PDA

View Full Version : PSu

TonyM16
01-15-07, 12:23 PM
My PSU is not functioning correctley so I am getting a new one. Should I just get the same one again ie Tagan 1100watt even though I have had some issues with it or shall I go with an Enermax Galaxy 1000watt. It looks real good and may be what i need, but it isn't one the Nvidia certification program, why? The Tagan had alot of problems with it's leads as their faces are to fat and there is not enough clearance on the ports of my rig, so it was a tight squeeze. the galaxy has normal faces and so won't have that problem, but which ones i better in terms of PSu power and ampage or however else PSu' are compared.

Rytr
01-15-07, 12:51 PM
Tagan has a good track record of providing quality PSUs and going through the RMA process is probably the best bet. However, you mentioned some physical problem with the leads, this may make your option of going with an Enermax better if that would solve the problem.
I have two 600W Enermax PSU which have performed well for me the last couple of years after RMA of one that was DOA.

thedude3213
01-15-07, 02:34 PM
what exactly do you need 1000W PSU for ?

Uberpwnage
01-15-07, 02:49 PM
I would get the Silverstone OP1000, its the best PSU available right now IMO.

1 x 20+4-pin motherboard connector ( 550mm )
2 x 8-pin EPS12V connector
1 x 4-pin ATX12V connector ( 550mm )
2 x dual 6-pin PCI-E connector ( 550mm x 150mm )
2 x 8-pin PCI-E connector ( 550mm )
2 x triple SATA power connectors ( 510mm + 250mm x 250mm )
1 x dual 4-pin IDE connectors ( 510mm + 250mm )
2 x dual 4-pin IDE & single floppy power connectors ( 510mm + 250mm + 150mm

+3.3V@30A,+5V@40A,+12V@80A,-12V@0.8A,+5VSB@4.0A
Thats 1 +12v rail, nothing split.

Get it here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256010)

TonyM16
01-15-07, 03:00 PM
Strange, that should be a great PSU. RMA it and see if you just had bad luck...

You think? None of the sata molex's work. Since the pus uses the sata cables to supply additional four pin molex connectors via a adaptor it's a bit of a bummer. The thing is it doesn't instil much confidence in the rest of the psu to have some of the cables not giving our power, but I am able to game right now. The shop I bought from has offered a refund, but rma is no go for me as I don't want to be without a PC as the PSU is letting me use my PC at least. Cheers Slawter.

So I am buying a new one and as soon as I get it sending the tagan back. The shop knows this and actually were the ones who suggested it since they don't cross ship.

This is why I felt like getting a different one.

PS. To the guy who said why I need 1000watt , the answer is stability, reliability, overclockability, future proofing, peace of mind etc etc. besides it's actually recommended to have at least 800w for 8800gtx sli, sowhy not just spend an extra few bucks and get a few extra wattage which usually gives more amperage aswell.

I would get the Silverstone OP1000, its the best PSU available right now IMO.

1 x 20+4-pin motherboard connector ( 550mm )
2 x 8-pin EPS12V connector
1 x 4-pin ATX12V connector ( 550mm )
2 x dual 6-pin PCI-E connector ( 550mm x 150mm )
2 x 8-pin PCI-E connector ( 550mm )
2 x triple SATA power connectors ( 510mm + 250mm x 250mm )
1 x dual 4-pin IDE connectors ( 510mm + 250mm )
2 x dual 4-pin IDE & single floppy power connectors ( 510mm + 250mm + 150mm

+3.3V@30A,+5V@40A,+12V@80A,-12V@0.8A,+5VSB@4.0A
Thats 1 +12v rail, nothing split.

Get it here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256010)

We don't have that here in the UK unfortunately, although I admit that the 8oamp unsplit sounds interesting, didn't even know that was possible since all the psu's I have seen have those split ones.

Tagan has a good track record of providing quality PSUs and going through the RMA process is probably the best bet. However, you mentioned some physical problem with the leads, this may make your option of going with an Enermax better if that would solve the problem.
I have two 600W Enermax PSU which have performed well for me the last couple of years after RMA of one that was DOA.

Thanks Rytr.

Also thanks to everyone who posted , appreciate it. :)

Rytr
01-15-07, 03:12 PM
That is odd as the connectors should comply with a standard spec. :confused:
When you return it ask for a response as to why their connectors are not spec. I imagine a lot of people would like to know this before they purchase.

Rytr
01-15-07, 03:20 PM
Maybe you checked this out http://www.lanaddict.com/rev/189/3/ as I noticed Tagan provides some Molex adapters for the SATA connectors...a nice touch nonetheless. :)

TonyM16
01-15-07, 03:28 PM
Maybe you checked this out http://www.lanaddict.com/rev/189/3/ as I noticed Tagan provides some Molex adapters for the SATA connectors...a nice touch nonetheless. :)

Yeah it's those sata connectors that don't work. Luckily I was able to pwer everything that needed it using the native four pins of which there are only a couple. It could be that the adapters themselves are rubbish but I tried them all.

It's that problem coupled with me having to slice the 8pin cpu cable up(to make it fit) that is making me nervous about it. Other than that I have to admit it's running fine, but if I could have a psu that worked great and didn't have those small issues it would be fantastic.

I wonder which is better though the Tagan or Galaxy. That should help me decide, if there was a decisisve winner out of the two. I suppose since I am running I could even just not bother doing anything, but then if I ever needed to resell it I wouldn't get a good price.

john19055
01-16-07, 03:41 AM
If you are wanting to go with a 1000watt power supply I would also reccomend the SilverStone 1000watt with it's 80 amp single 12v rail,and 88amps max ,and a total Peak of 1100 watts max,I would like to buy this one ,but it is out of my reach,I have had good luck with the 560watt with 38amps on the 12v rail and 45amps peak.

TonyM16
01-16-07, 06:44 PM
:P

TonyM16
01-16-07, 07:58 PM
OK, I understand. Then go and get the Silverstone 1kW.

Btw, is this Silverstone identical to the PC P&C?

No it's made by Sevenstean. I just can't source an Olympia in the Uk. there was one shop but they are out of stock and have no idea when they are coming back.

I have no choice but to go for the Galaxy. I am a bit disappointed that I couldn't get a Silverstone OP1000 as I researched it and it sounds real cool. The only thing i was concerned about was the noise. It only has one small 80fan, and the thing is larger than the Galaxy!

At least I get a quiet psu , and one that will do the job for now. The OP1000 would have been great as it would lasted a long time as it has two 8 pin pci express connectors, and we have just found out today that is the new graphics standard. the next gen gpu's like the R600 and G90 will probably have them.

Oh well what are you gonna do? I will just have to live it.:p

TonyM16
01-17-07, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the info. It's a really nice PSU. How loud is it?

Silverstone says it's really quiet because it has a built in thermostat. I think up to about 500watt it's quiet , or so they say. On JohnnyGuru.com it just says the rear 80mm fan is loud. He also said that the PC Power and cooling 1KW is load but not as loud as a zippy one. SO I assume it's a bit louder than the PC+PC psu , by not by much, and probably only under load. I wish I could have got it, but I do like quietness at the same time, so maybe the Galaxy is the better choice for me. ALthough the OP1000 would have been a great future proof purchase.