PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA hiring eDRAM engineers - for Sony's PSP2? (and maybe for desktop, PS4?)

AirRaid
01-15-07, 06:04 PM
NVIDIA hiring eDRAM engineers - for Sony's PSP2?
15-Jan-2007, 10:21.03 Reporter : Uttar

A quick look at NVIDIA's website will reveal that they are currently
looking for eDRAM engineers. It's worth noting that they have never
shipped any such design, and it seems extremely unlikely to us that
anyone in the industry is planning to use eDRAM on products aimed at
the PC market. As such, this could be a further confirmation that
NVIDIA has the contract for Sony's PSP2 handheld.

Indeed, the original PSP has plenty of eDRAM (2MB for the GPU alone),
and the PS2 GPU has its fair share of it too. These chips are
manufactured in Sony's own fabs, which thus seem rather well tuned for
it. It has already looked extremely likely for a while that NVIDIA
would get the contract, as past financial conference calls have had
Jen-Hsun Huang say that he believes the original PSP's graphics chip
will be the last one developped in-house for any console or CE device.
That wouldn't theorically exclude AMD from the contract though, of
course - and while it's likely it has been decided by now who won the
contract, it's also impossible to be sure.

Still, this eDRAM job offer is a further confirmation of NVIDIA's
likely contract with Sony on this project, which you would expect to
see shipping around 2009, given the traditional industry cycles.
Assuming a royalty-based model, likely per-unit revenue would be
between 3 and 5 dollars, in addition to one-time payments. That's not a
lot of money for either NVIDIA or AMD nowadays, but it remains
financially appealing because of the 100% margins associated with the
deal.

http://beyond3d.com/#news37668]http://beyond3d.com/#news37668

forgetting PSP2 for a moment (which is NOT the upcoming redesigned PSP
due out 2007-2008),,, I'm thinking about PS4, and how badly it WILL
NEED a GPU with EDRAM. One of the biggest mistakes of PS3 was not
having EDRAM, and because of it, Xbox 360 beats the PS3 in graphics
rendering / displaying graphics on screen. and no matter how powerful
the CELL is or isnt, it can't help the RSX GPU.

Sony & Nvidia better come up with a fantasticly powerful GPU for PS4,
otherwise there will be little point in bothering PS4, even less so
than PS3. Sony better go back to EDRAM in PS4, or they are finished
performance wise.

on the PC side, hopefully EDRAM will finally be used in top-end GPUs. maybe starting with the NV60 / G100 or somewhere along the roadmap.

hokeyplyr48
01-15-07, 07:14 PM
*sounds like an idiot*
whats EDRAM?

malachi1313
01-15-07, 07:18 PM
Embedded Ram

Marvel_us
01-15-07, 08:37 PM
I would really hope that Sony gives/gave nvidia the green light on making a custom gpu for ps4....even the new psp. The ps3 gpu seems like a rush job and is basically a modded G70/G71.

Bad_Boy
01-15-07, 08:54 PM
The ps3 gpu seems like a rush job and is basically a modded G70/G71.It pretty much is a rush job, the GPU was orginally going to be a second cell processor. But they changed that later. I think it was a change for the better though, coding on a familar GPU is probably easier on the developers, especially the ones used to desktop GPU's and the ones who are more familar with openGL. IIRC carmack was one of the orginals who praised the change.

AirRaid
01-15-07, 09:26 PM
I would really hope that Sony gives/gave nvidia the green light on making a custom gpu for ps4....even the new psp. The ps3 gpu seems like a rush job and is basically a modded G70/G71.

agreed. the PS3 GPU is a cut-down version of the NV47/G70/G71 with half the ROPs and half the bus width to GDDR3 memory, and perhaps fewer vertex shaders.

the PS4 (in 2012 or so) needs a custom GPU that not only outperforms the top-end PC GPUs of that year, but has EDRAM for enourmous bandwidth, beyond the highest level of bandwidth that a 512-bit bus and GDDR5 or whatever would allow for. (the ATI Xenos GPU in Xbox 360 provides higher bandwidth, 256 GB/sec thanks to EDRAM for certain operations than the G80 which has under 100 GB/sec).

if it sounds like it would not be possible to have a state of the art GPU in a console that outperforms the most powerful PC GPUs, some people need to remember that PS1 and PS2 both outperformed the faster PC graphics chips in 1994/1995 and 2000 respectively, at least in terms of rendering speed, though not quality.

toxikneedle
01-15-07, 09:50 PM
If they are only looking for engineers now, whatever product it is.... we won't see it for quite a while. Anyone shocked by Sony making a second PSP?

