLI board. How ever the only boards I can find that are in my price range are for an 650i SLI board from Asus or one of the P965 boards. I like the P965 board, how ever all the boards on Newegg state that only 1.8V DDR2 800 works with these boards. I looked and looked but short of calling Asus, could not find anything. Can anyone clue me in on this case, have they maybe changed this in BIOS or what? Thanks guys.

I'd grab a E6600 and an Asus P5B Deluxe. Best P965 mobo IMO. My Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000 that is rated at 2.2v booted right up the first time in my P5B deluxe, so I can say with some certainty that the memory voltage issues have been fixed.

Or if you want to go cheaper, you can get a Gigabyte DS3 and an E6400. I love my E6400, runs 3.4 24/7.

pkirby11
01-08-07, 06:24 PM
I'd grab a E6600 and an Asus P5B Deluxe. Best P965 mobo IMO. My Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000 that is rated at 2.2v booted right up the first time in my P5B deluxe, so I can say with some certainty that the memory voltage issues have been fixed.

Or if you want to go cheaper, you can get a Gigabyte DS3 and an E6400. I love my E6400, runs 3.4 24/7.

Sweet man, glad to here the feed back. I've just finally hit a few games that don't run so well on my 8800GTX and FX-60 so I think it's time for the old upgrade. I know that I should be able to play these games with all settings up, I'm just finally running into some bottlenecks.

stevemedes
01-08-07, 06:25 PM
Sweet man, glad to here the feed back. I've just finally hit a few games that don't run so well on my 8800GTX and FX-60 so I think it's time for the old upgrade. I know that I should be able to play these games with all settings up, I'm just finally running into some bottlenecks.

What RAM are you going with?

Bman212121
01-08-07, 06:32 PM

What games are those??

The only one I know of right now that might be bottlenecked is Test Drive Unlimited, as it runs both cores at 100%.

pkirby11
01-08-07, 08:46 PM
What RAM are you going with?

Not sure yet, looking at OCZ. I've always liked them pretty well, although I'm open for suggestions as well. :)

pkirby11
01-08-07, 08:48 PM

How about the lesser P5B boards, any thoughts on those? I don't need all the bells and whistle, I usually run stock on my clock settings.

stevemedes
01-08-07, 10:40 PM
How about the lesser P5B boards, any thoughts on those? I don't need all the bells and whistle, I usually run stock on my clock settings.

The lowest I would go is the PB5-E, if you don't need to overclock.

SlieTheSecond
01-09-07, 12:14 AM
I am currently running P5B (not -anything. just a normal P5B), e6400 @ 3.4ghz fine. The only limitation is the memory voltage only goes up to 2.1v

EDIT: Plus no option to change NB/SB voltages

Xion X2
01-09-07, 12:36 AM
stevemedes speaks the truth. The P5B Deluxe is the best option for a single-card mobo. I'm running my FSB @ 500, my E6600 @ 3.5gHz, and my G.Skill @ 1000mhz 4-4-4-5. The board boots right up for the first time with this memory, too, unlike the eVGA 680i I had before.

pkirby11
01-09-07, 01:31 PM
stevemedes speaks the truth. The P5B Deluxe is the best option for a single-card mobo. I'm running my FSB @ 500, my E6600 @ 3.5gHz, and my G.Skill @ 1000mhz 4-4-4-5. The board boots right up for the first time with this memory, too, unlike the eVGA 680i I had before.

Cool thanks, I think I'll go with a P5B Deluxe. Less money than a 680i and I don't need the over clocking abilities. As for CPU, I think I'm going with the Q6600, I found it for a good price and it's still a little cheaper than the QX6700. I figure if I'm spending the money why not get a quad core? That's my thought, let me know what you guys think. I always love suggestions.

SH0DAN
01-09-07, 01:33 PM
Wait till the price drops in 3 to 4 months on the Q6600,its going down to 500
usd...

pkirby11
01-09-07, 01:45 PM
Wait till the price drops in 3 to 4 months on the Q6600,its going down to 500
usd...

See, I thought that but I'm very bad at waiting. :) So go for the E6600 for now? I just don't know if it's worth the upgrade just for an E6600, I have an FX-60 with an EVGA 8800GTX.

SH0DAN
01-09-07, 02:21 PM
You have an FX-60 and you want to upgrade your cpu now !?!?!!! Wait till the next big price cuts,in March/April.... It is not that long away.Trust me in that you will regret it,if you dont wait.Thats a huge price cut thats coming on that chip you want (Q6600) But hey its your wallet...

Xion X2
01-09-07, 02:57 PM
See, I thought that but I'm very bad at waiting. :) So go for the E6600 for now? I just don't know if it's worth the upgrade just for an E6600, I have an FX-60 with an EVGA 8800GTX.

Heh, "just for an E6600" huh? An E6600 will run circles around that FX-60 even at stock speeds, and when you overclock it to 3.5gHz, well...

No comparison. If you want to go a little cheaper for now and wait on Quad Core, well the Allendale E6400 is a great alternative. A lot of guys are getting 3.5gHz out of that chip with good cooling.

pkirby11
01-09-07, 04:12 PM
Heh, "just for an E6600" huh? An E6600 will run circles around that FX-60 even at stock speeds, and when you overclock it to 3.5gHz, well...

No comparison. If you want to go a little cheaper for now and wait on Quad Core, well the Allendale E6400 is a great alternative. A lot of guys are getting 3.5gHz out of that chip with good cooling.

