PDA

View Full Version : Getting banned.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Monolyth
01-10-07, 11:27 AM
As you can guess this topic is all about getting banned on gaming servers...

So I'll just start with my story, it's a lot like a Disney story, full of hardships to overcome and eventually be thankful for...okay maybe not.

I've been FPSing for nearly 10 years now, a couple years going to WoW unfortunately, but still during that time I played CS here and there. As far as Counter-Strike 1.6 goes, I've been playing since Beta 3, I've owned 3 servers, administered several servers and even administered communities. Now one of the main reasons for me starting my own server (with some friends of course) was to get away from being banned for 'hacking'.

I'm never a troublemaker in-game, I keep to myself which may make me come off as a bit 'unfriendly', but I'm there to game so I game. Playing as long as I have I've realized it is better to ignore 'hack' threats then to explore them, and if I'm on one of my servers, usually it is one of my friends that has been with me for years that vouches for me. But if I'm on someone else's server I of course am on my own.

So last night I fire up CS 1.6 and hop into a server called ||MEAN's|||Slaughterhouse|| or something like that, I had been regging there for awhile and enjoy some of the competition there. Well that night there was one admin on and he was screwing around teleporting people etc (things I rarely ever did as admin).

So we play round after round, and then the map switches to scoutzknivez3. It wasn't until this point that the accusations started flying, all night long I had top score usually at least 30/10, or better. All of the sudden I am wall-hacking, when clearly there's no way I could. Do I pre-fire entrances? Yes, who doesn't? So I'm 53/18 on scoutzknivez3 with time to spare and boom I get banned, no word, no nothing.

Now I'm not one to usually be hung up on things like this but what bothers me are people that can't take a beating and keep going. The only way to get better is to play better players and learn from them.

So anyway, this is like the 10th server in my CS 1.6 lifespan that I've been banned from lol. And the funny thing is, I've never had a hack, and my "VAC Status" is "In good standing.".

/end rant.

So how about you guys? Ever get banned for 'hacking'?

BOOOM HEADSHOT!!!!

FastRedPonyCar
01-10-07, 11:33 AM
I've never gotten banned for that stuff becuase I'm not good enough for anyone to think me a cheater :o

Anyways, though I can see both sides of the issue here. I used to be pretty stinking good at UT2K3 back in the day and at lan parties, it was always me at the top of the scoreboard by a huge margin. There were always a few guys in the room that were accusing me of cheating or hacking. This led to the admins making me uninstall the game and do a fresh re-install under their supervision and then play the game under their supervision.

While it was annoying, it was to shut all the nay sayers up. It worked but they were still bitter about it becuase the ass kickings didn't stop.

I'm sure if I were getting killed though, I'd be wondering if I really sucked THAT much or if the other guy was THAT good.

Ancient
01-10-07, 11:48 AM
I used to get banned in Q3A quite a bit, even though I never used hacks. I was pretty good, particularly in CTF. My favorite thing was to go into clan servers and put the smack down on the local boyz, usually propping up the mediocre players and llamas that the clannies were destroying. Inevitably getting owned so badly would p them off and they'd ban me from playing their server. It was fun getting banned.

Toss3
01-10-07, 12:09 PM
This is why public servers suck; you get banned because you're too good. I remember getting banned from a lot of servers because some 12 year olds didn't want to get owned. I've never used any cheats, nor hacks of any type. Getting banned from a server has sadly become a norm in Counter-Strike nowadays, but thankfully there are some hundreds of thousand of servers out there! ;)

Riptide
01-10-07, 12:53 PM
I've seen first hand proof that cheating in CSS is a piece of cake. You can go d/l hacks for it that let you see the enemy on your radar, disable the effects of flash grenades, etc.. And all of this works without VAC kicking you.

I have no doubt in my mind that there are a LOT of cheaters playing that game.

Now as far as prefiring entrances and that sort of thing I haven't seen many people doing that and while I'm not accusing you of cheating look at that for just a second. You can see how that could be seen as a cheat since you "knew someone was there before turning the corner".

Honestly I'm starting to get sick of CSS and when UT2007 comes out I can't wait to move on. I've seen way to much BS in CSS - far moreso than any other game I've ever played.

de><ta
01-10-07, 12:59 PM
I got banned for saying "ass" on a Christian BF2 server...

Xion X2
01-10-07, 01:07 PM
If you're really good at a certain game the accusations will always start flying. I get accused of hacking on Halo all the time from people because I'm usually 1st in rocket slayer 85-90% of the games I play in and have been kicked a few times for that reason.

Namrok
01-10-07, 01:12 PM
I used to know a bunch of guys who would compete (and win) in tourny's who would get banned from servers all the time for "hacking". The reality was just that they knew the game inside and out, played so much they knew all the nooks and crannies n00bs would hide in, and would reflexively shoot exactly where you head you would be if you were crouching in that corner like that 1000 people before you did. Then they would get banned for cheating.

