PDA

View Full Version : PS3 sales figures 'not good'

Pages : [1] 2

Badboy_12345
01-15-07, 05:38 PM
If NPD's numbers are correct, there are over 300K PS3s on retail shelves. That is not good for a console launch of only a million and it's not good for publishers with PS3 software."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22215

well bye bye sony, now just abandon the ps3 crap and start making a ps4, you ****ed up... go back to the drawing board :lol:

Imbroglio
01-15-07, 05:42 PM
well the biggest issue is there's nothing to drive sales, game titles are few and far between, the pricepoint is higher than it's competitor, and the majority of the market could care less about Blu-ray. The only thing this means at this point in time is that it might drive away some titles from smaller companies that would stand to lose more by developing strictly for the ps3, aside from that it doesn't mean much atm.

tornadog
01-15-07, 06:51 PM
I know I sold this one for a 100 dollar profit, but I am tempted to get one just because of the stupidly low prices its going for on Ebay. I mean come on its just 2 months since it was released and already people have called it a doomed console

Bad_Boy
01-15-07, 07:19 PM
If NPD's numbers are correct, there are over 300K PS3s on retail shelves.
wow, what a misinterpretation of NPD's numbers. Sure there are PS3s on shelves, but I bet you my bottom dollar its not a full 300k.

NPD doesnt take in account of canada's shipments (they are US only numbers), the PS3's still in transit, and as nintendo likes to say "mom and pop" stores. IIRC NPD doesnt count walmart either, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

All things considered, Almost 700K in the US (at the end of december) is not terrible when you factor it's better what 360 had at the same time last year, adding the fact its a 500-600 dollar system, and adding the fact theres only one major game for it right now.

Lyme
01-15-07, 11:11 PM
As things stand MS and Sony both produce their consoles sales in generally the same way.. Shipped to stores. Rather than Sold, which is what Nintendo does.

Looking at how things are to the corporations:
-The Wii is selling as good if not better than Nintendo imagined.
-The 360 isn't flying off the shelves, but still is doing immensely better than the Xbox v1. Plus MS has plans in the works for the 360 above and beyond gaming, which will help it sell.
-The PS3 no matter who you ask isn't selling as well as one would expect, how well it will do in the long run is too early to tell.. give it another six months. Unfortunately if the PS3 doesn't do well, Sony is likely to have some rough times ahead.

toxikneedle
01-16-07, 02:00 AM
wow, what a misinterpretation of NPD's numbers. Sure there are PS3s on shelves, but I bet you my bottom dollar its not a full 300k.

NPD doesnt take in account of canada's shipments (they are US only numbers), the PS3's still in transit, and as nintendo likes to say "mom and pop" stores. IIRC NPD doesnt count walmart either, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

All things considered, Almost 700K in the US (at the end of december) is not terrible when you factor it's better what 360 had at the same time last year, adding the fact its a 500-600 dollar system, and adding the fact theres only one major game for it right now.
Yes, NPD doesn't count mom and pop shops and also major stores, I know that wallmart is one of them. Sony counts shipments as soon as they leave the plant but there is a big delay between that period and when stores actually get one, so it's very wrong to simply take Sony's numbers and subtract NPD's numbers.

I do have to add one thing to your post Bad_Boy, in defense of MS. Xbox 1 didn't have as big of an install base as PS2 had, so the initial sales almost have to be larger no matter what. I know for a fact, many avid Xbox 1 players didn't even want to get an Xbox 360 until a Halo game would be on it. So even with Sony selling more consoles during this time period than 360 did, they're still not doing good numbers, considering their stance in the console business.

Not to mention that Sony's shipments have been a lot better than MS's. I couldn't find a 360 in stores until April last year, I just saw 5 PS3s at a local EB today.... before that I didn't really "believe" the PS3 on shelves stories.

Badboy_12345
01-16-07, 02:14 AM
well at least they will have alot of ps3's for europe...
just send the left over ones from usa and japan :lol:

Mr_LoL
01-16-07, 03:20 AM
I think I might start joining in the "Lets find negative news" about the ps3 brigade. It will make me feel a whole load better about myself. Right off I go.

msxyz
01-16-07, 01:47 PM
The way Sony and Microsoft count the "shipped" systems are different.

Sony counts the shipments from factories to warehouses, MS counts shipments from warehouses to retailer (meaning the retailer has already paid, so for them they're as good as sold)

So there aren't really 300K PS3s sitting around in stores. They're probably still "in transit" as it takes 2-3 weeks from factory to final shipment. Considering the delays and the late ramp up of production, it's entirely possible that Sony has already produced 1M consoles destined to the NA market but they're yet to be seen on retail shelves.

|MaguS|
01-16-07, 01:50 PM
The way Sony and Microsoft count the "shipped" systems are different.

