PDA

View Full Version : Building New System Kentsfield+8800gtx

thunderhippo
01-10-07, 11:00 AM
Hello all,

I wanted to run this machine spec by you all before I order it.
I plan on using it to run the latest games and also as a render node for maya8, hence the quad core. It has been some time since I have built a new rig so any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. First question would be, do I have all the correct parts that will work with each other. This will be my first intel box since I had dual p2s.

My current rig has athlon 64 3000+ and a 6800 ultra.

Rundown:

Case: COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 RC-830-SSN2-GP Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Powersupply: ENERMAX GALAXY EGA850EWL ATX / BTX 850W Power Supply

Motherboard: EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Proc: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562QX6700

Vidcard: eVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5 - Retail

thunderhippo
01-10-07, 04:17 PM
Ordered and on it's way!
Just wondering how long the 'on it's way" part will take.

Spartan 117
01-10-07, 05:51 PM
I have similar specs, and I love it, thats all you need to know, but I have the Nvdia Edition which is black and green :)

Single Player
01-10-07, 06:04 PM
is it like.... are you people buying those cpus for a reason or because you can afford it?

Spartan 117
01-10-07, 06:05 PM
I multitask a lot, and yeah, I can afford it, and I like having the latest :)

loafer87gt
01-10-07, 09:07 PM
Yeah - I love my QX6700. Rendering out a scene that used to take about 16 minutes on my dually Xeon 3.2 now takes only a shade over 3 minutes. Very fast processor for graphics and multimedia work.

HeavyH20
01-10-07, 10:44 PM
I run VM Ware, and it is works great. And, since the price was similar to the x6800, it made sense.

thunderhippo
01-11-07, 09:49 AM
I have to tip my hat to newegg on this one folks.
I ordered yesterday and it shipped yesterday.
It is on the truck and ready for delivery today.

I did go with a different Ram as the one I selected was overkill and more money:
I went with G.Skill only because I saw on another thread in the overclockers section that said it worked just fine.

Only bad thing to happen was the powersupply...
I upgraded to a 1000w psu at the last minute and after ordering and verification, I noticed my order was cheaper... seems that psu was out of stock.
I was able to go with a 850w but it has'nt shipped yet.

I guess it would be a bad idea to test my setup out with this psu?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148008
I don't want to fry anything but i would like to test out stuff so i know it works until my main 850w enermax shows up

Enquirer had an interesting piece on a 500w psu with dual 8800gtxs and an overclocked kentsfield. I might give it a shot after reading that.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36066

thunderhippo
01-11-07, 11:32 AM
is it like.... are you people buying those cpus for a reason or because you can afford it?

Reason for me is all the multithreaded apps I currently run.
Mental Ray uses all avail procs as well as normal maya renderer.

Also I have heard that more games will start using the different cores for physics and so forth.

Also I had the money and since it is mostly for buisness I can write it all off.

;)

Xion X2
01-11-07, 12:02 PM
I guess it would be a bad idea to test my setup out with this psu?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148008

VERY bad idea.

Enquirer had an interesting piece on a 500w psu with dual 8800gtxs and an overclocked kentsfield. I might give it a shot after reading that.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36066

Also a VERY bad idea (trusting anything the Inquirer has to say.)

thunderhippo
01-11-07, 12:51 PM
Whats the worst that can happen?

Xion X2
01-11-07, 01:07 PM
Whats the worst that can happen?

Well, how good do you think it is to run high-end parts on less voltage/amperage than is advertised it needs? How good do you think hard shutdowns are for your hard drives and installed applications? Chances are you'll have corrupted files all over the place and are risking damaging your hardware for not running the proper amount of power to your components.

A lousy PSU can affect all sorts of things. Some PSU's that are poorly built fluctuate in electrical ripple which has been well known to damage your memory and motherboard.

thunderhippo
01-11-07, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the swift reply x2..
Now this is only going to be for one day as the 850w is arriving tomorrow..
Just hard to keep your hands off it when a new toy like this is about to arrive.. I may be able to hold off but I doubt it.:captnkill:

I will only be running one 8800gtx right now.. read quite a few other threads on diff forums about using a 500w with this setup and all seemed to be ok.. even with sli 8800gtxs.
That being said, a crazy quad core proc probably needs an arseload of power as well.

