PDA

View Full Version : 768Mb XFX 8800GTX and PC instant shutdown in games

fuchsiashockz
01-13-07, 07:49 AM
Problem:
When in games (Oblivion, Marvel Ultimate Alliance etc), everything works fine with all default settings in the NVIDIA control panel and such settings as 1440x900, bloom/HDR, AA on 2x, 4, 8 or off, etc etc... I've tried all combos, BUT the pc suffers random instant power offs.
There is no error, no warning and I can turn back on straight away.

The 2 6-pin power connectors for the pci-e card come out of one cable, and after reading about instant power-off problems, as recommended, I bought a 2 molex to 6pin PCI-E connector BUT this hasn't made a difference, still I have the same shutdowns.

Any ideas?

I have tried unplugging the dvd drive and extra fan... It doesn't seem to be a heat issue as the system doesn't change from 46c even during gaming.

NOTE: I am only running a single XFX 8800gtx.

--------------
ASUS P5N32 SLI PREMIUM WIFI
768Mb XFX 8800GTX PCI-E
19 LG L194WT Wide+DVI TFT
200G WD SATA2 WD2000JS HDD
SAMSUNG DVDRW SATA x18 S183ABEBN
Intel E6700 Core2Duo 2.67GHz
Corsair DDR2 XMS 1Gb PC6400
X-power 700w Intel ATX12V Ver2.2 compliant SLI ready (ATX-700TW, efficiency >76%)

Xion X2
01-13-07, 10:52 AM
Well, I know your PSU is 700W, but that's generally the cause of random shutdowns, and that PSU seems to be a really cheap brand. For example, here's a 550W X-Power for $16 !?

http://www.outletpc.com/c0863.html

I would replace your PSU. Even if it doesn't solve your shutdown problem (which I think it probably will), you shouldn't be running such expensive components on such a cheaply made PSU. Get yourself a quality Silverstone Zeus, or OCZ, or PCP&C or Seasonic, or FSP Group.

Tho Jo Smale
01-13-07, 11:10 AM
Well, I know your PSU is 700W, but that's generally the cause of random shutdowns, and that PSU seems to be a really cheap brand. For example, here's a 550W X-Power for $16 !?

http://www.outletpc.com/c0863.html

I would replace your PSU. Even if it doesn't solve your shutdown problem (which I think it probably will), you shouldn't be running such expensive components on such a cheaply made PSU. Get yourself a quality Silverstone Zeus, or OCZ, or PCP&C or Seasonic, or FSP Group.

I concur with Xion X2,

That sounds like bad PSU behavior. Is there any warrantly remaining on your PSU? I know the OCZ ones come with 3 years warranty and when my 450W died w/ my GX2 they shipped me this nice 520w for free. Not familiar with that PSU Unit...but like he said cheap is never good.

I've had both OCZ and FSP(fortron) PSU they are quality and the manufacturer stands behind them.

JC

fuchsiashockz
01-13-07, 11:10 AM
I'm reckon you are right, despite it costing 80!

I have changed it to my previous EZ cool 700W which I changed as it only has one 6pin pci-e plug but I am using it with a molex-pcie and so far oblivion has not shutdown the pc once.

It seems the cheaper psu has higher wattage output.

Tho Jo Smale
01-13-07, 11:16 AM
I'm reckon you are right, despite it costing 80!

I have changed it to my previous EZ cool 700W which I changed as it only has one 6pin pci-e plug but I am using it with a molex-pcie and so far oblivion has not shutdown the pc once.

It seems the cheaper psu has higher wattage output.

I'd say that the previous PSU is acutally defective, The brand may be a quality brand...and 80 pounds is about $160 so it's not cheap by any means. It's just that you got a bad PSU...return it if you can.

JC

Slammin
01-13-07, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't trust any brand that sells a 500w psu for $16 and I wouldn't put that 750w psu you have in any machine I cared about. My guess is that 750w psu is not defective and is just plain junk.

Dazz
01-13-07, 06:05 PM
Well i spent 115 on my 700w PSU. It maybe something to do with the way the rails are set out.

Uberpwnage
01-14-07, 04:55 AM
Check your main 24-pin and 4/8 pin mobo connections. I was having the same problem earlier this year. My main connectors came loose because they have "easy-release" tabs which were hitting eachother due to the fact that my mobo has the 24pin and 8pin together.