PDA

View Full Version : EVGA 680i P24 BIOS

Lazaredz
01-14-07, 05:04 PM
As Jakup mentioned in another thread, you can find the links here (http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24880).

I figured we could start a feedback thread for it.

P24 BIOS is available now, here are the changes:

Vista WHQL Certified
USB Floppy improvements for RAID installs
Correct CPU temp and voltage system monitor displays in BIOS
Correct default CPU multiplier setting
Fix "Code 50" hang received under certain VGA configurations

From my brief read, it sounds kind of "iffy" but then again those complaining seem to be of the type that have done something wrong themselves and want to blame EVGA for it. Just my read.

Anyway, discuss ...

jAkUp
01-14-07, 05:14 PM
Working good for me :)

Lazaredz
01-14-07, 05:22 PM
How is Quad Core FSB overclocking? :)

Read the other thread but there was some complaining about not supporting something reguading quad cores ....

Stoneyguy
01-14-07, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the update. Installed them but haven't noticed any difference. It detected new hardware... that was odd.

Muppet
01-15-07, 01:10 AM
Just flashed now :) . I'll run a few tests and see how it works out.

HeavyH20
01-15-07, 01:16 AM
From what I can tell, this is just for Vista items. No new performance items or fixes.

Muppet
01-15-07, 01:23 AM
From what I can tell, this is just for Vista items. No new performance items or fixes.
That's ok for me, i have Vista on a second drive. I don't understand what difference there is for Vista because the P21 bios worked fine.

GitDat
01-15-07, 07:52 AM
My Corsair PC2 8500 RAM ran fine at 1111MHz for a week and a half but then would not run faster than 933MHz after that until I moved from the blue to brown RAM slots. Then it ran at 1111MHz for about a day and the lockups started again. I can't even get it to run at factory specs of 1066MHz, only 930MHz now :( I started off using P23 BIOS and upgrading to P24 didn't help.

In some cases are these EVGA 680i boards physcially damaging memory sticks? I'm RMA'ing the mobo but it makes me wonder if it also damaged my memory as well though.

GitDat
01-15-07, 08:09 AM
Working good for me :)

Hey jAkUp, why isn't G.Skill memory listed on the compatible memory list thread on the EVGA website if that's what you're running?

Muppet
01-16-07, 01:44 AM
So far so good :D

mcolbourn
01-16-07, 04:01 AM
Just updated my board and all seems to be fine.

Absolution
01-16-07, 04:51 AM
updated, seems to not make any difference

still getting bsod's hourly (memtest passes for hours on end + a clean windows install)

Absolution
01-17-07, 02:31 PM
Did you install the nVidia IDE drivers?
no, i tried that a while ago on my msi neo2 platinum (agp 939) and all it did was blue screen the heck out of it. been a while since ive installed those drivers.

though... apparently someone with more technical knowledge of the board than the regular tech support people from evga is going to call me today... we'll see if they can help before i dump the board and move to an intel chipset.:(

Absolution
01-17-07, 06:50 PM
Okay, this is very strange...
my memory runs memtest straight for 12 hours no problem with the timings in spec (800mhz @ 2.2v 4-4-3-8 with 2T) yet is unstable in windows (won't even complete an windows instilation).

Yet... drop it down to 533mhz at same timings (actually 1T though and 1.9v) and I've been stable for an hour...

Memory problem? Or Memory controller problem....?

Lazaredz
01-17-07, 11:12 PM
Okay, this is very strange...
my memory runs memtest straight for 12 hours no problem with the timings in spec (800mhz @ 2.2v 4-4-3-8 with 2T) yet is unstable in windows (won't even complete an windows instilation).

Yet... drop it down to 533mhz at same timings (actually 1T though and 1.9v) and I've been stable for an hour...

Memory problem? Or Memory controller problem....?

Definately a memory controller problem. You are not the only one. Check the EVGA boards.

I myself am finding that I have this issue too. I cannot run my memory at 1066 without reboots/lockups. In fact, half the time it won't even post at default settings and resets to 800.

I'm currently doing some testing to see if 800 if going to be stable for me. I've also pretty much determined that my 3.6 overclock is NOT rock stable. I THINK that the SPP max of 1.55 is not quite enough, so I have backed down to 3.4.

Hopefully when I get home Orthos is still running I can go from there. Also hopefully further refinement of the BIOS will allow for propery running memory speeds.

Or should I just RMA the board???

HeavyH20
01-18-07, 01:28 AM
I found that if you up the FSB on the board for an OC as well as up the memory speed, it results in instabilities. So, I can run 1240 FSB with the RAM at 800, or be limited to 1180 FSB with the RAM at 1000. I found this to be true of the E6600, as well (except it is more like 425 or so, then the RAM has to backed down). Soon as I approach the FSB limit, the RAM needs to be backed down. So, high RAM speed or high FSB, but not both.

