PDA

View Full Version : Build me a System!

Abraxus#
01-15-07, 04:21 PM
Haha, no I'm not asking you to throw together an killer pc for nothing, that would be madness! Instead I would appreciate your recommendations on my upgrade from agp/478 misery to a super-duper PCI-E/775 machine.

1.I want to base it around a Duo 6300, which I intend to overclock significantly.

2. I dont want to skimp on the motherboard as one that is good for overclocking is neccesary. I would like to be able to use sli at some point.

3. I need new RAM DDR-II obviously, preferably cheap.

4. I would like to use my old hard drive, but it is SATA 150 and I cant seem to find any compatible mobos, this doesn't matter too much. What new hard drive? I only need about 100 GB, and again I would like it to be cheap and good.

5. I have a 420W Tagan PSU, I suspect it will be ok for it.

6. I plan on getting a 8800 GTX when they are cheaper, maybe two.

Thats about it, I would really appreciate it if you could give some recommendations as I have been out of the loop with pcs for a bit and I have tried but failed to learn about all the new technology, and I dont want to end up spending my money on Crap.
Thanks.

Xion X2
01-15-07, 05:06 PM
2. I dont want to skimp on the motherboard as one that is good for overclocking is neccesary. I would like to be able to use sli at some point.

Single card - Asus P5B Deluxe. FSB's well over 500.

SLI - nForce 680i. All are about the same (eVGA, Asus, BFGTech) 3 PCI-E slots giving you room for physics card in the future. The 650i doesn't have the 3rd slot, but is much cheaper (Asus P5N-E 650i) Whichever one you get just make sure it's an nForce 6 board and not the nForce 5, which doesn't overclock as well.

Comes down to personal preference here, but I've seen a buddy of mine overclock some Crucial DDR2667 up to 1000mhz with low timings. Just keep in mind that the 680i boards (at least the BFG and eVGA) need to boot on low-voltage memory for the first time or after a bios reset. It won't boot with my G.Skill so I have a cheap 30$ memory stick laying around I use to boot with in such cases and then I set the voltage higher in the bios.

4. I would like to use my old hard drive, but it is SATA 150 and I cant seem to find any compatible mobos, this doesn't matter too much. What new hard drive? I only need about 100 GB, and again I would like it to be cheap and good.

I'd suggest Western Digital or Seagate. Both make good, fast sata drives for < 100$ if you do some of your shopping at newegg.

Nope, you'll need to upgrade--even for a single GTX. I'd suggest a 800W'er or more if you plan to go 8800GTX SLI. Go with a name brand like Silverstone, PCPower Cooling, OCZ, Enermax, etc. And whatever you do, do not buy a dual 12v rail PSU.

SlieTheSecond
01-15-07, 05:25 PM
I would keep in mind if the motherboard you get doesn't allow you to lock the ram speed or use the right dividers, you will end up overclocking your ram along with the cpu. So cheap ram might hinder your ocing potential. With mine once I go past 400 fsb my ram becomes overclocked, anything below 400 it doesn't.

nrdstrm
01-15-07, 05:32 PM
Haha, no I'm not asking you to throw together an killer pc for nothing, that would be madness! Instead I would appreciate your recommendations on my upgrade from agp/478 misery to a super-duper PCI-E/775 machine.

1.I want to base it around a Duo 6300, which I intend to overclock significantly.

Good Choice!

Another GOOD choice - Like mentioned above - P5B Deluxe or 680i

I'm really liking Patriot and Corsair right now....If you plan to OC (wich it seems you do), you CAN'T skimp on the RAM or you won't get decent OC's.

**IMPORTANT** You can use your sata 150 hard drive (sata1) on any SATA 2 Mobo (300). The mobo's are ALL backward compatable with 150...No need to buy a new HDD..

Probably not enough for an 8800GTX. Maybe though. Check to see if it has at least 30 Amps on the 12 Volt rail. If it does, you might be ok...

6. I plan on getting a 8800 GTX when they are cheaper, maybe two.

See above on the PSU issue, and decide if you want to eventually go SLI...That will make the MOBO decision easier...

Thats about it, I would really appreciate it if you could give some recommendations as I have been out of the loop with pcs for a bit and I have tried but failed to learn about all the new technology, and I dont want to end up spending my money on Crap.
Thanks.

My opinions are bolded above...I don't have time right now, but later, if no one has done it, I'll bring up parts links for ya...

Stoneyguy
01-15-07, 05:38 PM
While I don't have first hand experience, I do believe that your HDD would work with the newer SATA standards without issue. It would be similar to the IDE 133/100/66.