Sony counts the shipments from factories to warehouses, MS counts shipments from warehouses to retailer (meaning the retailer has already paid, so for them they're as good as sold)

So there aren't really 300K PS3s sitting around in stores. They're probably still "in transit" as it takes 2-3 weeks from factory to final shipment. Considering the delays and the late ramp up of production, it's entirely possible that Sony has already produced 1M consoles destined to the NA market but they're yet to be seen on retail shelves.

Sony is claiming to have shipped 2 million units between Japan and US. Now even if this number is still intransit, its still a dam good number for a system that had such huge problems during its development. Even the X360 didn't have that many units in less then 3 months.

msxyz
01-16-07, 02:51 PM
Yes I'm quite suprised of how well they ramped up production after all the delays.

Now, it remains to be seen if there's still a demand for it, particulary in the slow months after xmas. Imho Sony should ship as many systems as possible to Europe. There's room for selling easily 1+ M consoles in the launch week alone, considering the immense popularity the Sony brand enjoys here.

ENU291
01-16-07, 03:27 PM
Now that we see the results on the 2006 holiday sales and the surplus inventory I think is was a MAJOR mistake on Sony's part to delay the PS3 launch in Europe.

superklye
01-16-07, 03:30 PM
I can't check from work, but how low are PS3s going on eBay?

ENU291
01-16-07, 03:49 PM
I can't check from work, but how low are PS3s going on eBay?
Currently a 60GB PS3 sold for $520. The seller has GOT to be disappointed!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PlayStation-3-60GB-Entertainment-System-PS3_W0QQitemZ140072873723QQihZ004QQcategoryZ147177 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: It was used so $520 isn't to bad (even though its less than 2 months old).

Edit #2: After looking at more auctions it looks like sellers are luck if the break even when trying to sell a PS3 on Ebay.

|MaguS|
01-16-07, 04:01 PM
Sony has been keeping a strong supply so theres no real shortage anymore... as reports earlier revealed, you can walk into many stores now and see PS3's on the shelves, if this is due to poor sales or just Sony actually being able to get units out into the market... its all up to what the fanboys want to say.

DiscipleDOC
01-16-07, 04:13 PM
I will buy a ps3, but I will get an Xbox 360 first....

DiscipleDOC
01-16-07, 04:14 PM
Sony has been keeping a strong supply so theres no real shortage anymore... as reports earlier revealed, you can walk into many stores now and see PS3's on the shelves, if this is due to poor sales or just Sony actually being able to get units out into the market... its all up to what the fanboys want to say.

My local BB had boxes of them laying in the floor!

thor1182
01-16-07, 04:26 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5721

now the article says poor sales, but it is more of shipment numbers being short.

NaitoSan
01-16-07, 04:49 PM
several times i've been at local bestbuy... i still see many ps3 and asked one of worker about it. it appears the sale of ps3 aren't good and people keeps asking about wii.

kinda sad to see bestbuy is willing to sell ps3 units for less if different store is selling them cheaper. to be honest, i'm glad because i hope that'll teach sony not to sell their console for way too much.

Arioch
01-16-07, 04:53 PM
Well I am sure Sony cannot be happy with the sales figures so far. I have seen PS3 units on shelves at Walmarts and EBgames here in Austin since the beginning of the month which surprised me somewhat. I remember not being able to see a 360 on a shelf here until the end of March last year. Obviously being the only "next-gen" console available was part of the reason that 360s were hard to get. It seems like everytime I am at a Walmart or EBgames I hear someone ask about a Wii and then inform the salesperson that they will continue to wait for one even after being informed that the store has PS3 units on hand.

|MaguS|
01-16-07, 05:22 PM
I remember not being able to see a 360 on a shelf here until the end of March last year.

That was mainly due to MS not being able to make any... Considering Sony has been able to make 2 million in just 3 months is shocking.

toxikneedle
01-16-07, 05:42 PM
That was mainly due to MS not being able to make any... Considering Sony has been able to make 2 million in just 3 months is shocking.
MS was not making the console themself, unlike Sony. Not to mention that MS launched in Europe too, or you forgot?

|MaguS|
01-16-07, 05:56 PM
MS was not making the console themself, unlike Sony. Not to mention that MS launched in Europe too, or you forgot?

Doesn't matter where they launched they still have less number of units then Sony did in the same amount of time. As for MS not making the consoles, well I know that but do you actually know who does? No, ok well MS makes them then...

Marvel_us
01-16-07, 06:11 PM

I can only imagine how many they will have for the UK launch. Great news that they got over the manufacturing hump, now time to sell those things.

toxikneedle
01-16-07, 06:23 PM
Doesn't matter where they launched they still have less number of units then Sony did in the same amount of time. As for MS not making the consoles, well I know that but do you actually know who does? No, ok well MS makes them then...
That wasn't the point, the problem is that MS outsources the different components to a number of companies... this dramatically slows down the process for them.