PDA

View Full Version : PS3 20 gb or 60gb

Pages : [1] 2

tornadog
01-09-07, 09:58 AM
Any point getting the 60GB if I dont have wireless or 1080p capable TV??

Bad_Boy
01-09-07, 10:01 AM
1080p shouldnt matter as they both have hdmi. But if you dont have wireless i would go with the 20gb and just upgrade the hard drive down the line when you need to.

tornadog
01-09-07, 10:08 AM
is it true that you can pick any SATA drive and replace it for the 20GB?

Namrok
01-09-07, 10:11 AM
is it true that you can pick any SATA drive and replace it for the 20GB?

I'd only believe that if I found someone who actually did it, and they told me how. I wouldn't take the words of any of the fanboys around here. I mean, I'm sure its possible. Whats questionable is what kind of hacks you may have to perform to do it. It could be as simple as swapping it out...but somehow I doubt it.

OWA
01-09-07, 10:17 AM
I believe I saw a couple of links to guides on how to replace it but I haven't tried it. I'm pretty sure it was in this forum so a quick search could probably turn up the links.

Marvel_us
01-09-07, 11:59 AM
It's not just any Sata drive. It has to be 2.5", laptop drives. It explains everything about upgrading the drive in the manually so you don't need to listen to naysayers, it works. You can also use an external drive if you'd like and connect it via usb.

There is one more difference between the two. The 20gb does not have memory stick slots. However it does have the usb ports on the front so you can use a usb flash drive.

If those two, wireless adapter and memory stick readers, aren't important than the 20gb is for you. Cosmetically, the 20gb is all black without the chrome accents, nothing else.

Bad_Boy
01-09-07, 12:34 PM
I'd only believe that if I found someone who actually did it, and they told me how. I wouldn't take the words of any of the fanboys around here. I mean, I'm sure its possible. Whats questionable is what kind of hacks you may have to perform to do it. It could be as simple as swapping it out...but somehow I doubt it.
what? you are doubting you can upgrade the ps3's hard drive?

Anyways, as Marvel_us said any 2.5" sata drive will work (both the 20GB & 60GB units are upgradable). No "hacks" are required.

I'd go with the 20GB and just upgrade if I were you. Only reason I got the 60GB is mainly because I have no ethernet connection where my HDTV is.

Marvel_us
01-09-07, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't even bother upgrading the drive since the biggest 2.5" sata hdd is like 120gb. If you need that much extra space but buy an external drive and use the main hdd for game saves.

If you insist on upgrade the drive, the PS3 automatically formats the drive when you boot it up with a new hdd. As said, there is a nice explanation in the manual.

Namrok
01-09-07, 01:02 PM
what? you are doubting you can upgrade the ps3's hard drive?

Anyways, as Marvel_us said any 2.5" sata drive will work (both the 20GB & 60GB units are upgradable). No "hacks" are required.

I'd go with the 20GB and just upgrade if I were you. Only reason I got the 60GB is mainly because I have no ethernet connection where my HDTV is.

Hey look, I'm just saying, Sony said the PS3 could do a lot of things, and a lot of you fanboys lapped it up and repeat it like its gospel. So excuse me if I'm skeptical of yet another claim by another fanboy about something the PS3 can supposedly do.

But hey, you can swap out laptop sized SATA drives, more power to ya, now I know.

LurkerLito
01-09-07, 01:10 PM
Yeah unless you want the wireless or the memory card slots there really is no point in getting the 60gb version. Personally I think I would have been better off saving the money and getting the 20gb version, but since I couldn't find any PS3s locally at the time, I am quite happy with the 60gb version and wireless is nice to have :).

Bad_Boy
01-09-07, 01:12 PM
Hey look, I'm just saying, Sony said the PS3 could do a lot of things, and a lot of you fanboys lapped it up and repeat it like its gospel. So excuse me if I'm skeptical of yet another claim by another fanboy about something the PS3 can supposedly do.

But hey, you can swap out laptop sized SATA drives, more power to ya, now I know.
It's something that has been known for forever (GDC 06, which was in march). If you would stop and actually read about things instead of labling everybody a fanboy, you wouldnt be in such doubt. And if you don't care about reading about something on the PS3, maybe you shouldnt be in this thread? I mean it's just a feature, theres no need to be calling a person a liar unless you know for sure. Especially when you don't even own a PS3, I'm assuming.

Namrok
01-09-07, 01:21 PM
It's something that has been known for forever (GDC 06, which was in march). If you would stop and actually read about things instead of labling everybody a fanboy, you wouldnt be in such doubt. And if you don't care about reading about something on the PS3, maybe you shouldnt be in this thread? I mean it's just a feature, theres no need to be calling a person a liar unless you know for sure. Especially when you don't even own a PS3, I'm assuming.

