PDA

View Full Version : Almost_Everything_VWD Mod for Oblivion

Arioch
01-12-07, 03:13 AM
Is anyone with a 8800GTX / 8800GTX SLI system using this mod? I think the detail it adds to the game world is amazing but it sure destroys my FPS on my current PC. I am wondering what kind of frame rates to expect on my QX6700 / 8800GTX SLI system and if it is worth the loss of performance to get it. Keep in mind I will already be installing mods like Qarl's TP3 and other visual enhancements.

CaptNKILL
01-12-07, 04:43 AM
Yeah this mod destroyed my performance as well.

Looks good but its really not worth it. They should have used MUCH less detailed models, or even sprites to show distant objects and buildings.

Its a good idea but I don't think the engine is efficient enough with high polygon counts for them to put so much detail into the models.

What CPU are you using right now? I don't think a quad core would do much for this game but a 3.4Ghz+ Core2 would probably help out a bit... at least over what I've got now.

nekrosoft13
01-12-07, 06:39 AM
Almost_Everything_VWD....what?

CaptNKILL
01-12-07, 07:05 AM
Almost_Everything_VWD....what?
Look it up :D.

I'm not sure what the VWD stands for ("almost everything viewable" is what I call it) but it adds slightly lower detailed models of distant buildings, ruins and statues to the distant LOD terrain.

Basically it makes it so you can see things from very very far away. I think they added waaaay too much detail to the models though because it totally kills performance. It looks cool but doesnt do nearly enough to warrant the performance drop on my system.

I havent used the mod in a couple months though so maybe they have improved it a little bit.

nekrosoft13
01-12-07, 09:17 AM
i can't look it up at work, everything is blocked, stupid websence

CaptNKILL
01-12-07, 09:25 AM
i can't look it up at work, everything is blocked, stupid websence
Bah, that sucks.

ArrowMk84
01-12-07, 10:31 AM
Look it up :D.

I'm not sure what the VWD stands for ("almost everything viewable" is what I call it) but it adds slightly lower detailed models of distant buildings, ruins and statues to the distant LOD terrain.

Basically it makes it so you can see things from very very far away. I think they added waaaay too much detail to the models though because it totally kills performance. It looks cool but doesnt do nearly enough to warrant the performance drop on my system.

I havent used the mod in a couple months though so maybe they have improved it a little bit.

VWD = Visible When Distant

And it still destroys everyone's performance. There's a big thread on the official forums about optimizing the INI (prompted by the release of Qarl's Texture Pack 3 Beta), and removing AEVWD has been one of the biggest recommendations.

On Canadian Ice's forums, there's a guy (Jacko) adding in rocks, as well as buildings, into the LOD meshs. He claims he's getting go performance, and I think he's redoing all of the meshs as well, so his mod might be a great replacement for AEVWD.

CaptNKILL
01-12-07, 10:48 AM
VWD = Visible When Distant

And it still destroys everyone's performance. There's a big thread on the official forums about optimizing the INI (prompted by the release of Qarl's Texture Pack 3 Beta), and removing AEVWD has been one of the biggest recommendations.

On Canadian Ice's forums, there's a guy (Jacko) adding in rocks, as well as buildings, into the LOD meshs. He claims he's getting go performance, and I think he's redoing all of the meshs as well, so his mod might be a great replacement for AEVWD.
Thats good to hear. I've been noticing things with modding communities though. Either a lot modders arent using sufficiently powerful hardware or they are usually people that think 20fps is "smooth" enough. They are setting low standards for performance and it ends up being really bad for people that actually expect decent framerates.

I know not everyone has 8800 series cards, but you'd think if you spent a lot of time on a mod you'd have people test it on high end hardware to make sure it doesn't have any terrible performance problems. Most people playing oblivion are probably totally maxing out their video card's capabilities as it is so the extra CPU load added by the AEVWD mod isnt noticeable. Where in my case, I was getting 65fps in one area in Oblivion and with the mod installed I was getting less than 30.

I hope the new mod isnt quite as free with the polygons.

lumpyhed
01-12-07, 11:24 AM
If it runs slow for cap'n, theres no way i'm trying it _

nekrosoft13
01-12-07, 12:35 PM
someone should make a dune buggy for the game

Arioch
01-12-07, 02:14 PM
Well my CPU will be overclocked to 3.4Ghz+ but after reading comments here and doing more research I guess I will pass on this mod for now. Hopefully someone makes a sprite-based version in the future.

I am already going to install the mods as suggested by ToTo and some others like natural environments, illumination within optimized, unique landscapes, and cities alive at night for starters.

ArrowMk84
01-12-07, 03:12 PM
Well my CPU will be overclocked to 3.4Ghz+ but after reading comments here and doing more research I guess I will pass on this mod for now. Hopefully someone makes a sprite-based version in the future.

I am already going to install the mods as suggested by ToTo and some others like natural environments, illumination within optimized, unique landscapes, and cities alive at night for starters.

Texan's Window Lighting System is, IMO, better than Illumination Within. And because its just textures, there's no CPU hit.

There's been speculation that the problem with AEVWD isn't the poly count or texture resolution on the LOD models, but the DX9 overhead associated with adding in those objects; its basically the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't know if that's the case or not, but by looking at the in-game poly count, it appears to be.

BTW, to get the in-game poly count, go to the console, type in "SetDebugText 13" and then type in "tdt". It gives you a whole bunch of the GPU related stats, as well.

CaptNKILL
01-12-07, 04:04 PM
Texan's Window Lighting System is, IMO, better than Illumination Within. And because its just textures, there's no CPU hit.

There's been speculation that the problem with AEVWD isn't the poly count or texture resolution on the LOD models, but the DX9 overhead associated with adding in those objects; its basically the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't know if that's the case or not, but by looking at the in-game poly count, it appears to be.

BTW, to get the in-game poly count, go to the console, type in "SetDebugText 13" and then type in "tdt". It gives you a whole bunch of the GPU related stats, as well.
Hmm. Interesting info.

I've always been under the impression that the limitation of the NetImmersion engine used in Morrowind and Oblivion was poor polygon performance or the lack of a good LOD system for models.

Whatever it is though, it creates a severe CPU bottleneck.

SH64
01-12-07, 05:23 PM
(w/opics)

nV`andrew
01-12-07, 05:24 PM
someone should make a dune buggy for the game

LMAO that would be sooo fun (nana2)

Destroy
01-13-07, 08:45 AM
Not a single pic or link in this thread, what a waste.

OldOfEvil
01-13-07, 10:11 AM
(w/opics)

Ditto

Arioch
01-13-07, 02:35 PM
Here are a couple screenshots I took. I wanted to take some in areas where you can see a whole lot more but I can barely move around with all the mods I have installed on my current PC. I am using my current PC to test mods to see what they look like while I wait for my new system.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/9575/oblivion1sr3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/2585/oblivion2dv3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)