ENU291
01-15-07, 10:03 PM
The biggest problem with the PSP is the storage options and the ergonomics. Using the PSP for any extended period of time is literally painful. They need to add a second analog stick and make the damn thing more comfortable to use.

Zelda_fan
01-15-07, 10:31 PM
lol PSP2, seeing as though the first one was a failure, I doubt we'll be seeing a second one.

|MaguS|
01-15-07, 10:33 PM
lol PSP2, seeing as though the first one was a failure, I doubt we'll be seeing a second one.

Its doing good for a handheld considering this is Sony's first handheld, here in america its not too far behind the DS and it even sold over a million units this holiday season... don't see how that can be considered a failure...

ENU291
01-15-07, 10:34 PM
Don't be so sure... I don't think Sony will give up on the hand held gaming market that easily (even though Nintendo has that market pretty much wrapped up!).

toxikneedle
01-16-07, 12:54 AM
PSP's major failure was with the UMD movie thing. As a gaming handheld, I think it deserves a second. Some of my friends have one, and I enjoyed playing it here and there. The DS has way too many japanese rpgs, kiddie, lame games for me.

nekrosoft13
01-16-07, 06:34 AM
psp is a fine web based remote for XBMC, thats about it

Edge
01-16-07, 11:29 AM
I remember when people were saying the same thing about another Nintendo console after the Gamecube. And how exactly is the PSP a failure again?

AirRaid
01-16-07, 04:04 PM
PSP version 2 in 2007-2008

next-gen micro-CELL-based, Nvidia eDRAM GPU-based PSP2 in 2010, methinks :D

Treason
01-16-07, 06:36 PM
The PSP is not a failure. It's Sony use of the UMD format that is a total failure. How many times have you walked into your big box electronics store and seen UMD moves go for/found in cheap prices/bargin bin? I can't believe how Sony put so much effort into marketing the PSP, yet not even put out the word on UMD movies. Where were the "now available on UMD" after the "now available on DVD" marketing lines?

ENU291
01-16-07, 08:23 PM
UMDs failed because Sony actually thought that PSP owners would pony up more money then the regular DVD version of the same movie. Whoever decided on the pricing of UMD movies should be fired. $25-$30 for a movie that only plays on a 4" screen at a lower resolution then a regular DVD is insane!

nekrosoft13
01-16-07, 08:26 PM
UMDs failed because Sony actually thought that PSP owners would pony up more money then the regular DVD version of the same movie. Whoever decided on the pricing of UMD movies should be fired. $25-$30 for a movie that only plays on a 4" screen at a lower resolution then a regular DVD is insane!

but but but is portable

|MaguS|
01-16-07, 08:36 PM

The problem with UMD Movie pricing was that Sony never set a MSRP like they do with the games... so the studios were able to price them whatever they wanted and well we all know how greedy movie studios are...

They should start all over with UMD movies and set the max price at 19.99 with the average around $10 - $15, when I mean Max, I mean something like Family guy where it comes on 6 discs.

ENU291
01-16-07, 08:53 PM
The problem with UMD Movie pricing was that Sony never set a MSRP like they do with the games... So in essence Sony let the movie studios kill yet another one of their proprietary video formats. You can't blame the movie studios for this. Sony should have foreseen this and made the necessary changes to keep UMD movies a viable option for consumers.

|MaguS|
01-16-07, 08:59 PM
So in essence Sony let the movie studios kill yet another one of their proprietary video formats. You can't blame the movie studios for this. Sony should have foreseen this and made the necessary changes to keep UMD movies a viable option for consumers.

They can revive it... if they want to... seems like Sony is letting it just drift along, there are new movies releasing for it... just not many.

Zelda_fan
01-16-07, 11:47 PM
And how exactly is the PSP a failure again?

It's getting owned by the DS

Edge
01-17-07, 01:35 PM
It's getting owned by the DS
How does not matching the sales of the current market leader indicate failure? Were the N64 and Gamecube failures because the PS1 and PS2 sold better? Would the Wii be a failure if the Xbox 360 sells more in the end (or vice versa)? I think you'd need much more backing up the idea of a system being a failure than simply how it's sales numbers match up to the leading system.