PDA

View Full Version : Carmack's view on vista

Pages : [1] 2

stjuart
01-11-07, 09:10 PM
"Carmack: It’s a tough thing for Microsoft, where, essentially, Windows XP was a just fine operating system. Before that, there were horrible problems with Windows. But once they got there, it did everything an operating system is supposed to do. Nothing is going to help a new game by going to a new operating system. There were some clear wins going from Windows 95 to Windows XP for games, but there really aren’t any for Vista. They’re artificially doing that by tying DX10 so close it, which is really nothing about the OS. It’s a hardware-interface spec. It’s an artificial thing that they’re doing there. They’re really grasping at straws for reasons to upgrade the operating system. I suspect I could run XP for a great many more years without having a problem with it." its from an interview he had on game informer.

Funny thing is that i really do think microsoft is trying to force people to upgrade and it may back fire on them and turn into window's ME. I think they would get a better adoption rate if they did it more gradually and made it seem less forced on us.
what do you guys think, on my opinion and Carmack's.

Riplayne
01-11-07, 09:31 PM
Remember though, Windows Vista is doing alot more for functionality than just gaming.

stjuart
01-11-07, 09:34 PM
Riplayne, there is no question that vista is offering more than windows xp, but its the method that microsoft is taking that disturbs me the most and i want to find out what you think about it, not the features so much, and also windows is software and anything that is on vista can theoretically be added to xp if you think about it and i think if i understood Carmack thats probably what he meant by it.

Burner_Tbird2
01-11-07, 09:41 PM
They should have given users a choice and published a DX10 for XP upgrade. However, they don't have to offer users choice of course because they are basically a monopoly. They can artificially force the market to adapt new tech quickly which boosts profit and encourages obsolescene. :thumbdwn:

lukrad
01-11-07, 10:20 PM
Vista is garbage, and i'm not installing it. And Vista is going to have short life, hopefully they replace it in two years.

Alaa
01-11-07, 10:21 PM
I agree.

Tork64
01-11-07, 10:31 PM
the same was said about Windows XP, that it was trash and that they would never ever upgrade from 98, but we all know what happened. As soon as vista is officially released ill be getting my free retail version of windows vista from microsoft and just using that for gaming from now on.

Rakeesh
01-11-07, 10:47 PM
I keep hearing people say that vista adds nothing but it seems to me that those people have never tried it very extensively. There are little tidbits here and there that have no press and are actually quite nice. Take for example if one of nvidias newer buggy drivers crashes on you, the new vista kernel has the ability to detect it and kill/restart the driver without giving you some kind of a panic (e.g. BSOD, blank screen, system crash, reboot, etc.) Not even linux does this.

Q
01-11-07, 10:52 PM
I keep hearing people say that vista adds nothing but it seems to me that those people have never tried it very extensively. There are little tidbits here and there that have no press and are actually quite nice. Take for example if one of nvidias newer buggy drivers crashes on you, the new vista kernel has the ability to detect it and kill/restart the driver without giving you some kind of a panic (e.g. BSOD, blank screen, system crash, reboot, etc.) Not even linux does this.

Evilghost walks in, roundhouse kicks everyone in the thread in the face Chuck Norris style, then tells us that Linux doesn't crash at all, much less for a driver issue.

icecold1983
01-11-07, 11:06 PM
chuck norris doesnt consider it sex if the woman survives

crainger
01-11-07, 11:17 PM
Chuck Norris has killed more threads here than anyone, including Qlitchford.

Q
01-11-07, 11:20 PM
Chuck Norris has killed more threads here than anyone, including Qlitchford.

If you go through my post history it's really damn pathetic. There are countless threads that I post in and BAM! they're dead.

you're like the a-bomb...everybody's laughing, having a good time, then BOOM, you show up, everybody's dead

I'm the #1 Thread Crapper for a reason, you know.