That's not what I meant, I don't deny the E6600 is good. Okay from now on lets change the topic to this.

Stay with the FX-60
Go for an E6600
Or the hell with it and spend the money on the Q6600

Right now moneys not really an issue, well it sort of is but I don't mind going as high as a Q6600 and I've considered getting it any ways. In fact I'm really close to buying the Q6600. Thanks and again not trying to debate AMD over Intel, just what you would blow your money on if you were me. :)

stevemedes
01-09-07, 04:26 PM
Do you use any applications that would warrant a quad core CPU right now?

I say buy a E6600, a nice heatsink, and overclock.

Xion X2
01-09-07, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I wasn't trying to start an AMD/Intel battle w/ you pkirby, it just seemed from your comment that you thought the E6600 wasn't a big jump over the FX.

And if money's not a great issue here, go quad! I know I would. May as well future-proof your system the best you can, eh? I really don't think we're going to see it benefit until a year from now considering games are just now being optimized for dual-cores, but at least you'll have the peace of mind of knowing you have four cores on your proc to play with when that time comes. The only downside is that the quads run hotter and you'll need some really good cooling to get a good, stable overclock out of them.

Or, you may want to wait until Intel's next line of processors come out in March-April w/ the 1333FSB. There are all sorts of fun choices in this game to make you pull your hair out.

The E6600 would be a significant upgrade, however. This proc is much, much faster than my X2 4400+ that I had clocked to 2.7gHz. Bringing up windows and applications is instantaneous, and when I'm doing Windows Updates it skips the download/install progress bar altogether for each update and moves on to the next update immediately. It's crazy fast. I can complete all of my Windows Updates in about 10 minutes (60+ updates), and that includes resetting the system when prompted.

stevemedes
01-09-07, 04:34 PM
when I'm doing Windows Updates it skips the download/install progress bar altogether for each update and moves on to the next update immediately.

That's one of the first things I noticed when I first got into windows with my new C2D rig :captnkill:

Xion X2
01-09-07, 04:39 PM
^ I know man, it's so awesome. I was like "WHOOAAAAAAA.. this sucka's a lot faster than my X2 was!" It literally was like twice as fast, maybe faster.

stevemedes
01-09-07, 04:48 PM
^ I know man, it's so awesome. I was like "WHOOAAAAAAA.. this sucka's a lot faster than my X2 was!" It literally was like twice as fast, maybe faster.

Makes me real glad I got my C2D before my 8800. 8800 on an AMD chip is like sacrilege.

CaptNKILL
01-09-07, 05:34 PM
Does anyone know if Intel has any plans to release a lower clocked quad core like a Q6300 or Q6400? With some games supposedly being optimized for "multiple" cores in the future, its hard to NOT want a quad core for my next upgrade. I just don't see myself spending over $300 on a CPU of any speed though. I've only ever owned 1 CPU in my life that was over $200 and I've always been well above any "recommended" requirements in games (usually in the top 10% of performance). I figure for my next upgrade I'll either get the cheapest quad core if they have any "low" end models or I'll get a $100 Core2 and overclock the crap out of it.

... unless AMD does something interesting before then.

pkirby11
01-09-07, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I wasn't trying to start an AMD/Intel battle w/ you pkirby, it just seemed from your comment that you thought the E6600 wasn't a big jump over the FX.

And if money's not a great issue here, go quad! I know I would. May as well future-proof your system the best you can, eh? I really don't think we're going to see it benefit until a year from now considering games are just now being optimized for dual-cores, but at least you'll have the peace of mind of knowing you have four cores on your proc to play with when that time comes. The only downside is that the quads run hotter and you'll need some really good cooling to get a good, stable overclock out of them.

Or, you may want to wait until Intel's next line of processors come out in March-April w/ the 1333FSB. There are all sorts of fun choices in this game to make you pull your hair out.

The E6600 would be a significant upgrade, however. This proc is much, much faster than my X2 4400+ that I had clocked to 2.7gHz. Bringing up windows and applications is instantaneous, and when I'm doing Windows Updates it skips the download/install progress bar altogether for each update and moves on to the next update immediately. It's crazy fast. I can complete all of my Windows Updates in about 10 minutes (60+ updates), and that includes resetting the system when prompted.

Yeah that's the problem, I know it's going to be that just like always with computers, if I buy now had I waited 3 months later something new will come out. How ever I'm really starting to want a C2D because believe me I knew you weren't trying to start anything and that the E6600 is a significant upgrade. But at the same time if for nothing else, getting the quad core sounds like so much fun also. :) Ohh well, let you guys know how the Q6600 is later next week, should ship out tommorow. :D Yes I went ahead and got it.

stevemedes
01-09-07, 06:04 PM
Yeah that's the problem, I know it's going to be that just like always with computers, if I buy now had I waited 3 months later something new will come out. How ever I'm really starting to want a C2D because believe me I knew you weren't trying to start anything and that the E6600 is a significant upgrade. But at the same time if for nothing else, getting the quad core sounds like so much fun also. :) Ohh well, let you guys know how the Q6600 is later next week, should ship out tommorow. :D Yes I went ahead and got it.

Sick dude! Let us know how that thing runs! Should be a serious beast methinks.

Xion X2
01-09-07, 09:07 PM
pkirby--where did you get your quad? I haven't seen any 6600's for sale, only the 6700's.