PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX, not getting past post because of monitor?

Flibble
01-13-07, 07:21 AM
Motherboard: ASUS P5N32-E SLI

So here's the problem. The machine isn't getting past post, I get one long beep and three short beeps. Handily the motherboard manual exclaims "See BIOS beep codes table below" in chapter 3, but alas there is no table. Silly manual. *sigh* So I did a search on the Asus site and all I could find was that this might be video card related.

So, here's my question. It's been a long time since I've built computers and my knowledge is lacking a little now. The EVGA 8800 GTX has dual DVI outputs and I'm trying to connect it to an Iiyama Pro 454 CRT monitor. This sounds crazy to me, but is it erroring because the monitor isn't compatible? The machine won't boot even with no monitor connected or is that expected behaviour nowadays? I'm sure if the graphics card had a VGA output, I wouldn't be having this conversation. I digress.

I've tried re-seating the card anyway just to make sure. The fan is definitely going on the video card.

What I'm hoping you're going to say is that the video card expects a DVI connection to a compatible monitor in order to boot. That'll mean that my new LCD monitor turning up next week will plug in and everything will be dandy. What I hope you're *not* going to say is that it should boot without anything attached, or that it should be able to display something on my current CRT. The CRT doesn't have a DVI port and I'm using a basic VGA monitor cable.

Any help is very much appreciated.

:)

hirantha
01-13-07, 09:04 AM
what i would do is, make sure the card is inserted properly maybe take it out and put it back.. and do you have a power supply large enough to handle the 8800 beast?

JaxMacFL
01-13-07, 09:11 AM

So here's the problem. The machine isn't getting past post, I get one long beep and three short beeps. Handily the motherboard manual exclaims "See BIOS beep codes table below" in chapter 3, but alas there is no table. Silly manual. *sigh* So I did a search on the Asus site and all I could find was that this might be video card related.

So, here's my question. It's been a long time since I've built computers and my knowledge is lacking a little now. The EVGA 8800 GTX has dual DVI outputs and I'm trying to connect it to an Iiyama Pro 454 CRT monitor. This sounds crazy to me, but is it erroring because the monitor isn't compatible? The machine won't boot even with no monitor connected or is that expected behaviour nowadays? I'm sure if the graphics card had a VGA output, I wouldn't be having this conversation. I digress.

I've tried re-seating the card anyway just to make sure. The fan is definitely going on the video card.

What I'm hoping you're going to say is that the video card expects a DVI connection to a compatible monitor in order to boot. That'll mean that my new LCD monitor turning up next week will plug in and everything will be dandy. What I hope you're *not* going to say is that it should boot without anything attached, or that it should be able to display something on my current CRT. The CRT doesn't have a DVI port and I'm using a basic VGA monitor cable.

Any help is very much appreciated.

First, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new card.

Even if there was a problem with the crt monitor you should still boot up, just wouldn't have a screen. Sounds more like your power supply needs to eat somemore pork and beans, :>), (not enough power).

Good Luck

P.S. It really helps to post system specs when presenting a problem.

Flibble
01-13-07, 09:32 AM
I don't think it's the power supply's oomph - it's a Tagan 900W beast. There are two 6 pin power leads going into the 8800 GTX - is that correct? It's sitting in the blue (nearest CPU) PCI-E x16 slot. It would be tricky to mount it in another slot without major surgery moving hard disks so I'm a bit loathe to do that.

I've reseated it a few times and I'm pretty darn certain it's snugly sat.

So what you're saying is that even without a monitor I should get past post? It's kinda what I would have thought, but you never know with all this new fangled technology.

Rest of the spec:

Core 2 Duo E6600
2x 1GB Corsair PC6400 DDR2/800 with heat sink
2 x 250GB SATA 2 Hard disks for RAID
1 x 250GB for backup/storage

I've not had it boot at all yet. I assume the POST code really does mean a video problem. As I said, the error codes aren't in the manual - not even the version you can download from the ASUS site.

Thanks for the help, really do appreciate it.

Amuro
01-13-07, 09:38 AM
I had the same problem with my Asus P5N32-E. And it turned one stick of RAM was bad. Try your RAM one stick at a time, and see if you can get it to POST.

Flibble
01-13-07, 09:50 AM
That didn't do it. Tried each stick in turn, same post error code beep.

:(

JaxMacFL
01-13-07, 10:26 AM
You got plenty of power. On my Asus mb I have an extra power plugin called 'EZ PLUG' that gives the board extra power to keep it stable. Maybe that will help, if your mb has one.

Does any of the post show up. If so, where does it hang?

Oh, and yes, the two 6 pin plugins to the card sit on top edge near the end of the card and should be connected with two dedicated pci-e lead plugins from the psu.

Flibble
01-13-07, 10:34 AM
I don't get any video output at all, so I can't get to bios or see anything of the boot, sadly.

There's no mention of an EZ Plug in the motherboard manual and there are no other power sockets on the motherboard other than the one I'm currently using.

It's really starting to do my noodle in.

*sobs*

JaxMacFL
01-13-07, 12:32 PM
The only other thing I can think of to try is clearing the cmos. The old "remove the battery from the mother board and repositioning the jumper for 30 seconds". Check your manual on 'how to' for your mb. I hope your mb hasn't bit the dust.

Good Luck

P.S. Have you tried to boot with your old video card?

Flibble
01-13-07, 01:01 PM
I've tried booting without the video card at all - I get the same error beeps albeit about 20 seconds earlier. It's almost as if with the card in place it takes a while to work out something is wrong. My old graphics card is an AGP one (it's been a while). Would this even be compatible?

I'll have a go at clearing the CMOS.

I'm actually starting to suspect the GTX itself. Sadly the other machines here won't take it so it's not as if I can just try it out in another machine.

Really do appreciate the help guys.

SlieTheSecond
01-13-07, 01:04 PM
Are you suggesting your trying a PCI-E card in an AGP slot, or an AGP card in a PCI-E?

Or if your just asking if you can. No you can not. They are not compatible with each other.

Flibble
01-13-07, 01:09 PM
Hehe... neither really! I figured AGP wouldn't be in the least bit compatible but if one of you had told me that my AGP card would work in a slot on my new motherboard, that would have given me an option to rule out something wrong with the mobo.

Clearly though, that isn't an option. :-)

lduguay
01-13-07, 01:18 PM
Try this for your beep codes
http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

You really need to try another video adapter.

Flibble
01-16-07, 02:54 PM
Just wanted to say a big thank you!

The graphics card was broken afterall. When it got shipped, a component on the end of the board was pressing directly against a hard disk. It must have had a bumpy ride and this knocked the componet free of the solder just enough to stop it working.

I guess the moral of the story is that these cards are long, and if they come close to touching anything else, be very careful when moving your PC around.

Happy now though.

Right... now to start clocking my rig... :-)