PDA

View Full Version : Gabe Newell says PS3 a total disaster ?

Pages : [1] 2

kaltek
01-14-07, 07:48 PM
Can anyone confirm this ? Scans of the mag ?

http://www.thatgameblog.com/2007/01/15/gabe-newell-thinks-ps3-a-total-disaster/

Zelda_fan
01-14-07, 07:49 PM
Zelda_fan said it b4 tEh BiGmAn gabe!!! lolZOZOZLOLZ!

Q
01-14-07, 07:54 PM
Zelda_fan said it b4 tEh BiGmAn gabe!!! lolZOZOZLOLZ!

Pr0pH37 4tW!

toxikneedle
01-14-07, 07:56 PM
Yeah I saw some people talking about this. It's weird considering Gabe is praising the Wii and talking so much crap about the PS3, when HL2 is being developed for the PS3, yet Valve has nothing planned for the Wii.

|MaguS|
01-14-07, 07:57 PM
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8742/gabenewellxg9.png

BTW I see no source... just a poster quoting him from an interview thats no where to be found... and no its not in the latest issue since I get them. It's also funny if this were true considering that Valve will be releasing multiple titles for the PS3.... so either its fake or Gabe is an idiot when it comes to business and wants to waste money on a console thats a "disaster".

kaltek
01-14-07, 08:04 PM
Does the last one you got have a blue dragon cover ?

Lyme
01-14-07, 08:15 PM
Can anyone confirm this ? Scans of the mag ?

http://www.thatgameblog.com/2007/01/15/gabe-newell-thinks-ps3-a-total-disaster/

Watch the interview http://valve.1up.com/flat/Themeweek/Valve/video6.html

The horrible thing about it is that he isn't the only major developer saying Sony lost focus, John C has done the same.

Bad_Boy
01-14-07, 08:21 PM
Watch the interview http://valve.1up.com/flat/Themeweek/Valve/video6.html

The horrible thing about it is that he isn't the only major developer saying Sony lost focus, John C has done the same.
That doesnt confirm this article or answer kaltek's question. That was taped back in 2005 IIRC, before the PS3/360/Wii even launched. Gabe has always been scared of multicore processors. So it wouldnt be any surprise if hes still preaching it.

Don't get me wrong, this isnt hate on Gabe. Hes done great things for PC gaming I'd say; even if HL2 was a little overrated imo. But none the less the guy can deliver some good games. That said, he hasnt done crap for the console scene besides quick port overs. PC rooted developers will probably hate the 360/PS3 processors but obviously they will choose the lesser of two evils. While other developers who have been in console gaming for a while adjust accordingly to the change in console hardware with minor complaining. Ubisoft, EA, Sony, Microsoft, Kojima, bungie, and many other big 3rd party console developers have all praised the new changing architecture.

betterdan
01-14-07, 08:22 PM
Damn he's huge.

:rofl @ the pic Magus posted.

kaltek
01-14-07, 08:25 PM
That doesnt confirm this article or answer kaltek's question.

Yeah but it did show me that the man is quite capable of making such comments. Hadn't seen that interview before, the man speaks his mind.

superklye
01-14-07, 08:26 PM
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8742/gabenewellxg9.png

:rofl

Lyme
01-14-07, 08:51 PM
Yeah but it did show me that the man is quite capable of making such comments. Hadn't seen that interview before, the man speaks his mind.

True, Gabe never said in that interview that the PS3 is a total disaster. He does however go at length to why the PS3 is a difficult platform to develop for.

While Gabe is a really large guy, he is also very bright. He used to work for Microsoft and funded the original half life completely with his own money. He as built valve up to be the company that it is. But it is true, he has not developed really anything significant for any console, it is basically all PC based.

betterdan
01-14-07, 08:55 PM
But it is true, he has not developed really anything significant for any console, it is basically all PC based.
He did develop quite a large gut though didn't he? ;)

Rakeesh
01-14-07, 09:05 PM
Gabe Newell is a big fat asshat though, and I could really give a damn what he says. IMO valve should stop him from making press statements because he is just an idiot that lies about everything.

Hex
01-14-07, 09:13 PM
Oh nos!!
Will enjoy playing HL2 on PS3 though :D

Marvel_us
01-14-07, 09:18 PM
Oh nos!!
Will enjoy playing HL2 on PS3 though :D

Lol! He could be a family guy character.

Mr. Hunt
01-14-07, 10:07 PM
Wasn't HL2 being leaked on the net a disaster also? ;)

Lyme
01-14-07, 10:41 PM
Gabe Newell is a big fat asshat though, and I could really give a damn what he says. IMO valve should stop him from making press statements because he is just an idiot that lies about everything.

Ya but he is the ceo of a large game development company and not only has enough money to expand his large gut, has more money than you likely will ever have. So maybe we should just stop you for saying anything.

Rakeesh
01-15-07, 01:15 AM
Ya but he is the ceo of a large game development company and not only has enough money to expand his large gut, has more money than you likely will ever have. So maybe we should just stop you for saying anything.

Eh...what?

Or I guess more appropriately: What kind of drugs are you on?

*sigh* console fanboys are all alike.

toxikneedle
01-15-07, 02:30 AM
Eh...what?

Or I guess more appropriately: What kind of drugs are you on?

*sigh* console fanboys are all alike.
Dude don't talk crap on Newell, he's a very nice guy to the community. He's the major reason why so many mod community people are now working for Valve. Before HL2 came out, I was very active in the whole HL2 community and he answered a lot of the fan e-mails, plus he gives fans tours of Valve studios. A lot of his ideas are the reasons why Half-Life is a success. I don't see why his opinions are offending you that much.

BioHazZarD
01-15-07, 03:08 AM
As far as i can remember he has attacked the PS3 in the past too saying poor development tools so im not surpised he still says it.

Am_I_Evil
01-15-07, 05:50 AM
IMO valve should stop him from making press statements because he is just an idiot that lies about everything.

soooo.....you're saying that he should get a job working for Sony then?

H3avyM3tal
01-15-07, 07:49 AM
He's just afraid he cant program for the ps3 :lol:

j/k

Moo
01-15-07, 08:28 AM
soooo.....you're saying that he should get a job working for Sony then?

touche!

thor1182
01-15-07, 08:35 AM
while HL2 the game might have been over hyped, the engine itself was pretty damn cool. They got a good physics engine in there, as well as some spiffy lighting affects.

I'm a bit confused with all the hate towards some of the biggest figures in the gaming industry such as Carmack and Newell. I may not agree/understand everything they say, but these guys are the ones in the trenches making the games we like. I think a bit more respect should be shown.

That was a funny pic of him though