PDA

View Full Version : *rumor* ms employee leaks possible 360 update info

Pages : [1] 2

Imbroglio
01-15-07, 11:07 AM
http://www.xboxic.com/news/2229

saying late 2007, if i were to guess, the updated console would coincide with Halo 3 release. Maybe that's just me, but it seems to make business sense to do it as such.

ViN86
01-15-07, 11:12 AM
if only the new 360 supports IPTV, like the article says, im going to be PISSED :mad:

theres no reason they cant make an update and add a software renderer or something, i mean the thing has 3 CORES!
unless the signal is encrypted.... :confused:

thor1182
01-15-07, 11:14 AM
I agree with the need to have the old one support IPTV. We will ahve to wait and see.

Marvel_us
01-15-07, 11:14 AM
So wait you would need the new Xbox360 to be able to get IPTV, lol.

Looks like I hold off on the purchase until there's more concrete info on that.

Imbroglio
01-15-07, 11:32 AM
i know, but i'm thinking that microsoft will have to offer some type of step-up program for the ppl that want iptv. like premium trade-in + $100 or core trade-in +$200, something along those lines, otherwise they would basically be neglecting those ppl that already have 360s. that's what i'm envisioning, something where original owners that want iptv will atleast have the option to upgrade their hdd/console/iptv for a price + trade-in.

i guess only time will tell though :/

|MaguS|
01-15-07, 12:14 PM
i know, but i'm thinking that microsoft will have to offer some type of step-up program for the ppl that want iptv. like premium trade-in + $100 or core trade-in +$200, something along those lines, otherwise they would basically be neglecting those ppl that already have 360s. that's what i'm envisioning, something where original owners that want iptv will atleast have the option to upgrade their hdd/console/iptv for a price + trade-in.

i guess only time will tell though :/

Yeah and maybe one day Nintendo will do the same with the Handhelds .... keep dreaming...

Imbroglio
01-15-07, 12:35 PM
Yeah and maybe one day Nintendo will do the same with the Handhelds .... keep dreaming...

apples and oranges. you pay the same amount for your xlb membership as one with this "updated" console does. yet, your xbl is restricted because you have a past revision? that's not even close to being GB/GBA/DS in which the handhelds are different. you pay for the features you want, you don't pay the same price for all to have certain features unavailable to you. no <3 for fanboys.

is this just me or did this just seem like common sense and you just felt necessary to flame something that "might" be wrong with a 360?

LurkerLito
01-15-07, 12:36 PM
It is quite possible that the reason IPTV requires a new 360 is because of HDCP. Maybe the content providers wouldn't give MS licenses without it.

Marvel_us
01-15-07, 12:39 PM
apples and oranges. you pay the same amount for your xlb membership as one with this "updated" console does. yet, your xbl is restricted because you have a past revision? that's not even close to being GB/GBA/DS in which the handhelds are different. you pay for the features you want, you don't pay the same price for all to have certain features unavailable to you. no <3 for fanboys.

is this just me or did this just seem like common sense and you just felt necessary to flame something that "might" be wrong with a 360?

Put it this way. If this was the same situation with the PS3 this thread would be 3 pages full of Sony hatred by now.

Imbroglio
01-15-07, 12:39 PM
Put it this way. If this was the same situation with the PS3 this thread would be 3 pages full of Sony hatred by now.

qft

Marvel_us
01-15-07, 12:44 PM
I hate rumors like this. It makes people who own the product kind of depressed that they might get jipped and people who were thinking of buying the product have second thoughts because there might be a better version coming out soon.

thor1182
01-15-07, 12:45 PM
that is probably very true. Parts of this forum do seem to be a bit one sided.. but it did start as a nVida fan site, so there was some bias built in there.