*Shrug* Whatever, I've nicknamed Counter-Strike the game of hating just because of how blatantly frustrating it is if you aren't top dog on the server. I don't know how many lan parties I used to goto in HS where everyone would be saying "Hey, lets play Counter-Strike, we always have fun playing Counter-Strike" and less than 30 seconds into a round it's just people screaming and shouting obscenities. Yeah...that sounds like fun...where do I sign up.

Then again, CS is antithetical to my pet peeves in gaming. One, when I lose, I want to get back in the action ASAP. Loading times, waiting for the round to end, extended death animations, waiting for cut scenes to finish before I can play again, all things that piss me off. CS also commits the sin of impossible scenarios. 90% of the time you get killed there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it. You are just dead. One shot, never saw him, never heard him, helmet does nothing, body armor does nothing.

All in all, give me a game like Quake or Unreal Tournament any day. You die? So what! Get your ass back in there! Getting shot? You actually have time to turn around and shoot back! Your team has been losing several rounds in a row? Well we aren't going to screw you over any further, weapons for everyone! I think the people who play CS are actually masochist.

ViN86
01-10-07, 01:12 PM
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Banned from about 5 servers for "hacking"

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Banned from over 20 servers for "hacking"
Banne from a few clean-language servers for "accidentally" swearing :bleh:

Counter Strike: Source
Banned from 3 servers for "hacking"
Banned from 2 more servers for "profane language"
Banned from another server for calling the admin a "douchebag"

ive been temporarily banned from more servers than this for a combination of things.

when my brother and i play in servers we always get kicked or banned for calling players names and talkin **** and killin everybody. we dont just start with ppl, but they start complaining and running their mouths, so we put em in their place. no regrets lol.

thenerdguy
01-10-07, 01:20 PM
I get accused of hacking alot in CSS, Alot of kids spray and dont use duck.

Riptide
01-10-07, 01:21 PM
Someone mentioned to me a long time ago about the seeming "randomness" of CSS. I've even been shot through a brick wall in that game (you can see the tracer showing the bullet path after death) and that made no sense. Was he cheating or is the game just effin retarded? I'm starting to think more the latter. Furthermore there are times when I've been shot that made no sense. Someone strafing back and forth with a deagle a long ways off and yet one shot and I'm dead. WTF? BS. Other example a few days ago I was crouched with an M4, the other guy didn't even see me. We were at medium range. I opened up on him and there is no way in hell that I was missing yet somehow he (while he was taking hits, I saw blood) flips around, spots me, and bang I'm dead. That is exactly the kind of garbage that game is famous for and I'm starting to get pretty tired of it.

Rakeesh
01-10-07, 01:23 PM
Who hasn't ever been banned?

Try the most ridiculous reason for being banned:

I had an admin TK me on purpose, and then when I did it back to him I got banned.

dsessom
01-10-07, 01:24 PM
I have never been banned from a server. Then again, I suck at most games.

:D

Rakeesh
01-10-07, 01:24 PM
Someone mentioned to me a long time ago about the seeming "randomness" of CSS. I've even been shot through a brick wall in that game (you can see the tracer showing the bullet path after death) and that made no sense. Was he cheating or is the game just effin retarded? I'm starting to think more the latter. Furthermore there are times when I've been shot that made no sense. Someone strafing back and forth with a deagle a long ways off and yet one shot and I'm dead. WTF? BS. Other example a few days ago I was crouched with an M4, the other guy didn't even see me. We were at medium range. I opened up on him and there is no way in hell that I was missing yet somehow he (while he was taking hits, I saw blood) flips around, spots me, and bang I'm dead. That is exactly the kind of garbage that game is famous for and I'm starting to get pretty tired of it.

I rarely play CS:S when I have it installed for this reason. I've fired at peoples feet and gotten headshots way too many times.

Namrok
01-10-07, 01:34 PM
Who hasn't ever been banned?

Try the most ridiculous reason for being banned:

I had an admin TK me on purpose, and then when I did it back to him I got banned.

Be glad he wasn't a cop :p My dad once had this asshole tailgate him constantly. So my dad would speed up, and the guy would tailgate him. My dad would change lanes, try to let him pass, but he'd just stay on my dads bumper. 50 mph, 55, 60, 65, 70, then the tailgater turned out to be a cop and pulled my dad over and gave him a big fat ticket.

ViN86
01-10-07, 01:37 PM
its all code though, so when you learn the tendencies, its not as random as it seems. for example, when you fire a rifle, you have to slowly aim down as you continue to fire due to the the spray. in the end, youll end up aiming at the guy's feet, yet youre hitting him in the head, heh.

Imbroglio
01-10-07, 01:42 PM
all i can say is that there are ppl that are good at online games

and there are ppl that run their mouth in online games

me, i am very much of both.

you complain, i run my mouth and frag you several times to boot. ending up in you leaving or me being kicked/banned.

why am i an asshole, because i've played enough hours online in fps to know what ppl are good and what ppl are just complaining. if you are good and a noob gets off a lucky shot, sure complain. but if you complain everytime someone kills you, or complain about being killed by an obviously ****ty player, watch out, cause then my mouth starts.

it also pisses me off when i just join a server, start raging and then everyone joins in on, imbro's so lucky he sucks, f you look at the scoreboard douche.

as far as hacking, i used to have submit demos of myself to other clans after league matches in ET. yes i know the game inside and out, and yes the game was tweaked within league guidelines but i still had the advantage.

