PDA

View Full Version : This could explain the lack of drivers for 8800GTX and Vista

malachi1313
01-11-07, 05:53 PM
It could also explain the reason for that extra video chip. Go here and see how much extra bull is incorporated in writing new drivers for Vista:http://www.drmblog.com/index.php?/archives/82_Output_Content_Protection_DRM_and_Windows_Vista .html

n4cer
01-11-07, 06:32 PM
Secure Audio Path is an XP technology and is depricated.
Protected Audio Path is not implemented in Vista and is the focus of long-term research should the technology actually be required at a later date by content producers.
COPP is already available in XP. OCP/OPM is just a new revision (version 2.1, IIRC).

The protected environment is a general architecture for developers of protected media applications that provides a trusted environment (based on having all relevant components signed w/ a specific attribute) that can be used by their applications. They can plug in their particular codecs, DRM implementation, and policy for how their content should be handled. It is for the playback protected content such as digital cable, HD-DVD, BluRay, et al. It is required by such content to mirror the protections available in standalone players and settop boxes. It has no affect on unprotected media.

Driver development should only be affected through compatibility for the above scenarios. Games and unprotected media playback have zero dependencies on the protected environment.

malachi1313
01-11-07, 06:59 PM
Wouldn't some of the issues/difficulties have to be dealt with in the writing process??

n4cer
01-11-07, 08:01 PM
It'd depend on NVIDIA's implementation and whether they decided that premium content support was worth holding back a release. They could always release a driver lacking such support, and it'd be usable for everything except content which uses the protected environment.

Princess_Frosty
01-12-07, 04:08 AM
It's taking a long time because we're used to Nvidia upgrading 1 set of drivers which covers all their cards, and just adding/tweaking features.

With DX10, Vista, and the new architecture of the card the drivers have to be written from the ground up, this isn't a quick fix upgrade/tweak.

It takes time to get right.

Greeno
01-12-07, 04:26 AM
Anyone else wonder how big the driver will be? (File size).

Princess_Frosty
01-12-07, 04:32 AM
Thats interesting I didn't know that.

Makes me worried that support for SLi will be late and probably rubbish, I didn't blow loads of money on 2 cards but the performance of my 7950GX2 will be slashed in half until we get SLi support.

Greeno
01-12-07, 04:55 AM
Thats interesting I didn't know that.

Makes me worried that support for SLi will be late and probably rubbish, I didn't blow loads of money on 2 cards but the performance of my 7950GX2 will be slashed in half until we get SLi support.

I used to have a GX2, and I loved it, but now I really dislike them because I feel so let down by NVIDIA so far as driver support, profiles and such like...

I should imagine that's not too uncommon among GX2 owners...

Princess_Frosty
01-12-07, 06:00 AM
I used to have a GX2, and I loved it, but now I really dislike them because I feel so let down by NVIDIA so far as driver support, profiles and such like...

I should imagine that's not too uncommon among GX2 owners...

To be honest It's been OK for me, lack of profiles is not exactly a problem because there's a default profile used if no other can be found and that can be set to use SLi. Also you can easily create your own, and thats something I do for all my games anyhow.

My only problem is that I switched to Vista at the same time as I got my 2nd Monitor, which means I can't run SLi but dual monitors work. When SLi is supported no doubt in a few weeks time, I will have to put up with switching between dual monitors and SLi which will be really frustrating.

Other than that the card has been very good, worked great on both my mobos so far (old A8N-E and my new P5B-E)

Price per performance (bang for buck) it's great, a fair bit faster than a single 7900GTX without being much more expensive.

Giblet535
01-19-07, 07:27 AM
I'm not all that upset by the lack of Vista drivers. I primarily use Ubuntu/Beryl where the 8800GTX is fully supported by the beta driver. (Linux folks don't cater to the MPAA as much as the Vista team, I guess).

If anyone is to blame for the Vista driver issue, it's me... I just HAD to install Aero from MSDN...

If you haven't decided yet, just hold off a few weeks and install Ubuntu and Beryl instead. It's prettier (by far) and you get a lot more software for your $0 investment.

aydc
01-19-07, 07:52 AM
If you haven't decided yet, just hold off a few weeks and install Ubuntu and Beryl instead. It's prettier (by far) and you get a lot more software for your $0 investment.

I don't want that Linux crap. I want Vista. I need an OS that takes 800MB RAM just to open itself. I need an OS that suddenly starts trashing my harddisk to index my files when similar freeware programs do it 10x more effectively. I need an OS that limits what I listen to and what I watch with oh so necessary DRM protection. I need an OS that makes the jobs of driver programmers 100x harder just to include protection schemes that Hollywood wants. I want Vista. Drag & drop that free Linux crap into the recycle bin. Give me my 600$ Vista.

Giblet535
01-19-07, 08:11 AM
I want Vista. Drag & drop that free Linux crap into the recycle bin. Give me my 600$ Vista.

True. There's nothing better than that feeling you get when you look at your "idle" Vista PC, with the "Blank" screensaver running, and you notice that all your disk drives are seeking full-swing as fast as the controllers will command them (after you've spent FIVE HOURS telling Vista "No, I don't WANT these drives indexed!") and you wonder "WHAT THE HECK IS IT DOING?!"

That's a warm-n-fuzzy ya just can't get with Linux...

Princess_Frosty
01-19-07, 10:36 AM
Yeah learning how to turn off stuff you don't want is hard...

oh well...:rolleyes:

FYI you can disable one or both indexing services in Vista or change the locations it indexes to increase or decrease it's scope.