PDA

View Full Version : The very best air coolded cpu cooler?

TonyM16
01-15-07, 12:25 PM
What is the best air cooled cpu cooler for a Core2duo on a EVGA 680i board? Is it the scythe Ninja with one or two fans, big typhoon, a Tuniq Tower or a Zalman 9700cnps or what ever else I have missed?

jAkUp
01-15-07, 12:29 PM
Tuniq Tower

TonyM16
01-15-07, 12:35 PM
I thought so, but I couldn't be sure that the review I read about it was real or just propaganda. :p

Thanks, might get one. :D

Xion X2
01-15-07, 12:42 PM
Tuniq Tower

Seconded.

Rytr
01-15-07, 01:15 PM
What about the Scythe SCNJ-1100P Ninja? Its another heavy cooler in the 800g range that has some good reviews running around $10 less.

CaptNKILL
01-15-07, 03:44 PM
I think I'm probably going to get a Thermalright Ultra-120 when I go Core2. The reviews have it at the top of the field all around, especially at low noise levels.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/section11.html

Its been holding the crown at SilentPCReview since they reviewed it.

I'm also very familiar with Thermalright heatsinks. IMO, they have always been the best. I've used an SK-7, an SLK-900U (brother's old system), an XP-90C (brother's current system) and an XP-90 and they have always met or exceeded my expectations.

Rytr
01-15-07, 10:43 PM
Yeah from past history you cannot go too wrong with Thermalright...I think I have used most all of them since the SK-7.
For a lighter and less costly solution than most you might take a look at Arctic Cooling's Freezer 7. Some have been getting good results with this HSF and Core2s.

Mr_LoL
01-16-07, 01:54 AM
Scythe Infinity. Anand use it on their cpus so I am assuming its good.

Xion X2
01-16-07, 03:28 AM
Scythe Infinity. Anand use it on their cpus so I am assuming its good.

A buddy of mine went from a Scythe Infinity to a Tuniq and saw a decrease in temps under load of 6-8C on an E6400 @ 3.6gHz. I don't think they're in the same class.

Blacklash
01-17-07, 09:24 AM
Try this @ Anand. It's a Tuniq review:

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2906&p=5

TonyM16
01-17-07, 10:29 AM
A buddy of mine went from a Scythe Infinity to a Tuniq and saw a decrease in temps under load of 6-8C on an E6400 @ 3.6gHz. I don't think they're in the same class.

lol. For a second I thought you meant that the Tuniq Tower is worse than the scythe. The word decrease is what made me think that. I realise that decrease is a good thing now ofcourse.:o

Yeah thanks for the Anandtech review aswell although I had already read it, it was why I created the thread in the first place, but thanks all the same.

Thank you very much guys for posting and giving your opinions ,I have purchased the Sunbeam Tuniq Tower now and it will be here tomorrow. I was using a Big Typhoon. The problem with the Typhoon is that the air is pushed towards the top, so it hits my case side. This makes the temps increase by 10c just by closing the case. The chipset fan on the 680i is also increasing temps as it's air is being pushed directly on the Big Typhoon's heat pipes. I noticed an increase of about 5-10c because of this. The top of the Big typhoon is very close to my case side, and I have a full tower. I think it will be more for an open testbed than a closed desktop.

The only thing I am worried about is the weight of the tuniq Tower. It weighs 1kg, is that gonna be alright in desktop PC case? I really hope so.

Xion X2
01-17-07, 02:17 PM
Weight doesn't matter. The Tuniq comes with a backplate to brace it on the back of your motherboard. And it's really not a lot heavier than most of the heavy air coolers out there.

hokeyplyr48
01-17-07, 04:48 PM
is the Tuniq Tower loud? cuz it has a fan in the center, is it audible? also wats a queit psu for a 8800 gtx sli setup? (doesn't fit category i know, sorry)