Its hard to tell if the needing a new version is true or not, and the reasons why. The HDCP reason seems to me a very good one to me. If that is the case, not having the HDMI @ launch has really hurt the current version of the 360's longevity in some addition uses areas (HD-DVD add on and not this IPTV piece)

thor1182
01-15-07, 12:46 PM
if there is no quick upgrade path, I think I would just find someone to sell mine off to and upgrade. I went through two xboxes, It wouldn't surprise me to go through more than one 360.

Knot3D
01-15-07, 12:46 PM
A possible 'late 2007' release ?

That's pretty late indeed. PAL PS3's launching in March you know...

UDawg
01-15-07, 12:55 PM
360 isn't fixing stuff. They are introducing more stuff. It is a update meant to generate more sales. Don't like it don't buy it but it is certainly nothing like the failed PS3.

thor1182
01-15-07, 12:57 PM
if this new version is the "multimedia" version and cost more than the current top version, I don't think people should be too upset. They bought their original version for gaming, and guess what, that it can still do no problem.

Marvel_us
01-15-07, 01:58 PM
360 isn't fixing stuff. They are introducing more stuff. It is a update meant to generate more sales. Don't like it don't buy it but it is certainly nothing like the failed PS3.

So what is it on the PS3 that needs fixing? The only major problem with it right now is the lack of games. Most of the other things don't require hardware revisions and can be fixed through software updates.

The only reason I see for Sony to push out another console model is if they need a hardware fix for their scaler situation.

I'm sure there are a lot of current 360 users on this board that are interested in IPTV and if that requires them to purchase another 360 I don't think they'll be very happy.

thor1182
01-15-07, 02:02 PM
So what is it on the PS3 that needs fixing? The only major problem with it right now is the lack of games. Most of the other things don't require hardware revisions and can be fixed through software updates.

The only reason I see for Sony to push out another console model is if they need a hardware fix for their scaler situation.

I'm sure there are a lot of current 360 users on this board that are interested in IPTV and if that requires them to purchase another 360 I don't think they'll be very happy.

agrees with above, and that is coming from someone on the MS camp. of course I could be evil and say the cell was a bad decision to put in a game console, but thats a different thread...

Marvel_us
01-15-07, 02:05 PM
agrees with above, and that is coming from someone on the MS camp. of course I could be evil and say the cell was a bad decision to put in a game console, but thats a different thread...

We already have a couple of those.:p

toxikneedle
01-15-07, 02:29 PM
Isn't IPTV coming out within a few months? why would the new console be out in a year then?

Lyme
01-15-07, 03:11 PM
I'd put my money on this being mostly fake.
Mostly because I can see the new 360's coming with bigger hard drives, and I can also see IPTV which is to be released this fall co-inciding with IPTV providers only offering the new boxes (instead of a set top box). I highly doubt that the 360 v1 will not be able to run the IPTV software.

Please remember that simply because the 360 gets IPTV support doesn't mean you get IPTV, you still need a provider to sell you the service.

UDawg
01-15-07, 03:15 PM

This isn't targeted towards current owners. It is targeted to those who don't have one yet. This sets MS up in a great position over Sony.

ENU291
01-15-07, 03:24 PM
AFAIK right off the bat you need AT&T's Fiber Optic network to use IPTV so that fact right there will limit most of us from using this new service. If a new 360 is indeed needed on top of the AT&T network then IPTV on the 360 will be an extremely limited feature.

Marvel_us
01-15-07, 09:26 PM
Not sure if most of you have seen this but here's a vid/interview of IPTV on 360.

Notice the HDD on the unit under the TV, dev unit?

http://www.on10.net/Blogs/tina/you-heard-it-people-carbon-is-real/

Lyme
01-15-07, 10:03 PM
AFAIK right off the bat you need AT&T's Fiber Optic network to use IPTV so that fact right there will limit most of us from using this new service. If a new 360 is indeed needed on top of the AT&T network then IPTV on the 360 will be an extremely limited feature.

There were a couple of networks that announced they would use the 360 for IPTV in addition to AT&T.