PDA

View Full Version : X-Fi on the PCIe, on its way

Lazaredz
01-13-07, 11:41 AM
Saw this (http://xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20070111140528.html) over at X-bitlabs. Figured some people here would be interested.

Discuss.

spoop
01-13-07, 11:51 AM
Great, but it will probably be even buggier than the pci version.

OWA
01-13-07, 11:53 AM
I've been waiting for these to be released but I'm not sure I like the sound of that bit of information. I guess I'll have to wait for a review/preview.

nekrosoft13
01-13-07, 01:26 PM
looks weird, more like a cheap card then creative, why is the main chip so small?

no gold plated connectors in the back?

Lazaredz
01-13-07, 01:32 PM
Oh, I'm sure its aimed at OEM first but its a step foward ... sorta.

SH0DAN
01-13-07, 04:53 PM
When are these PCI Express models going to be available ? I do believe that the X-Fi chip on that card is printed on a smaller process.I want one and
want it now ! I would buy it right now if I could.

DasFox
01-13-07, 04:54 PM
We really need competition against Creative, but will it ever happen.

Yes I know the other sound card companies, but they don't support, and own the rights that Creative do.

We need alternatives!

walterman
01-13-07, 10:28 PM
Finally a PCIe sound card. I hope to see soon some DVB-S/S2 cards too, cause i'm very pissed with the PCIe migration yet.

buffbiff21
01-13-07, 10:31 PM
GOd its about time.

Too bad the Drive bay Panel wont hook up to it. :(

Crapative needs to make that cable a Round cable, not a ribbon. :thumbdwn:

harl
01-14-07, 04:46 AM
two optical spdifs?
optical input/output in a "cheap" Creative card?

4 jacks for the 7.1 instead of the three special jacks ?

That must be a fake ... :D

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3023/creafxfipciebighy8.jpg

Bman212121
01-14-07, 01:18 PM
two optical spdifs?
optical input/output in a "cheap" Creative card?

4 jacks for the 7.1 instead of the three special jacks ?

That must be a fake ... :D

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3023/creafxfipciebighy8.jpg

Like someone else said, it is probably an OEM model for certain computer makers, and not their new top of the line type of card.

@buffbiff21: All you need to do is sleeve the one that comes with it. It is very easy to cut it into 8 strips of 5 wires, and add a little sleeving to it. Or, you can send your cable to performance-pcs.com if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. I agree it should come that way, but don't let that stop you from getting rid of that ugly cable. :)

ViN86
01-14-07, 01:40 PM
like the article said, the lack of onboard memory is probably due to the higher bandwidth PCIe interface, which makes it possible to have an onboard memory buffer (aka RAM). dont know if i like the idea of my sound card eating my ram, but w/e :|

Rakeesh
01-18-07, 12:23 AM
Meh, f*ck PCI-e, I am still waiting for sound cards to have HDMI support.

Dazz
01-18-07, 02:36 AM
It's an extreme music card so no XRam and i belive that it's software based too.

SH0DAN
01-18-07, 02:39 AM
I emailed Creative and was told the new and soon to be retail available PCI-e
versions will have hardware as well as software codecs.

Dazz
01-18-07, 04:12 AM
Yeah but the card shown is the XFi music which is why the chip is so small.

hordaktheman
01-18-07, 06:43 AM
It's not an Xtreme Music but an Xtreme Audio, which is yet further down on the low-end scale.

Rakeesh
01-19-07, 08:19 AM
Meh, f*ck PCI-e, I am still waiting for sound cards to have HDMI support.

Nevermind, it looks like some gaming soundcard MFR's are opting for ADAT instead. Or at least, it seems I unwittingly bought a motherboard that has hardware support for ADAT (though I don't see the port for it? could have to buy some kind of cable that plugs into the motherboard *shrug*, either that or its TOSLINK on one end and ADAT on the other, which would make sense)

http://www.sonicfocus.com/lightdrive/index.htm

Royalty and DRM free, unlike HDMI, gotta love that. Now its just a matter of getting mainstream soundcards and amps to support it.