Riptide
01-10-07, 01:47 PM
its all code though, so when you learn the tendencies, its not as random as it seems. for example, when you fire a rifle, you have to slowly aim down as you continue to fire due to the the spray. in the end, youll end up aiming at the guy's feet, yet youre hitting him in the head, heh.Sorry dude I disagree. It absolutely IS random. At least at times. The crosshairs in that game do not collapse down unless you quit moving and I've seen people make head shots at long range with an AK whilst strafing side to side. No, that is BS. There is no "I'm just good enough to do it". I don't buy it. The game will not allow for that sort of accuracy on any sort of consistent basis. Anyone who is consistent in that way is either lucky or a cheater.

Not to mention it's completely and totally unrealistic (CSS) in more ways than that. Can't wait for UT2007. :D

t6_shadow
01-10-07, 01:47 PM
I got banned for saying "ass" on a Christian BF2 server...

I find it hilarious that people play games with massive amounts of murder, death and destruction in them and balk at the first sign of a swear word. That IMHO is stupidity on a high level. I can understand if every word out of the persons mouth is an expletive but if I say "****" because my clip empties before I can kill that third guy it hardly qualifies for a ban.

I was a CS FIEND back in the day. It was the only game that could hold me attention. Anyways I have gotten banned from countless servers for hacking. I never did I just lived and breathed that game, like Namrock was saying I knew every nook, cranny, noob and pro tactic alike. LOL the biggest issue I had was "ghosting" people would always accuse me of that. But if they were NOT noobs they would know that there are levels in CS where there is only a single spot/door whatever that makes a certain sound. You play with a good set of headphones and you can hear noises like that half way across the level.

Sadly I no longer play cs. It very hard to find a server that is not full of morons, assholes or retarded settings. Quite frankly any cs server admins that put all talk on should be shot in real life. Not only does it make the tactical voice feature useless but its turns the game into a 14 year old trash talking session that is so loud I can't hear my gun fire.

Scunner
01-10-07, 01:53 PM
I used to play original UT, giant maps, low gravity and ESR. The one shot, one kill from the other side of the map was fun, but it got dull after a while, so I switched to rocket launcher. I got banned from a clan's server because I had apparently hacked my rockets so that they'd lock onto a target and follow them.

And here was me thinking that was a design feature of the weapon? :rw:

When I retaliated, they accused me of cheating because I got so close to them without being hit, and must have had a reticule which predicted where they'd land. Right on both counts, except that I got good at simply weaving and anticipating where they'd touch down.

Splash damage ftw.

Then there's the COD2 admin who banned me because I'd only use bolt action rifles on an all-weapon server. He didn't think it was natural...

Riptide
01-10-07, 01:55 PM
Honestly CSS is the only multiplayer game I've ever played where randomness and hitbox wonkiness was a factor. UT2004 was perfect as was Quake3 in that regard. I can't recall ever being killed in those games and sitting there going "What the hell?" afterwards. CSS on the other hand is a whole different story.

Namrok
01-10-07, 02:01 PM
Honestly CSS is the only multiplayer game I've ever played where randomness and hitbox wonkiness was a factor. UT2004 was perfect as was Quake3 in that regard. I can't recall ever being killed in those games and sitting there going "What the hell?" afterwards. CSS on the other hand is a whole different story.

This is a debate that rages on in perpetuity. There are a plethora of videos showcasing how horrible and random Valves netcode is. Valve turns around and claims its a "feature" not a bug, and all the CS fans say its not random, they are just good.

I see it like this. Everything about Valves netcode is wrong. Everything. But it is still consistently wrong, so if you just learn to play in its completely unintuitive, painful manner, you will win. Still, when every other game has netcode which is leaps and bounds better, more intuitive, and more fun, why bother learning to accommodate the retarded cousin of all the other online shooters? You know why CS is so popular? Battered wife syndrome. People feel the need to keep playing until they get good, so they can feel satisfied. And the more time they plunk down into it, the more they feel like they have to get good or they've wasted their time. It's just like MMOs, except that MMO's constantly dangle something sparkly in front of you that requires a billion hours of grinding to get.

Riptide
01-10-07, 02:08 PM
Hehe you're right about the "battered wife" angle to it. ;)

Me I just play to have fun. But I know people that FREAK out about that game and make asses of themselves.

After years of playing it I think I'm finally starting to have my fill.

Dudes__Geof_
01-10-07, 02:18 PM
A couple rounds in halo once I was doing amazingly well. Next round after I had been called a 'hacker', i started sucking horribly.

That only happened once and it really does suck, especially when you know you are playing 100% honestly.

Roadhog
01-10-07, 02:33 PM
never been banned for hacking. Been accused of it numerous times.