PDA

View Full Version : Vista login

gekkoAB
01-12-07, 05:38 PM
Hello,

I came upon a problem- I've lost my login password in windows vista. My account has admin rights so I can't figure out how to bypass login now. Is there any way to reset\recover password?

rewt
01-12-07, 06:29 PM
Probably not without some sort of hack.. or password recovery/reset disk..

MS was stupid enough to disallow login with the built-in administrator account, even in safe mode.

I had a similar issue, where my newly created account got locked out. Since the default admin account was disabled, it was impossible for me to log in. I had to run a restore/recovery on my install (using the Vista DVD) and was able to get back in.. luckily..

AthlonXP1800
01-13-07, 02:04 AM
No hack required, here is a tool for Vista. :D

http://www.loginrecovery.com/

It sound very easy method to recover the password, simply download to a bootable floppy or CD, recover the password and if you have other PC then you can decrypted it to reveal the password. :)

evilchris
01-13-07, 02:48 AM
MS was stupid enough .

I think the person who forgot their password is the stupid one, not Microsoft.

rewt
01-13-07, 07:39 AM
AthlonXP1800, my friend, how is uploading your password file to a website (in order for them to crack it) not a hack? ;)

I think the person who forgot their password is the stupid one, not Microsoft.

However, I've read many other cases of people getting locked out of their machines as well. Not just because of a forgotten password. It is sometimes Microsoft's poor implementation at fault, not the user's.

AthlonXP1800
01-13-07, 12:16 PM
AthlonXP1800, my friend, how is uploading your password file to a website (in order for them to crack it) not a hack? ;)

Opp my mistake, I didnt realised it really a hack job, it going to take them 2 days to hack it after upload the file. I think I looked at the wrong site, I found other program which is Vista compatible, it a DOS program called Active Password Changer. :D

http://www.password-changer.com/

Also there are screenshots (http://www.password-changer.com/screens.htm) of the program, it look like very easy process with the option to clear user password.

LycosV
01-13-07, 12:49 PM
However, I've read many other cases of people getting locked out of their machines as well. Not just because of a forgotten password. It is sometimes Microsoft's poor implementation at fault, not the user's.

I don't know. I've never been locked out of any computer I've used. If anyone is afraid of getting locked out they can make one of those password recovery disks or create another user account in case something bad happens. Or you could always not have a password.

rewt
01-13-07, 01:24 PM
I've been locked out before on both XP and Vista. I set it up that way in XP. As a security measure, my account gets locked out if I type the wrong password twice in a row. As you could imagine, this helps protect against brute force attacks (both locally and remotely).

The big difference is, with Windows Vista, if something goes wrong you can't always log in as Administrator (because it is disabled by default) :\ It is possible to get totally locked out of your own machine, which is just silly..

There are of course other situations where an account might get locked out. Such as when security event logs are full. You have to log in as Administrator to manage that.