You could also save the PSU upgrade until your ready for the series 8 cards. Your PSU should be good for any single 7 series GPU.

Also have you looked into the ASROCK 775Dual-VSTA mobo? It would allow you to buy the 6300 now and still use your AGP card and memory. Being it's a low cost board it could allow you to wait for the series 8 cards to become affordable and then make the jump on a full fledge upgrade. If you already have a 7800 GS AGP, it wouldn't be worth it to buy a 7900 PCI-E card just as a filler until the series 8 becomes affordable. This board is not a steller OCer because it doesn't allow you to bump the core voltage. I think I was able to get mine up to 310 FSB. On a 6300 that would put the overclock at 2.17.

Anyway just something to consider. Best of luck on your upgrade.

john19055
01-16-07, 03:33 AM
I would'nt go with the 680i if you are getting a 6300 because most of them will not overclock past 1700,I don't know what the problem is with the ASUS 650i SLI ,it overclocks to 500 with no problems or 2000 on the CPU,The memory does'nt like to go over 1000 ,but the CPU is the one you want to go high when overclocking a 6300,I would go with the 6400 because of the higher multipler ,or wait to the new one comes out and the prices drop.

Abraxus#
01-16-07, 04:03 AM
Wow, thanks for all the replies, I'm glad to hear about the HDD being compatible but do you think I could get much of a speed increase by upgrading ( I have a 7200rpm 160GB Maxtor Diamondmax plus 9 at the mo').

Stoneyguy
01-16-07, 06:52 AM
Wow 310FSB on that board? Impressive. Mine does 266MHz and nothing more :( Maybe I have to try again...

wow... no OC whatsoever? That sucks!

You won't get much of a speed increase by upgrading your HDD Abraxus. The Seagate .10 series would give you better benchmarks, but seeing realworld difference in things like games loading is doubtful (unless you never defrag). For the price though (90 US dollars) the OEM 320 gig Seagate .10 is hard to pass up.

SlieTheSecond
01-16-07, 02:05 PM
Isn't there a LOT of problems with the 680i ?
I was considering getting it until I read the problems people had here with it. Unless I am missing something and it's been sorted out?

Abraxus#
01-16-07, 02:52 PM
I think I have decided what to get:

1.http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=44HC

2.http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=42HM
(to last until 8800GTXs' are much cheaper)

3.http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4DFD

4.http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=41RH

5.http://www.overclock.co.uk/product.php?productid=18907&cat=386&view=rel

6.http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=45GP
(or possibly a 800watt Tagan 'Dual Engine' for 135), but not until the 8800!

What's the verdict?

Stoneyguy
01-16-07, 06:50 PM
with all that money your throwing around, your only getting 1 gig of memory?

Abraxus#
01-17-07, 03:47 AM
I really dont have that much money, I plan to sell my current pc for around 300 so this should only cost me a couple of hundred, and getting 2 gigs is another 150 which I dont see as essential.

Stoneyguy
01-17-07, 07:25 AM
Ok well that's your personal preference. I would much rather go with this model. (http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=43N8&CategorySelectedId=11150&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11150&InMerch=1)

Abraxus#
01-17-07, 08:45 AM
But would those overclock as well as they are only rated at 800mhz?

I really need to learn a bit more about this, is there a good cpu/mem overclocking guide somewhere?

Abraxus#
01-17-07, 12:56 PM
I have been looking at the motherboard options and lots of people seem to be having trouble with the 680i's, and MSI dont even have any info about it on their site. I looked into the EVGA but there seems to be loads of problems there with rubbish bios's. Are these boards good right now or will I have to wait for them to iron out the issues?

Looking at the P5B deluxe, I cant help wondering why I wouldnt get a P5W as they're only a bit more expensive. This is all so damn confusing.:thumbdwn:

Stoneyguy
01-17-07, 05:11 PM
No, the ones I've selected should not overclock as well as the ones you linked to. Personally I don't bother OCing my memory as it seems to cause the most problems when it comes to avoiding BSODs and reboots. I only up the FSB to get what I need from my CPU. Nowadays you can independently OC one while leaving the other alone. From a pure performance standpoint, I believe that you would get smoother gameplay from having 2 gigs at stock speed then by having 1 gig of OCed RAM.

I personally have the 680i and I've had no trouble with it. You are correct that many people are having trouble with the boards. The issue I've most seen is that one day they can OC their RAM alot and the next day they can't increase it at all or in some rare cases the RAM doesn't seem to work at all. Intel boards are generally more reliable with C2Ds.

Abraxus#
01-19-07, 02:46 AM
Decision made, I'm going to get the AsRock motherboard, an E6600 and keep my GPU for the moment. Thanks for all your advice.