PDA

View Full Version : Hellgate: London = MMO with subscription fee

Pages : [1] 2

nutcrackr
01-09-07, 06:47 PM
In addition to yesterday's announcement that Hellgate: London will be shipping in Summer 2007, developer Flagship Studios revealed this week that the game's multiplayer component is a subscription-based MMO

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/45282 :(

SH64
01-09-07, 06:54 PM
Thank god i only play SP :o

nekrosoft13
01-09-07, 06:54 PM
no MMO for them

maybe no hellgate, no game is worth monthly payments

icecold1983
01-09-07, 06:56 PM
if it is, i wont be buying it regardless of how good it is, i refuse to pay a monthly fee for a game

Q
01-09-07, 06:59 PM
I'm on the "no pay per month" bandwagon, as well. I like to play a game, beat it, then let it sit a while and come back to it. Especially when I can see how great my new hardware can make the older games look.

People who pay per month tend to get addicted. At the very least, I would want to make sure that I "got my money's worth" each month and I'm not sure if I have that sort of attention span. And I'm grateful for that.

|MaguS|
01-09-07, 07:03 PM
Awsome! Thats going to help the game alot... better servers and more updates.

I will definetly get it now...

Oh and if you didn't read the article, the Online aspect will have many exclusive and unique features that the single player wont have. Basically they made two games, a MMO and a normal SP game.

SH0DAN
01-09-07, 08:16 PM
I'm still sold,as they is likely going to be the first game that both my wife and I can play together ! She has been interested in H:L since she first saw it last Nov of 06.I have been following it since 05.This will be the first game I can think of,where I will be buying two copies at launch :) I am thrilled about her more then passing interest in the game.Heck her Oblivion
character is far more advanced then mine.I have a level 7 dark elf mage,and she is rocking a 19th level thief !

OWA
01-10-07, 03:01 PM
Thank god i only play SP :o
ditto. :)

Tygerwoody
01-10-07, 03:32 PM

exactly my thoughts... word for word.

I actually get excited when I hear about a monthly paying game. That why I know its a higher chance of getting quality. Ever played a free MMORPG? :thumbdwn:

Badboy_12345
01-10-07, 04:35 PM

Oh and if you didn't read the article, the Online aspect will have many exclusive and unique features that the single player wont have. Basically they made two games, a MMO and a normal SP game.

well the whole problem is that it isnt a MMO...
Its will be in the same style as guild wars.. I aint paying a monthly subscription for that crap :thumbdwn:
Thats why I didnt buy Dungeon and dragons online either.

And this was one of my most anticipated games of 2007....
This sucks major ass :mad:

this is just pure greed from the developers.. and I hate to see ex blizzard employers seeing dollor signs instead of making a good game...

It is like blizzard would require a subscription fee for diablo 2 multiplayer :rolleyes:

Badboy_12345
01-10-07, 04:36 PM
exactly my thoughts... word for word.

I actually get excited when I hear about a monthly paying game. That why I know its a higher chance of getting quality. Ever played a free MMORPG? :thumbdwn:

IT IS NOT AN MMORPG!
stop calling it that

BioHazZarD
01-10-07, 04:37 PM
Look at Guild wars.. thats a real mmorp and its totally free.. suddenly this game aint feeling so hot except for a good sp run... very bad decision on monthly fees i hate them.

|MaguS|
01-10-07, 04:51 PM
Look at Guild wars.. thats a real mmorp and its totally free.. suddenly this game aint feeling so hot except for a good sp run... very bad decision on monthly fees i hate them.

No GW isn't MMO at all... While Hellgate wont be an MMO I think the subscription aspect will help its online rather then hinder it. Lots of RPGs that go online rarely get actual content patches, look at Diablo 2... its the same thing over and over again, the only thing that patches did was balancing and fixing... never really added new quests or lands to explore.

SH0DAN
01-11-07, 01:21 AM
I have changed my stance on this,and I am against the monthly fee's...

zoomy942
01-11-07, 11:02 AM
No GW isn't MMO at all... While Hellgate wont be an MMO I think the subscription aspect will help its online rather then hinder it. Lots of RPGs that go online rarely get actual content patches, look at Diablo 2... its the same thing over and over again, the only thing that patches did was balancing and fixing... never really added new quests or lands to explore.

wait wait wait.. GW isnt an MMO? its online, same format as WoW, just not so damed slow, and you level up your character. sure, its not the same gameplay as WoW, but if GW had a fee, it would be compared to WoW. just becuase it doesnt have a fee doesnt mean its not an MMO. :)

but i love you anyway:)

|MaguS|
01-11-07, 11:07 AM
wait wait wait.. GW isnt an MMO? its online, same format as WoW, just not so damed slow, and you level up your character. sure, its not the same gameplay as WoW, but if GW had a fee, it would be compared to WoW. just becuase it doesnt have a fee doesnt mean its not an MMO. :)

but i love you anyway:)

Its not an MMO because its not Massive Multiplayer. Its Diablo 2... The world isn't persistent. You wont run into anyone by just wandering around. In WoW you can be with your group exploring a cave and run into another group of people you never met before... Hell, The only part of the game that allows more then 12 people in a single area are the towns...