Wow, and at GDC 06 they also said

Harrison said that PSOne and PS2 games will in fact see "optimizations" when played on the PS3

Didn't happen.

Quit pretending Sony never lied about a single thing, and that you never helped in spreading a single one of them, and get off your high horse. Skepticism is perfectly valid concerning fanboys and the claims of the PS3.

Bad_Boy
01-09-07, 01:27 PM
Wow, and at GDC 06 they also said

Didn't happen.You have a link for that? IIRC at E3 and TGS they said no optimizations. If your link is from 1up, I'm going to laugh.

Quit pretending Sony never lied about a single thing, and that you never helped in spreading a single one of them, and get off your high horse. Skepticism is perfectly valid concerning fanboys and the claims of the PS3.
Jesus, it isnt even about something sony said. It's about you reading something that has been confirmed many times over, and not by just sony. But instead you have to lable somebody a fanboy before reading into the situation. Is it really so hard to believe that the hard drive is upgradable? **** even the PS2 had that feature (trust me, I had a 60GB 3.5" drive in mine).

Why dont you just stay out of the thread unless you know what you are talking about, you make your self look worse when you make guesses on something you dont even own.

Namrok
01-09-07, 01:31 PM
You have a link for that? IIRC at E3 and TGS they said no optimizations. If your link is from 1up, I'm going to laugh.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8637

Happy now?

Jesus, it isnt even about something sony said. It's about you reading something that has been confirmed many times over, and not by just sony. But instead you have to lable somebody a fanboy before reading into the situation. Is it really so hard to believe that the hard drive is upgradable? **** even the PS2 had that feature (trust me, I had a 60GB 3.5" drive in mine).

You didn't provide any details or convincing. You just quoted the same generic "Yeah yeah PS3 can do anything, buy it now" BS. If you'd been more specific, maybe even linked (like you demand me to do) then I would have believed you.

Bad_Boy
01-09-07, 01:42 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8637

Happy now?

lol gamasutra, known for taking **** out of context.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2558&Itemid=2
Regarding backwards compatibility, he said that there might be opportunities for optimization of previous generation games when played on the PS3. However, Sony has no plans for the graphical optimization of downloadable PS1 games on the PSP (which were announced by Ken Kutaragi last week).
If you look it up later in the year they said no optimizations would be made. Look I'm not saying sony doesnt lie, because they sure have in the past. But bringing that up really doesnt have anything to do with a simple feature that has been currently confirmed.

You didn't provide any details or convincing. You just quoted the same generic "Yeah yeah PS3 can do anything, buy it now" BS. If you'd been more specific, maybe even linked (like you demand me to do) then I would have believed you.Where did I even say that? I offered a suggestion, I didnt say the PS3 could do anything or buy it now. Don't put words in my mouth, it makes you look like your reaching.

I wouldn't even bother upgrading the drive since the biggest 2.5" sata hdd is like 120gb. If you need that much extra space but buy an external drive and use the main hdd for game saves.

Yeah thats a good point. I added a 320GB to mine. Though saving games and demos on it are impossible so I figured in a year or two if you dont delete much the 20GB might get a little full. It's really depends on what you plan on storing most on the drive.

Monolyth
01-09-07, 01:49 PM

Fanboy.

Bad_Boy
01-09-07, 01:53 PM
Fanboy.
:ORDER: :lol:

Marvel_us
01-09-07, 02:23 PM
To the original poster. It TELLS you how to change the HDD in the manual.

Another PS3 thread derailed.

Bad_Boy
01-09-07, 02:26 PM
To the original poster. It TELLS you how to change the HDD in the manual.

Another PS3 thread derailed.
I forgot all about the manual, only looked at it once and threw it back in the box. :o

Marvel_us
01-09-07, 02:28 PM
I forgot all about the manual, only looked at it once and threw it back in the box. :o

Lol, yea I actually started reading some of it last week just.:o

OWA
01-09-07, 03:29 PM
So simple a caveman could do it.

Here are the instructions from the manual (see attachments).

tornadog
01-10-07, 09:29 AM
rolled over to the dark side(lee63)

got a ps3 20 GB + Marvel ALliance for 460...now do I keep it or set it free?

Bad_Boy
01-10-07, 09:32 AM
pick up resistance and send me a buddy invite so I can show you the ropes. ;)

tornadog
01-10-07, 10:02 AM
will do...BTW when is GT Concept HD coming out and Motorstorm?

Mr. Hunt
01-10-07, 10:09 AM
GTHD Concept is out... GTHD (the full blown game) has been cancelled, but on the PSN store they have the "Concept" which is basically a 1 demo track (forward and reverse) with 10 cars for free... just go on the PSN store and you should be able to find it pretty easy... Motorstorm is due out in March I believe? But if you don't care about multiplayer you could import the Japanese version.