PDA

View Full Version : why a pure 16x rgss mode would work and be best.

kevJ420
01-10-07, 02:26 PM
1. there's the fps sacrifice available (especially with 2 8800gtx in sli): it will still run fast. the voodoo5 6000 could do 8x RGSS and without too much of a performance hit. that was in 2000.

2. it's looks better: textures are better, no shader aliasing, no color compression, no shadow aliasing, and it still gets edges and lines much better (pretty much perfectly) than msaa; 4x rgss looks better than 16xQ msaa.

3. compatibility: in fact i believe (but i could be wrong), that it would work w/ (all) games that don't normally support aa and less confusion, and the driver mode would always work no worrying about ingame settings.

would love to have this sample pattern:
..o..o..o..o
o..o..o..o..
..o..o..o..o
o..o..o..o..
(o=texture and geometry point)

ViN86
01-10-07, 03:38 PM
:wtf:

thanks?
:confused:

kevJ420
01-10-07, 04:45 PM
csaa and msaa are faster but they don't look as good as rgss w/o color compression. imo, the benchmark scores are so high that they suggest it's time to do rgss. csaa is actually for extra performance, for the same image quality. it technically doesn't increase image quality. i think iq should be the very best it can be. but most people disagree with me i guess, since most people would rather have extremely high benchmark numbers and sacrifice iq. i'm thankful they perfected trilinear af, however. trilinear af is perfect now w/ the 8800 series.

anyways i'm opening up another forum for some questions about lvds vs tmds, i'll need fellow nvidia users' help before i can buy a monitor.

Toss3
01-10-07, 05:03 PM
Never even heard about rgss before.. :wtf: You couldn't do us the favor of posting comparisons between it and msaa? I'd really like to see how an aa method used back in 2000 could look better than what we have today. :)

saturnotaku
01-10-07, 05:25 PM
2. it's looks better: textures are better, no shader aliasing, no color compression, no shadow aliasing, and it still gets edges and lines much better (pretty much perfectly) than msaa; 4x rgss looks better than 16xQ msaa.

In terms of smoothing edges, yes, that form of AA does a better job. However, having recently experimented with a Voodoo5, the image tends to get a bit blurry. It's a tradeoff I'm sure many could live with, but it's something to note.

kevJ420
01-10-07, 05:59 PM
thanks for your interest and backing me up. i apologize for using lime coloring on my other post. also the 3dfx voodoo5 did just plain bilinear filtering, and it had a default very high lod bias whereas today the 8800gtx has a neutral lod bias and full trilinear angle invariant af at high quality mode.

grimreefer
01-10-07, 06:07 PM
wait, 16xq isnt enough for some ppl? i know its a mix of msaa and csaa, but cmon, its virtually perfect isnt it?

icecold1983
01-10-07, 06:09 PM
wait, 16xq isnt enough for some ppl? i know its a mix of msaa and csaa, but cmon, its virtually perfect isnt it?

no it isnt even close to perfect. msaa/csaa issnt too good for antialiasing very small polygons from all angles. and it doesnt antialias shaders or textures.

aweigh0101
01-10-07, 10:14 PM
The shader/texture aliasing is what gets me. I would much, MUCH rather play a game @ 1024x768 BUT with an AA method that anti-aliased EVERYTHING.

8xCSAA doesn't do it for me. Is there any way to bring back MS+SSAA methods on the 8800's? I used to use "Combined 4xAA" a lot with my old 6800Ultra. MS+SS = better IQ than CSAA.

agentkay
01-11-07, 03:09 AM
I rather have shader/texture aliasing instead a blurry image. If I wanted a blurry image I would game on consoles. :p

retsam
01-11-07, 03:16 AM
The shader/texture aliasing is what gets me. I would much, MUCH rather play a game @ 1024x768 BUT with an AA method that anti-aliased EVERYTHING.

8xCSAA doesn't do it for me. Is there any way to bring back MS+SSAA methods on the 8800's? I used to use "Combined 4xAA" a lot with my old 6800Ultra. MS+SS = better IQ than CSAA.
i thought this could be foreced through nhancer?no?

kevJ420
01-11-07, 10:49 AM
I rather have shader/texture aliasing instead a blurry image. If I wanted a blurry image I would game on consoles. :p

see the last sentence of my last post for why it would not be blurry on an 8800gtx, and why it was only blurry on the voodoo5. i failed to elaborate in that post. i'm terribly sorry.

DaveW
01-11-07, 11:32 AM
16X CSAA didn't look any better than 4X MSAA to me. It doesn't work well at angles close to vertical or horizontal and doesn't work with small polygons (e.g. wires, antenna, telephone cables etc), the exact times when aliasing is most noticable. So if it doesn't help in situations where anti-aliasing is most needed, whats the point?