PDA

View Full Version : I found the Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard Reading Spot

Roadhog
01-15-07, 03:09 PM
So I think I finally found out where the Asus P5B deluxe gets the Motherboard Temperature reading.

I was poking around inside my case when I saw this Chip in the very top right corner of the motherboard that said Winbond on it. As far as I know, these kind of chips control the fan speed and temperature monitoring/reporting. So I grab a fan, and stick it directly over the chip, and what do you know. The Motherboard temperature dropped to ~26c. Then I placed my thumb on the chip and it rose back up to 33c! This would also explain the lower motherboard temperatures once I added this memory cooler which also blows air over that chip.

Here is a picture of it:

http://www.area51.infiniteorigin.com/chip.jpg

Dudes__Geof_
01-15-07, 03:25 PM
Cool, now get a life.

Xion X2
01-15-07, 03:50 PM
^ wtf?

Interesting stuff, roadhog. I wonder if other boards have something similar.

Doesn't give you a very accurate system reading does it? Since it's not next to the northbridge or southbridge, I mean.

Dudes__Geof_
01-15-07, 03:54 PM
I was just joking about.. Roadhog saw this and called me a douche, so all is good.

I wouldn't be surprised if I could find mine in a few minutes, seeing as I've seen several winbond labeled chips before too.

SlieTheSecond
01-15-07, 04:18 PM
Thats the great thing about forums. You can't hear sarcasm in the characters typed on a computer. :)

Roadhog
01-15-07, 06:35 PM
^ wtf?

Interesting stuff, roadhog. I wonder if other boards have something similar.

Doesn't give you a very accurate system reading does it? Since it's not next to the northbridge or southbridge, I mean.

dont worry about Geof. :P I knew he was kidding. lol

Yeah, I don't know about other boards, but maybe someone else can confirm this with a P5B?

hirantha
01-16-07, 10:36 AM
hmmm Very interesting.. nice find!