PDA

View Full Version : Crysis coming to 360

shungokusatsu
01-14-07, 04:11 AM
According to 1UP.com podcast.

They've been right about everything else they disclosed in their podcast.

This is a Podcast from 1UP talking with the Crysis Developers

"Basically, Far Cry is to Far Cry Instincts
as Crysis is to the 360 version of Crysis. It will be based totally on
DX9, have a different storyline in the same universe, and will NOT be a
port of the PC version."

http://zdmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/Podcasts/011207.mp3

Around 21-22 min mark

Bad_Boy
01-14-07, 04:14 AM
I thought this was always known. Back when they first showed crysis they were talking about coding for 360 and PS3 dev kits.

shungokusatsu
01-14-07, 04:20 AM
I thought this was always known. Back when they first showed crysis they were talking about coding for 360 and PS3 dev kits.

Well, Crytek came out and said they had no plans to bring Crysis over to consoles, now this news comes out.

Seeing how they're asking for PS3 programmers, I'm sure it's also headed to PS3 as well.

Bad_Boy
01-14-07, 04:25 AM
Well, Crytek came out and said they had no plans to bring Crysis over to consoles, now this news comes out.

Seeing how they're asking for PS3 programmers, I'm sure it's also headed to PS3 as well.
Ah ok. I always thought that was a "no announced plans for 360/PS3" type of talk, but that it was always coming. I remember before they said that, they said they were working heavily with PS3/360 Dev kits (actually programming around the architecture of both systems instead of quick porting), just that nothing was set in stone.

I'll try to find that old quote.

edit:

Here we go...
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=559444#post559444
/GameStar/dev: How does porting work from x86 to X360?

Cevat Yerli: In general the architecture is different of course, but they are quite a bit more similar then Xbox360 and PS3. The cpu's of PC, 360 and PS3 have only one similarity - multi-threading. As a generic cpu the Xbox 360 processor is the most powerful one, if you're taking the 7 Spu's of the PS3 into account things change. Before we had the PS3 devkits we thought PS3 and Xbox 360 were closer in design than PC and console. That's not the case though *laughs*

/GameStar/dev: So you are optimizing your engine for the cell spu's?

Cevat Yerli: Sure. We have to, because we want to utilize PS3's power in full. Accordingly the PS3 will get it's own engine architecture, kind of a sub-architecture of CryEngine 2.

/GameStar/dev: You outsourced the Far Cry Instincts port. Now you have to port yourselves?

Cevat Yerli: Umh ...

/GameStar/dev: ... the graphics interfaces are requiring an extra effort?

Cevat Yerli: Yeah, because of OpenGL ES for the PS3 we have to recode our whole rendering. If you look at it closely, CryEngine 2 will have 2 solutions for each system in total. If a developer abstracts that, the technology is optimized very specifically. Otherwise you cannot utilize the whole power. Alternatively you can abstract it in a way that it is not running on all system, then the strongest platform is losing out the most ...
Basically saying they were getting the engine running on 360/PS3 a long time ago (note the date, 06-Sep-2005).

XxDeadlyxX
01-14-07, 05:11 AM
I wouldnt expect this until mid 2008 at earliest.

Mr. Hunt
01-14-07, 08:32 AM
I won't expect it to be any decent... the Xbox far crys blew pretty bad compared to the original.

Arioch
01-14-07, 04:36 PM
I have the 360 version of Far Cry and still thought the older PC version looked better. While they did add improved effects in water with the waves the draw distance and open ended gameplay wasn't near what the PC version had.

toxikneedle
01-14-07, 06:02 PM
I won't expect it to be any decent... the Xbox far crys blew pretty bad compared to the original.
Yeah but they are doing their own ports now afaik.

shungokusatsu
01-17-07, 12:39 AM
Nevermind, Crytek came out today and said Crysis will not be on nextgen consoles in any way shape or form.

XxDeadlyxX
01-17-07, 01:26 AM
I'm guessing all that will happen is Ubisoft will take the engine and make some Crysis-ish game :bleh:

NaitoSan
01-17-07, 02:51 AM
I'm guessing all that will happen is Ubisoft will take the engine and make some Crysis-ish game :bleh:
I think that'll be FarCry 2.

nemecb
01-17-07, 11:32 AM
Crytek isn't with Ubisoft anymore, it's EA now. Of course we all know their track record...:rolleyes:

stevemedes
01-17-07, 12:36 PM
Crytek isn't with Ubisoft anymore, it's EA now. Of course we all know their track record...:rolleyes:

Yea but doesn't the developer still release the patches, not EA?

nemecb
01-17-07, 12:44 PM
I got the impression that he thought Ubisoft was going to take CryEngine 2 and port it to consoles like they did with Far Cry, which can't happen (at least not with Ubisoft).

If he meant they would make a Crysis type of game with the original Far Cry engine, I don't think that will happen either. It sounds like there is quite a bit of new stuff in Crysis that you probably couldn't do without major changes to the old engine (hence why Crytek wrote a new engine). They could do another Far Cry remake (a not-crappy one for Wii would be nice), but probably nothing approaching Crysis.

SlamDunk
01-17-07, 04:48 PM
Here's the official statement from Crytek CEO.

Cevat Yerli statement on recent Console rumors
http://incrysis.com/crysis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=250&Itemid=2

"We hope we aren't disappointing anyone, but contrary to any rumours that may be in circulation, neither Crytek nor any third parties are currently engaged in developing Crysis for console platforms. Our company's sole focus at this time is to complete Crysis for PC as well and as quickly as possible, so we can release it in a timely fashion to all who have shown such a strong interest in playing our game, while insuring we meet the high quality of game play they have come to expect.

While we are gratified by the level of interest shown in Crysis by console owners and fans, and are of course interested in next generation consoles for potential future developments, it is the company's policy not to discuss future plans before the fact.

We hope that clarifies the issue and thanks to all for your interest.

Thank you,

Cevat Yerli

CEO, Crytek GmbH"

nekrosoft13
01-17-07, 05:02 PM
Here's the official statement from Crytek CEO.

Cevat Yerli statement on recent Console rumors
http://incrysis.com/crysis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=250&Itemid=2

was about to post that

evilchris
01-17-07, 05:18 PM
Farcry was a boring tech demo imo

Euphoria
01-17-07, 08:36 PM
Farcry was a boring tech demo imo

Yeah I'll second that. It was just a tech demo to show off the HDR in action.

Arioch
01-17-07, 09:06 PM
I personally enjoyed playing Farcry. By the way, HDR wasn't originally in the game - that was added quite some time after release in a patch.

nutcrackr
01-17-07, 09:11 PM
HDR wasn't even added until patch 1.3 :rolleyes:

Far Cry had great gameplay. Just because it had good graphics at release people call it a tech demo. :bash:

nemecb
01-17-07, 09:32 PM
Far Cry had great gameplay. Just because it had good graphics at release people call it a tech demo. :bash:
QFT. I didn't like Far Cry because of the graphics, I liked it because it was fun to sneak through the bushes and headshot an unsuspecting merc.

evilchris
01-17-07, 10:28 PM
HDR wasn't even added until patch 1.3 :rolleyes:

I call it a techdemo after playing it from beginning to end. I did not like the gameplay. :bash: