PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX Performance Issues

Xion X2
01-14-07, 06:16 PM
Guys, I've been doing a lot of tweaking with my setup for the past two days and discovered something I think everyone should know about if they don't already.

This may or may not work on single-card configs; I have a buddy w/ an 8800GTX that I've informed about this and he might be testing it out soon to let me know if it does.

If you're getting bad performance on your 8800GTX(s) with certain games, then you may want to try uninstalling and then reinstalling the driver--especially if you've recently installed the game for the first time. I'm running the 97.92's, so I can't speak for the others, but I had 2 games that I was just getting horrible performance in (Prey, Fear Extraction Point) and another with just ok performance(Oblivion). Prey was dropping down to 20fps and so was Fear. After a uninstall/reinstall of the 97.92's, all these games are running perfect now. All stay pinned at my refresh rate on maximum settings.

On my 8800GTX SLI setup, Oblivion running with 16xAA, 16xAF, high quality textures and all in-game sliders maxed, was slowing down to 40-45fps in thick grassy areas. After an uninstall-->reinstall of the 97.92's it now stays pinned at 60fps in those exact same areas at the same settings.

Strange, but it's now helped 3 games in a row that I've tried it out on.

Something else that is nice to see is that vsync/triple-buffering appears to be working on most of the games I've tried so far without having to run DXTweaker. Nice job, nvidia! :)

jAkUp
01-14-07, 06:17 PM
Yea oddly enough, I often have to completely wipe, then reinstall the drivers to keep performance good.

Every once and a while my performance will be terrible, looking at the SLI load bars, they are not completely full, removing the drivers, running drivercleaner, then reinstalling always fixes it.

XION, are both your 8800GTX's sharing the same IRQ? I noticed that mine were sharing IRQ 16.

Xion X2
01-14-07, 06:20 PM
Yeah, actually I should give credit to you jakup because you were the first one that got me thinking about this. I'd been messing w/ all the SLI rendering modes and everything else trying to figure out just what the heck is going on. You'd think I would have thought of reinstalling the driver, but I've never had to do that to fix a performance bug before owning these cards.

I've given the IRQ thing some thought but haven't checked it to make sure. To be honest I've never seen this make much of a difference, have you?

icecold1983
01-14-07, 07:56 PM
doesnt do anything for me, fear and trackmania are still the worst performers.

Bokishi
01-14-07, 08:24 PM
Xion, is this triple-buffering SLi only?

Xion X2
01-14-07, 08:51 PM
Xion, is this triple-buffering SLi only?

I'm not sure. My buddy w/ the single GTX says it doesn't work the same for him (except in Oblivion. He has to use DXTweaker for everything else) so maybe so. All I know is that I've always had to use DXTweaker to get this effect in games until now.

Bokishi
01-14-07, 09:25 PM
LOL it might still be double buffering, but all that dual 8800 power locks everything at 60 fps no matter what. I don't fear SLi now if that's the case.

Xion X2
01-14-07, 09:30 PM
No, my GTX's are definitely TB + vsync'ng w/o a 3rd party utility. I know this because before I reinstalled my drivers I was having performance problems and my framerate in some games was hanging around 45-50. Double-buffeirng doesn't do that. It either runs at your refresh rate or splits it in half. My refresh rate is 60 on this monitor. (See attached pic of Oblivion hanging at 50fps)

DXTweaker's working for me in Rainbow Six Vegas to enable TB + vsync, but it might be because it's not utilizing the 2nd card. It acts like it's just using one card and not running in SLI. It's the only game so far I've tried that doesn't TB + vsync by default. Tomb Raider Legend, Oblivion, and Fear XP all do.

Bokishi
01-14-07, 09:43 PM
If that's the case, then I would think that it's strange how SLi first doesn't support DX triple-buffering at all, and now it's a native and exclusive feature to it.

I tested some games however, and I know for sure that R6Vegas needs DXtweaker when using my single 8800, but Oblivion does not. I'll test more games.

Xion X2
01-14-07, 11:29 PM
It is strange, but maybe these new drivers are different, or maybe the architecture of these new cards works differently.

But it's definitely working for at least Oblivion, TRL, and Fear XP.