For this crap PSU the volt details are: Output +3.3V@30A, +5V@32A, +12V@35A, -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2A
35a on the +12v

PDF for the evga motherboard states this:

Power Supply
The power supply requirement is dependent upon the power and the
Installing and Configuring the EVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
xlviii
number of the GPUs you install. If you are going to SLI two graphics cards,
you are going to require more power. As a rule, for one GPU you need a
minimum of a 350 W power supply. If you have two GPUs in an SLI
configuration, you will need a minimum of a 500 W power supply. To
calculate the power you are going to require for your specific configuration,
go to www.slizone.com

thunderhippo
01-11-07, 01:24 PM
Bah stupid me..

8-pin ATX 12V Power (PWR2)
PWR2, the 8-pin ATX 12V power connection, is used to provide power to the
CPU. Align the pins to the connector and press firmly until seated.

This one only has the 4pin,,

also after reading I can only get +12v @ 35a.. so its a no go fo sho, gotta have +12v @ 40a

Recommended Power Supplies
SLI System Type
Minimum Recommended PCI Express
Power Supply
High-End: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 750W and up, +12V @ 40A

Xion X2
01-11-07, 01:27 PM
A 500W Apevia is not the same thing as a 500W Silverstone, or a 500W PCPower & Cooling, or a 500W Antec, or a 500W FSP. Some PSU's, depending on name-brand, are more efficient and consistent than others.

Wattage isn't all that matters. Remember in my last post when I mentioned electrical ripple? There are a lot of factors to consider besides wattage.

Do so at your own risk. It might be fine if it's just for a day, but I sure as hell wouldn't. You're risking a 1000$ processor and 600$ graphics card on a 40$ piece of crap power-supply.

thunderhippo
01-11-07, 01:54 PM
Not even gonna touch the thing till the 850w psu gets here.
Convinced!:)

Scratch that! I touched it!
Got it all together cept psu...

What you think of this one: Antec TruePower Trio 650W
Slizone seems to think its ok for 8800gts

thunderhippo
01-11-07, 06:36 PM
How about the goop?
Do you need goop for these new procs? like arctic silver or whatever?
Included fan has none like amd procs and no where in the instruct for the chip did it mention thermal grease.
The included fan and heatsink did have some sort of padding that resembled thermal paste but im not turning it on till i know for sure..

any ideas?

Xion X2
01-11-07, 07:38 PM
Are you using the stock Intel fan? If so, then there should be a square sized bit of paste on the heatsink.

If you want, you can remove it w/ some Isopropyl Alcohol or Arctic Silver Thermal Compound Remover and apply your own stuff. Zalman Thermal Grease (STG-1) or AS5 would be a good way to go.

And there are much better heatsink-fans out there if you feel frisky and want to keep your Kentsfield cooler.

thunderhippo
01-11-07, 10:37 PM
Yeah i went through the directions and saw how they mentioned not to mess up the pads on the fan..

typing on this machine now.. works great!

First time i ever put a box together and had it work on the first boot up.
:captnkill:

now where can i find some killer 8800 demos... hmmm

Amuro
01-12-07, 01:50 AM
Yeah i went through the directions and saw how they mentioned not to mess up the pads on the fan..

typing on this machine now.. works great!

First time i ever put a box together and had it work on the first boot up.
:captnkill:

now where can i find some killer 8800 demos... hmmm
Congrats man!
I was not as lucky as you are when I built my new rig. I couldn't get it to POST, black screen and nothing, no beepcodes because my case doesn't have a speaker, so I took the board and ram to the store where I bought them for testing, and it turned out one stick of RAM was dead.

thunderhippo
01-12-07, 01:22 PM
Thanks bro.. very suprised how easy it all was.
When I work with new tech that is this expensive I always get a little freaked...

This makes me very happy: