PDA

View Full Version : 1st working Dreamcast emulator screenshots !!

Mod
03-07-03, 05:13 PM
Here:

http://icarus.boob.co.uk/

in the emulator info, you can find more screenshots

EDIT: :cool:

Current compatibility as of 16th December 2002:

Note: All games will have certain gfx rendering issues, some may not even appear correctly at all. This compatibiltiy list is only core wise. Speeds range from only 1 to 5fps on a p3-850mhz machine under interpreter cpu core.

Working:
Ready2Rumble (NEW - Feb'03)
Cannon Spike (NEW - Feb'03)
Airforce Delta (NEW - Feb'03)
Street Fighter III - Third Strike (NEW - Feb'03)
Crazy Taxi
Virtua Striker 2
Snow Surfers
Namco Museum
Aqua GT
Headhunter
PowerStone1
Uefa dream soccer
Samba De Amigo
VirtuaAthlete2k
ESPN Track&Field
Sega Smash Pack
Coaster Works
Trickstyle
Prince of Persia 3d (one gfx renderer reports this working but i dont have the game)

Games that should work but have problems with controller compatibility:
MDK2
Soul Calibur
Gauntlet Legends

Partially working: (halt due to gfx plugin / cpu loop pre-ingame but display one or more actual screens)
Guilty Gear X (NEW - Feb'03)
18 Wheeler American Pro Trucker (NEW - Feb'03)
Virtua Tennis (NEW - Feb'03)
Magforce Racing (NEW - Feb'03)
Sonic Adventure (NEW - Feb'03)
Jet Grind Radio
Skies of Arcadia
Mr Driller

Games that hopefully can be made to work but fail on initial gdrom toc read (lowlevel gdrom emulation in progress...):
Samba de amigo 2000
Sonic adventure 2
PSOv2
Ikaruga
ConfidentialMission

Non-working:
Virtua-On - displays one screen but scif issues
Sports Jam
NHL2k2
NBA2k2
Rez
Grand Theft Auto 2
Virtua Tennis2k2

sebazve
03-08-03, 12:16 AM
yep i have seen this emu before buf AFAIK the guy doesnt want to release it...he says its too early yet and performance sucks...can we download it now?

sytaylor
03-08-03, 06:52 AM
DC emu's have been displaying comercial game gfx for a number of months now. Getting the speed is gonna be the hard part, its gonna be at least a year possibly 2 before these games are "playable", considering the dc was released in 99 i reckon 2004 (5 years) is about right. Taking the n64 as an example, released in 96 and being sucessfully emulated (most games) by about 2001.

Serath
03-08-03, 12:18 PM
If ya shmooooooze on over to ngemu.com you'll keep up to date on lots of that fun stuff.

StealthHawk
03-08-03, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by sytaylor
DC emu's have been displaying comercial game gfx for a number of months now. Getting the speed is gonna be the hard part, its gonna be at least a year possibly 2 before these games are "playable", considering the dc was released in 99 i reckon 2004 (5 years) is about right. Taking the n64 as an example, released in 96 and being sucessfully emulated (most games) by about 2001.

well, what really matters is how fast an emulator can be released that can support games. it's not the PC hardware that's the big problem, it's emulating the complex console systems, and maintaining compatibility with a large list of titles while retaining high speed.

i mean, UltraHLE played N64 games(that could be emulated) fine running on a Voodoo2. the reason it took longer for N64 emulation to propagate is because the only emulator supported Glide.

sytaylor
03-09-03, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
i mean, UltraHLE played N64 games(that could be emulated) fine running on a Voodoo2. the reason it took longer for N64 emulation to propagate is because the only emulator supported Glide.

Thats not true, UltraHLE is a High Level emulator (or dirty if you will). It just emulates what the software wants. The latter emulators were high level, which means they actually emulated what the hardware does, a very different and more compatible method.

If you wanna keep bang up to date ask the devlopers themselves over at www.emutalk.net ;) (about half the emulation projects have their official boards there).

PC hardware is far from the problem, if you look at the early TR64 releases they needed ~2ghz machines to run fine (which in 2001 weren't very common). Gettin an emulator to run fast is an extreemly difficult task, the developers who make these things are phenomenal!

StealthHawk
03-09-03, 07:59 PM
Thats not true, UltraHLE is a High Level emulator (or dirty if you will). It just emulates what the software wants. The latter emulators were high level, which means they actually emulated what the hardware does, a very different and more compatible method.

yeah...and i already addressed that it's not the PC hardware that's the big problem, it's emulating the complex console systems, and maintaining compatibility with a large list of titles while retaining high speed.

high level emulators are fast, but they get slower as you increase compatibility over a wide range of titles.

PC hardware is far from the problem, if you look at the early TR64 releases they needed ~2ghz machines to run fine (which in 2001 weren't very common). Gettin an emulator to run fast is an extreemly difficult task, the developers who make these things are phenomenal!

again, i don't understand why you quoted me when you say this. i never said PC hardware was the problem, i said PC hardware wasn't the problem.

it's not the PC hardware that's the big problem, it's emulating the complex console systems, and maintaining compatibility with a large list of titles while retaining high speed.

sytaylor
03-10-03, 01:20 AM
The first part of my post was a correction, you blamed glide, when HLE was at fault. The last part was agreement that hardware is not the problem

LORD-eX-Bu
03-10-03, 02:57 AM
all I wanna do is play DC DOA2 on my comp:D GIMME!

StealthHawk
03-10-03, 05:26 AM
The first part of my post was a correction, you blamed glide, when HLE was at fault.

i don't understand. UltraHLE did only support Glide. or whatever the first N64 emulator was called, if it was not UltraHLE.

i never blamed Glide itself, i blamed UltraHLE for only supporting Voodoo cards. sure you could grab a Glide emulator, but those were slow.

LORD-eX-Bu
03-10-03, 05:27 AM
no way man, I was usin' GF2MX with a glide wrapper and it was runnin' smooooooooooth on my killer P3 700 Mhz:D

Edge
03-10-03, 05:29 AM
Hmm, so how did Bleemcast on the Dreamcast emulate PSX so well? Since DC was only a 200 mhz processor, the optimizations must've been insane, since you need at LEAST a 700 mhz computer to emulate PSX at full speed. I guess when they made it for only 1 game at a time, the HLE system they used was pretty specific, huh?

LORD-eX-Bu
03-10-03, 05:30 AM
yeah, each bleemcast pack was supposed to run like 100 games wasn't it? but in reality it ran like 1 game per pack lol:D Poor bleem, I stuck with em' for a long time waiting for the updates that never came. Then I got fed up with it and got ePSXe wich let you use plugins and OGL :D

StealthHawk
03-10-03, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by [eNv]-LORD-eX-Bu
no way man, I was usin' GF2MX with a glide wrapper and it was runnin' smooooooooooth on my killer P3 700 Mhz:D

lol, i was talking about when UltraHLE first came out. there was no gf2mx or 700MHz CPU back then!

(at least i don't think 700MHz CPUs were out)

Edge
03-10-03, 05:35 AM
Yeah they were origionally planning for 100 games per pack but half a year before it was released they announced it would only be a 1-game disc thing. I guess they realized that Playstation 3 would be out by the time they could put 100 games emulated at full speed on a disc, so they changed thier ideas. Oh, and the several lawsuits that sony ran against them didn't help matters much...

saturnotaku
03-10-03, 09:05 AM
I remember using UltraHLE when it first came out on my Voodoo Banshee. Mario 64 played surprisingly well with this on my PII 400.

IIRC, there are only like 2 games where Bleemcast worked. I know one was GT2...can't remember the other. You can still pick up Bleemcast discs on ebay for about $10-12.

Serath
03-10-03, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Edge
Hmm, so how did Bleemcast on the Dreamcast emulate PSX so well? Since DC was only a 200 mhz processor, the optimizations must've been insane, since you need at LEAST a 700 mhz computer to emulate PSX at full speed. I guess when they made it for only 1 game at a time, the HLE system they used was pretty specific, huh?

It's because of the architecture. Consoles process data differently than the PC. THe data paths are shorter, and more specific. The speed of the CPU doesn't mean much in reality... look at the P4 willy's... higher clock speed, lower performance than the AMD counterpart, all because the P4 had a longer pipe.

sytaylor
03-11-03, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
i don't understand. UltraHLE did only support Glide. or whatever the first N64 emulator was called, if it was not UltraHLE.

i never blamed Glide itself, i blamed UltraHLE for only supporting Voodoo cards. sure you could grab a Glide emulator, but those were slow.

ULtraHLE was the first n64 emu to publicly play commercial games, it was based on glide... however that is not what slowed it down (you only needed ~50mhz to get past that with a non glide card).

For extreemley low spec machines there was Corn, now that thing was FAST.

Bleem, well it was kinda doomed because they had 2 developers and 18 PR people. So the hype was big, but in the end they could only make one game work at a time. (Why they couldnt have put many packs on one disk and have you load each game from boot, like a gameshark, I don't know).