Lazaredz
01-18-07, 03:43 AM
I found that if you up the FSB on the board for an OC as well as up the memory speed, it results in instabilities. So, I can run 1240 FSB with the RAM at 800, or be limited to 1180 FSB with the RAM at 1000. I found this to be true of the E6600, as well (except it is more like 425 or so, then the RAM has to backed down). Soon as I approach the FSB limit, the RAM needs to be backed down. So, high RAM speed or high FSB, but not both.

are others finding this to be true also?

TonyM16
01-18-07, 03:54 AM
are others finding this to be true also?

No, 1160mhz memory 4-4-4-12 here with 3.4-3.6ghz E6600. I have said this before twice now, that to do it you must use sli ready memory (and so you will need performance raM) (expert settings of course) or it will not work!!!

GitDat
01-18-07, 06:34 AM
My SLI ready Corsair 8500 worked fine at 1111MHz for 2 weeks and then suddenly the system wasn't stable anymore unless I set the memory down to 800MHz :( I'm awaiting my RMA 680i motherboard. We'll see if it fixes my issues.

Lazaredz
01-18-07, 07:20 AM
No, 1160mhz memory 4-4-4-12 here with 3.4-3.6ghz E6600. I have said this before twice now, that to do it you must use sli ready memory (and so you will need performance raM) (expert settings of course) or it will not work!!!

I heard you and tried that too, same problems.

Anyway, I think maybe I'll make a 680i/>800Mhz memory thread as this is getting OT.

I have no problems with P24 itself, however over in EVGA some people are reverting to P23 as P24 seems to have caused some stability issues. (I was having mine with P23 anyway)

Absolution
01-18-07, 11:29 AM
Thats rediculous, why should I have to use sli ready memory to be stable @stock speeds though...

TonyM16
01-18-07, 11:36 AM
Thats rediculous, why should I have to use sli ready memory to be stable @stock speeds though...

Uh no thats what sli ready memory is for. It's for rated settings of your particular ram kit. If you want to overclock you have to set it expert setting and do it manually. Have you not heard of EPP? EPP is a fool proof way to set your performance ram at it's rated timings and speed if it is above the 680i/ intel standard which is still 800mhz unless you buy a P965. I don't know what you mean by stock , as stock would mean 800mhz 5-5-5-18 ie what the mobo sets by default and nobody said you need sli ready for that, I said if you want to overclock you ram or set it to it's high rated speed, sli ready helps alot. what is so hard about selecting a bios setting anyway, that you would find it ridiculous?

Absolution
01-18-07, 01:55 PM
Uh no thats what sli ready memory is for. It's for rated settings of your particular ram kit. If you want to overclock you have to set it expert setting and do it manually. Have you not heard of EPP? EPP is a fool proof way to set your performance ram at it's rated timings and speed if it is above the 680i/ intel standard which is still 800mhz unless you buy a P965. I don't know what you mean by stock , as stock would mean 800mhz 5-5-5-18 ie what the mobo sets by default and nobody said you need sli ready for that, I said if you want to overclock you ram or set it to it's high rated speed, sli ready helps alot. what is so hard about selecting a bios setting anyway, that you would find it ridiculous?
i was refering to you saying that you needed sli ready memory 'to make it work'

as far as not overclocking, if you buy ddr rated at 1066mhz, it better be able to run at 1066mhz, if you buy 800mhz ddr, it should most definitally work at 800mhz (which is what I have). why would you buy it if it didn't work at its rated speed?
there is nothing hard about setting bios settings. in fact, i wasn't even talking about overclocking because before you overclock, you must be able to be stable at stock settings ... right?... right now, i've got to run my memory at 711mhz with a 2:3 divider to boot into windows even while memtest86 has no problems at even above 800mhz.

TonyM16
01-18-07, 07:39 PM
i was refering to you saying that you needed sli ready memory 'to make it work'

as far as not overclocking, if you buy ddr rated at 1066mhz, it better be able to run at 1066mhz, if you buy 800mhz ddr, it should most definitally work at 800mhz (which is what I have). why would you buy it if it didn't work at its rated speed?
there is nothing hard about setting bios settings. in fact, i wasn't even talking about overclocking because before you overclock, you must be able to be stable at stock settings ... right?... right now, i've got to run my memory at 711mhz with a 2:3 divider to boot into windows even while memtest86 has no problems at even above 800mhz.

711mhz? Thats just plain weird. I don't want to tell you to go out and buy new hardware, but maybe Corsair ram is just a better fit for the 680i? I have never seen anyone with experience complaining about their ram on the 680i who had dominators. It's always ocz, g-skill or something. All i am saying is that if it was me and I was having all these problems I would want to know why the next guy was not getting any problems, I would then hound that dude until he gave up all his secret settings:p . I just wanted people to try my settings, so that they can get stable like me.:D