PDA

View Full Version : Woman Dies Participating In Wii Contest

nekrosoft13
01-14-07, 01:55 PM
A 28 year old Rancho Cordova woman has died from her participation in a radio contest to win a Wii. Some clever monkey at station KDND 107.9 out of Sacramento, thought it would be hilarious to hold a "Hold your Wee for a Wii" contest (get it?). Contestants were given water to drink and whoever could drink the most without peeing, would get the Wii. According to one contestant, the lady in question, Jennifer Strange, drank at least five 8oz bottles of water in the first hour and even more afterwards, but no one knows for sure how much exactly she consumed. The coroner said that early investigation showed signs that her death might have been caused by water intoxication. It should be noted though, that this is NOT the official word as of yet, just the preliminary findings.

Well, the radio station shouldn't have done this contest without warnings in place. The details are unclear - did they want people to drink lots of water AND hold their urine? If so, if they didnt specify how much water to drink, thats dangerous. If they didn't warn you not to participate if you have certain diseases (CRF, CHF, etc) thats dangerous. Even if they didn't encourage drinking water and just wanted you to hold your urine - that could case hydronephrosis and damaged kidneys. There is a limit to how long one should retain urine. 6 hours is the max you should ever allow a person to retain urine...

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=23044

msxyz
01-14-07, 02:05 PM
A good candidate for the Darwin Award :lol:

Mr. Hunt
01-14-07, 02:12 PM
I could have won the contest.

I own at being stupid and holding my bodily wastes longer than I should.

Buenamos
01-14-07, 02:30 PM
I could have won the contest.

I own at being stupid and holding my bodily wastes longer than I should.

hahahaha

ViN86
01-14-07, 02:51 PM
A good candidate for the Darwin Award :lol:
:werd:

when you get that close, wouldnt you just pee? i mean, im pretty sure you cant make yourself die that way. just like you cant hold your breath and kill yourself.

however, excessive water consumption can kill you.

Camp0rz
01-14-07, 04:46 PM
The wii is like this generation's lawn darts.

Taking out stupid people left and right.

Arioch
01-14-07, 05:22 PM
Yeah this is ****ing hilarious - I am sure her kids are getting a good laugh out of this.

Zelda_fan
01-14-07, 07:15 PM
I call BS

betterdan
01-14-07, 07:26 PM
I call BS
Nope, it's true http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,243617,00.html

npras42
01-14-07, 08:18 PM
I call BS

I don't know about water intoxication (I've never heard the details of it, but I can't say if its untrue) but holding in your urine (witholding micturition) for long periods of time can cause hydronephrosis - a type and method of kidney damage. This can leave you on dialysis for the rest of your life, if not kill you.

Its not quite the same as holding your breath because although it would be very painful to hold it in for such a long time, you could do it, and then once you finally give in and go to the toilet, the damage to your kidneys may already be extensive, perhaps fatal. It won't kill you straight away, it may take hours or days. OTOH not many would be able to hold it in, and many would just wee their pants before significant damage was done. But some people can - perhaps this lady.

knghtwhosaysni
01-14-07, 08:38 PM
I think too much water can dilute your blood too much, so that may be it. I might listen to the station to see if they talk about it, but I hate their kind of music...

Stoneyguy
01-14-07, 08:59 PM
I remember a local bar hosting something similar to this. They would have a discount on beer until the first person went to the bathroom. Even with a bunch of drunk cheap bastards, I never heard of anybody dying from this.

I imagine this lady must of had some sort of complication to begin with that this may have just compounded. Shame to see somebody die trying to provide for their kid... even if it wasn't a necessity. :( Don't fight Mother Nature.

betterdan
01-14-07, 09:31 PM
Yep at a little country dive bar here we had a party till you pee night. Beers were 1 dollar all night until you got up to pee then they went back to regular price. Some guys I went out drinking with from the USS Shenandoah had a great idea, they all wore Depends and just sat there getting drunk and pissing their pants. I had to crack up when they were talking to women who had no idea that the guys had pissed themselves.
I wonder what would have happened if they took one of those women home and stripped down to do the dirty deed and she saw what he was wearing? :lol:

ViN86
01-15-07, 10:57 AM
lol so they did keep feeding her bottles of water.

say it with me now, "lawwwwsuuuuuuit"

Redeemed
01-15-07, 10:38 PM
That's only because your arse is plugged by Micheal Flatley's wang. :rofl

:lol2:

AthlonXP1800
01-15-07, 11:02 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6263029.stm

BBC explaining why too much water is dangerous.

Water intake for women need 1.5 litres daily, for men, it need 3 litres but men serve in Army forces need as much as 7 or 8 litres daily when working all days in wars.

nicorulez
01-16-07, 01:59 PM
I call BS

As usual, you are an idiot. I am a medical professional. For the uninformed, water intoxication lead to a condition called hyponatremia. That means that serum sodium drops to precipitously low levels. It is often seen in patients with cancer 2nd to a condition called SIADH (very complicated) or in psychiatric patients with a disorder called psychogenic polydipsia. Guess what, the poor lady in this show literally drank liters of water till she diluted her system (similar to the psychogenic polydipsia). The kidneys have only so much reserve to get rid of free water. When the serum Na drops below 125 mmol/L, you can have neurological symptoms. When it drops to less than 115, you can go into a coma and die. I guess she ended up dying. The autopsy will be revealing. Usually, psychiatric patients can drink themselves to a lower sodium than usual as their bodies adapt and compensate before they have symptoms. I assume she had no psychiatric issues and drank a normal amount daily. When she started chugging the liters upon liters of fluids, the dramatic drop in her serum sodium led to cerebral edema and subsequent death. Big time lawsuit.

TiKiMaN1
01-17-07, 03:19 PM
Fetch this is such a sad story.:( She had 3 kids too.

Anyway 10 employees at the radio station were fired because of this.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164262.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

Athena
01-17-07, 03:59 PM
Being a person that was treated for drinking to much water to fast I can say this is real. Its just that she did not seem to drink that much water compared to what I did. But maybe she is smaller than me. :(

nemecb
01-17-07, 04:13 PM
The thing that scares me about this is that although I did know that too much water was harmful, I didn't realize you could actually drink yourself to that point. Heck, I knew people in college who had these contests in the cafeteria and I never saw anything wrong with them at the time (although I did think it was stupid, but not because it was dangerous). Note to self: Point those people to this story next time you see them.

S.I.N
01-17-07, 06:48 PM
Wow dont see how these kids can ever see or play a Wii without thinking of there mother. I've always known water can harm you and many times I have drank it fast and my throat tightened up or I felt I was about to fall over.