PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 for the pc... neutered

Pages : [1] 2

shabby
01-09-07, 06:11 PM
http://pc.ign.com/articles/753/753800p1.html

Die in a fire microsoft :thumbdwn:
Although we found that aiming could be done precisely using the mouse, the turn speed inherent in Halo 2 prevents the gameplay from becoming truly twitch controlled.

Aphot
01-09-07, 06:14 PM
so this means its as slow as a console stick?

oneils
01-09-07, 06:16 PM
I don't understand the problem. Isin't that pretty much how Halo plays? I never could get used to it on xbox...takes forever to turn/aim.

I don't see how this is microsoft's fault, they didin't design the game.

nutcrackr
01-09-07, 06:28 PM
Heh, so just like Shadowrun they gimp the PC controls :lol:

btw what idiot says a-s-d-w, it's wasd you morons.:POKE:

ynnek
01-09-07, 06:48 PM
come on, we all know *real* gamers use esdf anyways.. ;)

Q
01-09-07, 06:55 PM
come on, we all know *real* gamers use esdf anyways.. ;)

But *hardcore* gamers use asdf.

Zelda_fan
01-09-07, 07:31 PM
who gives a crap...

ynnek
01-09-07, 07:58 PM

Yea, bad hardcore players! :p

|MaguS|
01-09-07, 08:01 PM
Halo 2 was Neutered from the beginning...

shabby
01-09-07, 08:59 PM

Obviously ya, but this is beyond that. To handicap a game in this way to alter your skill is just pathetic.

einstein_314
01-09-07, 11:48 PM
I don't understand...they made the turn speed have a limit?!? How does that work? That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Way to go microsoft. There's no way I'm playing it with a controller because I can't stand the slow turn speed/lack of aiming ability. I guess I'm not getting Halo 2.

superbooga
01-10-07, 12:28 AM

I switched to KB+M when I got my ass kicked by my friend in Doom...back in 1996. He used WASD...but I wanted to be different, so I used ASDX. Eventually I switched to WASD, since that's what everyone used.

Bman212121
01-10-07, 12:43 AM
so they just capped how fast you can turn? I would thing if I turned up my G5 all the way it should still fly right around. :captnkill:

EDIT: I think just the writer of the article is t3h suck and couldn't handle the mouse and kb. I didn't see anything that implied that the game itself was altered, just the writer couldn't compete.

FWIW:

Once we were satisfied with the Xbox 360 controller, we switched it over to the keyboard and mouse. The default settings had movement mapped to the traditional a-s-d-w keys while each trigger was mapped to the left and right mouse button. Although we found that aiming could be done precisely using the mouse, the turn speed inherent in Halo 2 prevents the gameplay from becoming truly twitch controlled. It took this seasoned controller player a bit too long to make the adjustment to using a keyboard, and I found myself quickly getting destroyed by the few veteran players I was up against.

K-1
01-10-07, 12:51 AM
so they just capped how fast you can turn? I would thing if I turned up my G5 all the way it should still fly right around. :captnkill:

EDIT: I think just the writer of the article is t3h suck and couldn't handle the mouse and kb. I didn't see anything that implied that the game itself was altered, just the writer couldn't compete.

FWIW:

I agree, it makes no sense to cap a player's turn rate in a FPS, i can't think of any FPS that's done that. Perhaps the writer also didn't know how to adjust sensitivity levels, since he calls himself a "seasoned controller player" it's easy to see why he might have trouble using mouse and kb.

SH0DAN
01-10-07, 01:07 AM
"seasoned idiot" is more like it.... That fool should be in another line of work.

:D

Xion X2
01-10-07, 01:55 AM

I think you were neutered from the beginning, myself.

How could you trash one of (if not) the best first person shooter series of all-time? Because it's not on the Wii and you can't wank it to your numchuk controller?

About the movement w/ the mouse, you can adjust the sensitivity controls under the game options to make him turn faster/slower. It's not a big deal; the newbie who wrote the piece just doesn't know how to configure the game.

Namrok
01-10-07, 06:53 AM
Heh, so just like Shadowrun they gimp the PC controls :lol:

btw what idiot says a-s-d-w, it's wasd you morons.:POKE:

I always say ASWD, pronounced asswad. Cause I'm just that hardcore.

grey_1
01-10-07, 06:59 AM
Sounds like the reviewer needed an excuse cuz he was getting pwned by others. cool.

CaptNKILL
01-10-07, 07:35 AM
But uber 1337 hardc0re d00ds use a Belkin Nostromo N52. :D

Stoneyguy
01-10-07, 08:12 AM

wOOt! I R du uber 1337 hardc0r3 dOOd!! :afro:

Q
01-10-07, 09:01 AM

Which would explain their jumbled typing skills. :captnkill:

|MaguS|
01-10-07, 09:45 AM
I think you were neutered from the beginning, myself.

How could you trash one of (if not) the best first person shooter series of all-time? Because it's not on the Wii and you can't wank it to your numchuk controller?

Yes because everyone of my posts screams my love for the Wii and its controls! God can you get even more retarded...

The Halo Series is over hyped. The original game was ok but with horrible story that felt butchered and just rushed was a let down, let us not forget that later in the game they simply copy and pasted the same levels over and over again... which the sequel fix some problems but for the most part still suffered from.

The game was "ok" but to say it was the best or even near the top 10 shows your lack of experiance with the FPS Genre.

Namrok
01-10-07, 10:02 AM
The Halo Series is over hyped. The original game was ok but with horrible story that felt butchered and just rushed was a let down, let us not forget that later in the game they simply copy and pasted the same levels over and over again... which the sequel fix some problems but for the most part still suffered from.

I couldn't agree more. Halo started out so delightful. A nice, cliched sci-fi story. And lets not kid ourselves here, its a first person shooter, not Shakespeare, so who cares? The AI was good, fighting the elites, trying to bust their shields and finish them off without losing your own shield in the process was great. To be honest I hated how the jeep handled, but whatever. What really killed the game was The Flood, and The Library level. Take all that great AI the covenant was using, and replace it with mindless bum rushing of an infinite wave. Replace all the strategy you had to use before with frantically trying to not die as you are trapped in a god damned room waiting for Guilty Spark to open the F*CKING DOOR ALREADY! Things got marginally better once you got out of that god forsaken level and fought the covenant some more, but it never really recovered. The flood just ruined the game. In Halo 2 things were much improved. Dual wielding added a lot more strategy to the game, the flood were scaled back significantly and used more tactics than "run straight towards you in infinite numbers". But still, Halo 1 in no way deserves the praise it got.

SH0DAN
01-10-07, 10:09 AM
The Halo Series is WAYYYYYYYY over hyped.

Fixed :) Played it,twice,thought it was just ok....

FastRedPonyCar
01-10-07, 10:13 AM
The graphics here aren't going to wow anybody as much as they did when Halo 2 first came out

Did I miss something? I was busy drooling over Half life 2 and Doom 3's graphics to be bothered by halo's. The only wow'ing halo 2 did for me was make me say "Wow I wasted $50 on this".

What really killed the game was The Flood, and The Library level. Take all that great AI the covenant was using, and replace it with mindless bum rushing of an infinite wave.

+1. I absolutley HATED the libarary.. and I don't think I'm alone on that. It's that one level that I always dreaded. (which I think every game has one)...

But the first time I entered the library and realized what was going on, I was like "WTF??? When did this game turn into Serious Sam?"