PDA

View Full Version : NVidia should have a blog

aydc
01-09-07, 06:12 AM
I'm posting this because I know sometimes nvidia people visit this board too.

I've been wondering why this wait is getting on my nerves. I've realized that it's the uncertainty that unnerves me the most. I have no idea what the driver team is doing at nvidia. I have no idea what they are working on, what they are fixing, when's the new driver gonna come out etc.

Even Microsoft had many blogs during Vista development. Programmers, team leaders, even Alchin had a blog. They even had a site up where people could give their opinions on the interface.

NVidia has nzone, but it doesn't work. It's just users talking to other users. They need a blog where they'll post daily what they have fixed and what they are working on.

kanon14
01-09-07, 06:43 AM
exacctly. I think people are mad not because there is no G80 driver for vista (well maybe partly), but mainly because they have absolutely no idea what the Nvidia driver team is working on and exactly when there will be a WORKING driver.

:thumbdwn:

PeterJensen
01-09-07, 06:52 AM
Sounds like a great idea imo.

xgman
01-09-07, 09:38 AM
exacctly. I think people are mad not because there is no G80 driver for vista (well maybe partly), but mainly because they have absolutely no idea what the Nvidia driver team is working on and exactly when there will be a WORKING driver.

Oh, didn't you hear? National security is riding on Nvidia and their driver team. Why do you think we are still bogged down in Iraq? Because we are waiting on Nvidia's driver team of course. (lee63)

DaveW
01-09-07, 12:18 PM

If a company like nVidia did a blog it would be done by some marketting/PR guy who'd have no idea when the next drivers were coming out either.

Princess_Frosty
01-09-07, 01:11 PM
Time spent blogging is time not spent making drivers.

Q
01-09-07, 01:13 PM
Time spent blogging is time not spent making drivers.

They could blog while getting those in-office messages. (You guys ever research the benefits they get there?!? They get car detailing on site, while they work, too!)

DaveW
01-09-07, 02:52 PM
Actually a Vista driver blog would go something like this:

day 1: have a new driver build, but it failed Windows Vista Content Protection requirements.
day 2: new driver, +2000 in 3DMark over any XP driver!!!... but it failed Windows Vista Content Protection requirements.
day 3: new driver meets Windows Vista Content Protection requirements, but all HDMI signals look like ass.
day 4: discovered that degraded HDMI signals is actually part of the Windows Vista Content Protection requirements.
day 5: waiting on licenses from Intel and 3 major Hollywood studios.

PeterAce
01-09-07, 03:18 PM
Blogs are accepted at Microsoft becuase they now 'get' that more 'consumer feadback' is better. Just look at how sucssesful the MSDN offshoot Channel9 Video Blog site is.

Nvidia has a very different corporate culture, even old acquaintances (who are not nv employees - sorry can't talk names here) have been told that they shouldn't contact high-up employees direct though their e-mail but insted contact via PR/Marketing and let them filter!

I could see a 'development diary' being more likely to be allowed (but only if ther was no place for user/public comments).

Bokishi
01-09-07, 05:30 PM
They have a myspace lol.

fatal1ty
01-09-07, 05:47 PM
There would be accountability.

They don't seem to be too concerned with what their customers think or they would have some type of feedback system like ATI has.

Eliminator
01-09-07, 06:14 PM

They don't seem to be too concerned with what their customers think or they would have some type of feedback system like ATI has.
not to mention poor support for anything but the very latest products.... was the nforce3+6800 stuttering issue ever fixed?... did they even mention it or try to fix it?.... the latest official drivers for the 7 series and below are over 2 months old and are crap anyway and their current buggy and old 93.81 drivers are sadly better

saturnotaku
01-09-07, 06:17 PM
or they would have some type of feedback system like ATI has.

We all know ATI does a bang-up job of implementing customer feedback. :rolleyes:

fatal1ty
01-09-07, 06:34 PM
We all know ATI does a bang-up job of implementing customer feedback. :rolleyes:

At least you can get an issue to ATI - how is Nvidia supposed to fix anything OSMOSIS? They certainly don't read the forums - as their bug lists in new drivers would reflect the many posts here showing the issues all of us can replicate, duplicate, catagorize and catalog. They can't fix issues they dont know about and since they hire the blind to in house bug test drivers... well bottom line is that on a wing and a prayer we can only hope they get issues with older games resolved...

I had personally submitted issues to ATI (MOH alpha blending was a mess) and they fixed it one release later... so dont tell me they do a bang up job, at least they do the job.

RussianHAXOR
01-09-07, 06:34 PM

Are you te realz fatality or te fakes?

pnut_gallery
01-10-07, 08:28 AM
Are you a real russian haxor or teh fakes ? (lee63)

MaXThReAT
01-10-07, 09:48 AM
:D
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=24805&pid=144465&st=0&#entry144465
Plagiarism is a good thing. :D

Ancient
01-10-07, 09:48 AM
And those R600 drivers for Vista, well, ATI is pumping those out left and right, eh? ;) :D

Q
01-10-07, 10:03 AM
And those R600 drivers for Vista, well, ATI is pumping those out left and right, eh? ;) :D

That would be a nice slap in the face for NV...

"Our competition's card has been on the market for nearly two months without Vista support. Our flagship card hasn't even RELEASED and we already have two solid builds released for it. "

Ancient
01-10-07, 10:33 AM
That would be a nice slap in the face for NV...

"Our competition's card has been on the market for nearly two months without Vista support. Our flagship card hasn't even RELEASED and we already have two solid builds released for it. "

Do you think the ATI guys would be screaming for a beta release of the hardware? "We don't care if it's fully functional, but we have drivers and just want a semi-functioning R600 to see what it can do in Vista."

kevJ420
01-10-07, 08:41 PM
EDIT: i wrote this before even reading it, i'm an idiot and i should have known nvidia had their own forums. sorry about that

perfect idea. we could try to convince them to have a pure rgss mode (w/o color compression of course) see my post dedicated to this, no disadvantages to it imo (i say imo because most people care about benchmark numbers/performance more. not me though.) it could be the new sli-aa mode.

aydc
01-11-07, 12:46 AM
MaxThreaT, I don't like it that you copied and pasted my post to the nvidia forum without my permission. I'll report you to the admins there.

SH0DAN
01-11-07, 01:36 AM
MaxThreaT you have been tattled on :D You naughty boy you....

crainger
01-11-07, 06:01 AM
I'm posting this because I know sometimes nvidia people visit this board too.

I've been wondering why this wait is getting on my nerves. I've realized that it's the uncertainty that unnerves me the most. I have no idea what the driver team is doing at nvidia. I have no idea what they are working on, what they are fixing, when's the new driver gonna come out etc.

Even Microsoft had many blogs during Vista development. Programmers, team leaders, even Alchin had a blog. They even had a site up where people could give their opinions on the interface.

NVidia has nzone, but it doesn't work. It's just users talking to other users. They need a blog where they'll post daily what they have fixed and what they are working on.

by crainger

MaXThReAT
01-11-07, 09:02 AM
Plagiarism is a (Edit: bad thing.) :finger: