PDA

View Full Version : Is this the dirtiest PC ever?

AthlonXP1800
01-11-07, 05:40 AM
http://www.theinq.com/default.aspx?article=36876

Wow I think it the dirtiest PC I ever seen, it far much worsen than I saw inside my sister PC years ago.

crainger
01-11-07, 05:52 AM
Holy Moly!

I've seen some bad dust rill rusted out PCs, but nothing that bad!

Orsenfelt
01-11-07, 07:48 AM
I bet it can still fire up a good game of solitaire! lol.

PS: What ever happened to those old style PSU's that fed your monitor too.. =(

Capt. Picard
01-11-07, 07:54 AM
I seen worse.

I once worked at a PC repair shop and we got a computer in that was filled just like that one with red iron ore dust. I was from a contractor at a steel plant. Besides that, the computer also permanantly stood next to an open window 2 kilometers from the sea. It was rusted beyond repair.

CaptNKILL
01-11-07, 09:00 AM
That is horrible, but some of the worst PCs I've ever seen were from homes or from garages.

Grease and oils from cooking or from machinery are far FAR messier than any kind of dust.

The most disgusting thing I've ever been around was a computer that was obviously stationed near a kitchen that cooked way too much greasy\deep fried food. When the system turned on the fans just pumped out this horrible smell of fried grease and meat and all of the dust hanging in the computer (which was a LOT) was gummy and clingy to the touch.

Computers from garages (ie, where mechanics fix cars) are also HORRIBLE. Not only are they covered with grease, coffee and dirt stains on the outside but all of the dust inside is black and usually sticky. The fans rarely turn and are clogged with a black gum.

Systems from houses with lots of cats that aren't real clean are also pretty foul. Any amount of dust\hair makes a computer pretty nasty inside but when there are cats, that "cat" smell (litter, pee and hair) just fills the room when fans are turned on.

I worked in PC repair for a couple years so I had quite a few opportunities to see some pretty disgusting computers. :barf:

BTW, there are other kinds of "dirty" too. I once worked on a system that had over 9000 spyware detected on a single ad-aware scan before the system locked up. :p

stevemedes
01-11-07, 09:26 AM
that's one of the worst ive ever seen. i helped fix one of my uncles computers once (he runs an autoshop) and it was caked with dust and grime. im surprised the fans still spun.

retsam
01-11-07, 09:39 AM
PS: What ever happened to those old style PSU's that fed your monitor too.. =(modern day GPU's. thats what happened.

thedude3213
01-13-07, 11:00 PM
Did they dig this out of the ground?

Camp0rz
01-14-07, 12:21 AM
omg

I think I see a face shaped formation north of the cpu cooler!

Rakeesh
01-14-07, 12:31 AM
People who smoke have this horrible yellowish dust caked all over every component of their computers.

buffbiff21
01-14-07, 12:35 AM
Did they dig this out of the ground?

I think they just dipped it in dirt and then called it the "World's Dirtiest Computer!" :rofl:

Not too tough to do. :D

Starscream
01-14-07, 01:11 PM
I've definitely seen worse. Back when I worked for someone else I'd often have to fix machines that came out of the mines at INCO (one of the world's largest nickel miners) and they were AWFUL.

Bman212121
01-14-07, 01:13 PM
I've seen worse as well. Thankfully I haven't seen ones as bad as you guys described, but I've seen ones that were sitting on the floor and dustballs in them.

I'm betting that PC was running during a remodeling, it sure looks like drywall to me. I can only imagine that was the inside of a few of our servers look like when they tore down a brick wall, and added in new drywalls. The servers were running 24/7, and were only protected by a piece of lou-on. (However that is spelled.)