Toss3
01-12-07, 09:30 AM
That's reason enough to upgrade! :) AND it's purty...:wonder:

nekrosoft13
01-12-07, 09:54 AM

what if it crashes again right away, you will be in infinite loop of crashes and restarts

Marvel_us
01-12-07, 11:17 AM
what if it crashes again right away, you will be in infinite loop of crashes and restarts

I'd expect just as how you just thought of that problem, someone at MS already did and has a solution for it.

It could actually have a number of times for that to happen before rolling back to the previous driver maybe?

jcrox
01-12-07, 11:25 AM
Im weary of this Vista system. All this talk of DRM garbage and worries over licensing and talk of how much of a pain it will be to upgrade your hardware with the licensing is enough to get me to wait....and I can get it for free when it goes retail if I want. It will be interesting to see how many people really upgrade to it. For us gamers the amount of hardware it takes to run it is nothing, but for most of the people I know its way too much and they wont ever spend that kind of cash so they can have Vista when XP works fine for them. My sister-in-law is a big wig for the University of Wisconsin...between the school and hospitals and clinics I can't imagine how many thousands of computers they use but according to her, no way they upgrade before 2010 if they do at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see nearly all large corporations take this approach.... Vista could end up being a dud for Microsoft.

lumpyhed
01-12-07, 11:55 AM
I can see vista doing well on new company laptops with its added power saving features/fixed hibernate, the ability to display particular infos with the laptop closed and the ability to send to wireless projectors. But i wouldnt expect it to be on the business desktop for some years yet. Hell from others i've spoken too and ourselves we've only just finally gotten XP completely on the network ;)

DaveW
01-12-07, 11:57 AM
They’re artificially doing that by tying DX10 so close it, which is really nothing about the OS. It’s a hardware-interface spec. It’s an artificial thing that they’re doing there. They’re really grasping at straws for reasons to upgrade the operating system.

He's right. Remember that game optimization tool thing in Vista Ultimate. From what I've seen its useless, its just an app with links to defrag your harddrive, check for the latest graphics drivers etc. Stuff that gamers do already anyway. There's no benefit to gamers except DX10. Maybe someone will hack it to run on XP.

BioHazZarD
01-12-07, 12:01 PM
I might consider installing vista once 1 or 2 service packs has been released until then xp is just fine for my needs.

Q
01-12-07, 12:03 PM
I might consider installing vista once 1 or 2 service packs has been released until then xp is just fine for my needs.

One or two service packs? Expecting the transition sometime in 2012, then? ;)

evilchris
01-12-07, 12:07 PM
Vista is garbage, and i'm not installing it. And Vista is going to have short life, hopefully they replace it in two years.

Vista is great. Best OS ever so far. Even better than UbUBTnNTo

Rakeesh
01-12-07, 02:13 PM

If this was the case then your computer wouldn't even boot up.

Phyre
01-12-07, 03:30 PM
I've considered putting Vista on my new machine I'll be building in a few weeks am somewhat skiddish about doing so. The OS looks great but driver issues and such make me want to wait awhile before jumping into it.

I'm still using Windows 2000 and never made the jump to Windows XP on my gaming rig. XP was always too user friendly and too pretty for my taste. Give me a basic X-Windows interface with a good command line, and I'm happy. :)

Phyre

jAkUp
01-12-07, 09:30 PM
Why is anyone surprised? Carmack has never been supportive of Direct3D, look at what guys like Sweeny and Yerli are saying... practically the exact opposite.

pkirby11
01-12-07, 10:52 PM
Why is anyone surprised? Carmack has never been supportive of Direct3D, look at what guys like Sweeny and Yerli are saying... practically the exact opposite.

Too true, I agree 100%. I've had exstensive use with Vista Ultimate and even this early to me it's nothing short of impressive. From all the little tweaks to all the nice GUI enhancements, I love it. The minute drivers are out for all my hardware, I plan on upgrading to Vista in a heart beat. I love it, screw Carmack his games aren't even that good.