PDA

View Full Version : What is fuxored w/my parents new pc?

j0j081
01-09-07, 06:15 PM
My parents bought themselves an HP pc for Christmas with pretty decent specs (A64X2 based) but of course it came with crappy onboard video. I decided to be nice and bought them a BFG 3DFuzion 7300GS lol. Pretty weak but still A LOT better than onboard. Anyway, after setting up the new video card their HP lcd doesn't look very good anymore. It's connected using standard VGA but seemed to be fine using the onboard video. Now it looks like there is color banding (not sure if that's the right term) going on around icons on the desktop and at the edges of various Windows and text I display. Is this an issue that can be caused by a bad card or did their lcd suddenly decide to crap out being that is is an HP and maybe not too good quality? It's a pain in the ass to change cards again on their pc cause I'll have to reinstall the drivers and I already do that enough on my own pc so I'm trying to figure this out without doing that if possible.

stevemedes
01-09-07, 06:20 PM
My parents bought themselves an HP pc for Christmas with pretty decent specs (A64X2 based) but of course it came with crappy onboard video. I decided to be nice and bought them a BFG 3DFuzion 7300GS lol. Pretty weak but still A LOT better than onboard. Anyway, after setting up the new video card their HP lcd doesn't look very good anymore. It's connected using standard VGA but seemed to be fine using the onboard video. Now it looks like there is color banding (not sure if that's the right term) going on around icons on the desktop and at the edges of various Windows and text I display. Is this an issue that can be caused by a bad card or did their lcd suddenly decide to crap out being that is is an HP and maybe not too good quality? It's a pain in the ass to change cards again on their pc cause I'll have to reinstall the drivers and I already do that enough on my own pc so I'm trying to figure this out without doing that if possible.

Well when you reinstall video card drivers the resolution resets... Did you set screen resolution in the NV control panel to the native resolution of the monitor?

Bokishi
01-09-07, 06:30 PM
Yeah, LCD on non-native res is pretty atrocious.

j0j081
01-09-07, 07:09 PM
Well when you reinstall video card drivers the resolution resets... Did you set screen resolution in the NV control panel to the native resolution of the monitor?
yes I am sure I did that. 1440X900 is the recommended the same as my Samsung lcd.

SlieTheSecond
01-09-07, 07:27 PM
Did you disable the onboard video?

j0j081
01-09-07, 07:28 PM
Did you disable the onboard video?
yeah first thing I did.

-Aerows-
01-09-07, 09:21 PM
Have you taken the video card out and hooked it up without it?

Walk them through checking the resolution over the phone if you aren't there or close by. Other than that, you really should pull the card and check it with it hooked up to the on-board video.

There is always the possibility that the onboard drivers are causing a conflict, but first, I would just yank the card, enable onboard, and eliminate the LCD as the problem. Then you can troubleshoot from there. Right now, you have too many unknowns:

1) Don't know if the resolution is set correctly
2) Don't know if the LCD is functioning properly (but probably is)
3) Introduced new hardware and it isn't working right <---- Drivers or bad hardware

Eliminate 1 & 2, then 3 will be a lot easier to diagnose.

Good luck.

j0j081
01-11-07, 06:03 AM
like I said I already know the resolution is set right. I just tried the onboard video again though and the lcd looks great with that so it's definitely the hardware. guess I'll exchange for another one hope it's not the same with all the 7300s.

nekrosoft13
01-11-07, 06:57 AM
ok, no one mentioned Color Quality, 16bit would cause what you are describing

make sure its 32bit.

some monitors including LCDs to need a driver with correct ICM file, i know, we got some crappy HP 17 inch (L1740) LCDs at work.

j0j081
01-11-07, 07:25 PM
ok, no one mentioned Color Quality, 16bit would cause what you are describing

make sure its 32bit.

some monitors including LCDs to need a driver with correct ICM file, i know, we got some crappy HP 17 inch (L1740) LCDs at work.
no like I said I am sure it is something with the card now. Whether that being the VGA output or what I don't know because I don't have a DVI cable to test it with. All the things like res/color quality/driver were first things I checked.