Oh and Dungeons and Dragons Online isn't an MMO either even though it claims to be... Its like GW but alittle more expanded, you can have raids in the game...

zoomy942
01-11-07, 11:08 AM
Its not an MMO because its not Massive Multiplayer. Its Diablo 2... The world isn't persistent. You wont run into anyone by just wandering around. In WoW you can be with your group exploring a cave and run into another group of people you never met before... Hell, The only part of the game that allows more then 12 people in a single area are the towns...

Oh and Dungeons and Dragons Online isn't an MMO either even though it claims to be... Its like GW but alittle more expanded, you can have raids in the game...
very very good points. i stand corrected-ish:)

J-Mag
01-11-07, 11:21 AM
Its not an MMO because its not Massive Multiplayer. Its Diablo 2... The world isn't persistent. You wont run into anyone by just wandering around.

Yeah I always thought that instances defeated the purpose of MMO's.

Tygerwoody
01-11-07, 11:31 AM
IT IS NOT AN MMORPG!
stop calling it that
ok jackass, the title of the thread was "MMO with subscription fee". I haven't been following this game very closely so how the hell am I suppose to know? This is also what you would describe as a "real MMO". If you think Guild Wars isn't an MMO, then neither is WoW, and niether is EQ2.

Either way, i'll be buying it. Just to make you angry I'll tell everyone how wonderful my "MMO" i have been playing is. Thats right, i called HellGate: London an MMO. Whatcha gunna do "badboy"? (nana2)

Tygerwoody
01-11-07, 11:32 AM
Yeah I always thought that instances defeated the purpose of MMO's.
Same, instances are ****ing lame. EQ1 is a perfect example of how things SHOULD be done....

actually now that I think of it... I don't believe Vanguard had instances either. A step forward I'd say... even though its a crappy game. :D

|MaguS|
01-11-07, 11:36 AM
ok jackass, the title of the thread was "MMO with subscription fee". I haven't been following this game very closely so how the hell am I suppose to know? This is also what you would describe as a "real MMO". If you think Guild Wars isn't an MMO, then neither is WoW, and niether is EQ2.

Either way, i'll be buying it. Just to make you angry I'll tell everyone how wonderful my "MMO" i have been playing is. Thats right, i called HellGate: London an MMO. Whatcha gunna do "badboy"? (nana2)

WoW is a MMO and EQ2 is a partial one, almost every zone in EQ2 supports instances while WoW uses it mainly for dungeons and events, the main world is all a single instance and persistent.

J-Mag
01-11-07, 12:02 PM
Same, instances are ****ing lame. EQ1 is a perfect example of how things SHOULD be done....

I can see why instances were dreamed up by developers because it sucks when population levels are high on a server and everyone is killing this crap you want to kill.

There are better methods to prevent this IMO.

|MaguS|
01-11-07, 12:05 PM
I like instances when its done for a controlled story element or for the end boss of a raid... One thing I disliked about EQ was that asshats can walk in on a boss fight and literally steal it right from under you if they had enough damage.

Tygerwoody
01-11-07, 02:05 PM
I like instances when its done for a controlled story element or for the end boss of a raid... One thing I disliked about EQ was that asshats can walk in on a boss fight and literally steal it right from under you if they had enough damage.
bah, thats what made EQ so great. The politics that went on in EQ were just unreal. If you EVER screwed someone over(kill stealing for example...) in the future at some point you would get the brunt end of it. Justice was always served, one way or another. I LOVED the fact people could kill steal and even steal loot. It made REAL drama. While, I never really kill stole(unless i was mad at someone :p) or stole loot and have been kill stole from and had people steal loot from me, I wouldnt change it for anything. EQ in the begining years was about as pure of an MMORPG as you could get.

|MaguS|
01-11-07, 02:07 PM
bah, thats what made EQ so great. The politics that went on in EQ were just unreal. If you EVER screwed someone over(kill stealing for example...) in the future at some point you would get the brunt end of it. Justice was always served, one way or another. I LOVED the fact people could kill steal and even steal loot. It made REAL drama. While, I never really kill stole(unless i was mad at someone :p) or stole loot and have been kill stole from and had people steal loot from me, I wouldnt change it for anything. EQ in the begining years was about as pure of an MMORPG as you could get.

Im not talking about normal mobs but kill stealing end game bosses were a big issue. All the work it takes to clear the way to them just to have another raiding party come in on your wake and kill the boss was just lame.