PDA

View Full Version : 3007WFP power button malfunction

superklye
01-09-07, 08:43 AM
Any other users with this monitor having a problem with the power button? There have been a few times where it took numerous presses or an extended press or two in order for it to power on, but this morning as I was turning it off to leave for work, well, I COULDNíT turn it off.

I tried for a good 4 minutes pushing for various lengths of time with various levels of pressure and it just would not turn off. I finally just powered down my entire machine, but the monitor is still on.

Is this a known issue? Iíve been Googling without much luck and canít seem to find anything other than other people saying theyíve had the delayed power-on.

OWA
01-09-07, 10:53 AM
I don't have that problem with the power button but I have that problem with the input button. I have two computers connected to the monitor and switch the inputs depending on the state of the KVM switch. Initially, things were fine but a while after I started to do that, there was a time where I felt like the input switch stayed a little more recessed than usual (been that way ever since). Since then, it still works but sometimes takes a few presses before it registers. I have the 24" LCD. Kind of annoying but it has been like that for a while now and seems to still work okay (as long as you consider multiple presses okay).

superklye
01-09-07, 02:41 PM
:(

I'm hoping that 9 hours without me touching it is enough for it "rest" or whatever...I don't know what else to do though because it IS that touch sensor technology as opposed to actually being a button.

Otherwise, I guess I can just use the power switch on the back of the monitor (at least, I think there's one...there was on my Samsungs...)

superklye
01-09-07, 03:00 PM
how do you put it into standby?

J-Mag
01-09-07, 03:16 PM
Why didn't you just unplug it?

superklye
01-09-07, 03:31 PM
Why didn't you just unplug it?
Because unplugging expensive electrical equipment while it's on and running isn't something I'm particularly comfortable with. ;)

Just turn the PC of and the display goes to standby... the LED will turn orange.
Ah, well, turning off my PC every time I'm not using it isn't an option...my computer is in my room and it's on the same wall as my TV. If I'm laying on my bed watching TV, the monitor is so bright it's distracting and I often get up to check mail/IMs...so it's not like turning it off in that situation is viable.

Sigh...I hope it was just a momentary thing and when I get home in an hour everything'll be fine. :)

Bman212121
01-09-07, 03:40 PM
Because unplugging expensive electrical equipment while it's on and running isn't something I'm particularly comfortable with. ;)

Ah, well, turning off my PC every time I'm not using it isn't an option...my computer is in my room and it's on the same wall as my TV. If I'm laying on my bed watching TV, the monitor is so bright it's distracting and I often get up to check mail/IMs...so it's not like turning it off in that situation is viable.

Sigh...I hope it was just a momentary thing and when I get home in an hour everything'll be fine. :)

Or you just turn on the power setting that turns the monitor off after x amount of minutes. I will vouch that the new 07 panel buttons are a little harder to get on and off. We have a ton of 1707fps and they can be a little trickey to turn on every once in a while.

If you want to do something a little tricker than that, you can always set your monitor to turn off after 20 minutes, and then use the blank screen saver to keep it from displaying anything. The trick to that is browse into windows\system32 and find scrnsave.scr. If you make a shortcut to that on your desktop, you can just double click it and it will launch a blank screen saver.

There might even be programs that allow you to suspend your monitor via a shortcut, but I don't know of any offhand.

Stoneyguy
01-09-07, 03:42 PM
Why would you need to turn off your PC for it to go into standby mode? By default Windows turns off (puts in standby) your monitor after 20 minutes of inactivity. You can verify this by right clicking on your desktop and select properties. Hit the Screen Saver tab and at the bottom you should see "monitor power". Click the power button and then verify that it says after 20 minutes by the turn off monitor. It puts your monitor in standby without having anything to do with the physical switch on your monitor. So if it still doesn't go into standby, you may be looking at a more serious problem then just your switch.

J-Mag
01-09-07, 03:44 PM

Yeah I know the feeling, but I primarily feel this way with computers due to the fact that there could be some system critical files open or processing at the time of a power down.

I highly doubt you can damage your monitor by all of a sudden providing no power.

Bman212121
01-09-07, 03:48 PM
Yeah I know the feeling, but I primarily feel this way with computers due to the fact that there could be some system critical files open or processing at the time of a power down.

I highly doubt you can damage your monitor by all of a sudden providing no power.

Technically, a lot of devices when you hit a button your doing the same thing as pulling the plug anyway. It just cuts the power off and puts it into standby.

J-Mag
01-09-07, 03:50 PM
Technically, a lot of devices when you hit a button your doing the same thing as pulling the plug anyway. It just cuts the power off and puts it into standby.

Yeah thats kinda what I thought. As long as the device isn't saving to a memory type there shouldn't be any issues with unplugging.

superklye
01-09-07, 04:30 PM
Or you just turn on the power setting that turns the monitor off after x amount of minutes. I will vouch that the new 07 panel buttons are a little harder to get on and off. We have a ton of 1707fps and they can be a little trickey to turn on every once in a while.

If you want to do something a little tricker than that, you can always set your monitor to turn off after 20 minutes, and then use the blank screen saver to keep it from displaying anything. The trick to that is browse into windows\system32 and find scrnsave.scr. If you make a shortcut to that on your desktop, you can just double click it and it will launch a blank screen saver.

There might even be programs that allow you to suspend your monitor via a shortcut, but I don't know of any offhand.
Your idea is brilliant and if the power button still doesn't work, I'm definitely going to do this.

As for standby mode, I know how to put Windows into standby, but I thought slawter was talking about a standby mode on the monitor, driven by another button or something. And regardless, Standby mode isn't the problem here...the power button not working is. :(

superklye
01-09-07, 05:01 PM
It still wasn't working, so I just unplugged it and plugged it back in. The button is a little laggy now, but it's working. Hopefully if this happens again in the future I can get around it by just unplugging/replugging.