PDA

View Full Version : MSI 655 Max and GeForce FX Ultra problem

RyanH85
03-08-03, 01:02 PM
Yesterday I received my MSI 655 Max-FISR motherboard and BFG Technologies GeForce FX 5800 Ultra. The video card has no problem displaying 2D graphics in Windows XP Professional SP1 when it doesnít have a driver installed. Whenever I try to install any NVIDIA drivers, the computer crashes. It goes through the process as usual, it displays the window saying that it is copying the drivers, and once it completes, the screen goes black with a blinking underscore at the top left corner. The computer is useless unless I restart. And once I get back into Windows, I see that the drivers didnít install at all. I was able to install them in safe mode but when I tried to reboot into normal mode the computer froze on the Windows loading screen. Iím using the latest BIOS and AGP driver. Iíve checked all the BIOS settings; everything seems fine. Iím not OCing anything, yet. My setup is: Intel P4 3.06 GHz, MSI 655 Max-FISR Version 1 (doesnít support HT), 2 GB of PC3700 RAM, Creative Audigy 2 Platinum eX, Highpoint RocketRAID 1540 (RAID 0), 4 WD1200JB HDDs, BFG Technologies GeForce FX 5800 Ultra, Enermax EG651P-VE FMA PSU, Lian-Li PC-71 USB Case, and more stuff that wouldnít affect the video card. If I can't get my video card to work with this motherboard, I might just return it and buy a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Iíve tried everything I can think of, any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Smokey
03-08-03, 11:57 PM
When you installed your new motherboard, did you do a clean install of windows? When changing something like the motheboard, its advised to do a clean install of the OS, to avoid running into problems. Other than that, I cant really think of anything else off the top of my head, as the motherboard is new also.

RyanH85
03-09-03, 09:10 AM
I did a clean install of Windows, three times. I tried the GeForce FX in my other computers and it works fine. So, it's not the card. I tried two other NVIDIA video cards in my MSI motherboard and every time I get the same result. I'm almost sure it's a bad motherboard. This is strange because everything else works fine with the motherboard. I've read reviews of this motherboard and no one else has had the problems that I am having. I will call up MSI on Monday. I hope I can exchange the motherboard for a new version 3 one.

Smokey
03-09-03, 11:57 AM
You could also try the forums over at AMDMD (www.amdmb.com) they have a section for every brand of matherboard, try the MSI section, someone there might be able to help, good luck.

RyanH85
03-09-03, 08:24 PM
Thanks.

StealthHawk
03-09-03, 11:07 PM
please do not double post.

further comments should be made in this thread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8428