PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Tournament 2004 stutter with 8800 series!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

snilloconator
01-15-07, 09:47 PM
OK I have posted here in other places in response to other people with the 8800 series and issues with UT2K4. I have had the card for close to a two weeks and have finally seen the stutter problem in UT2K4. I posted a week or so ago about not having any problems especially in UT but I have finally witnessed it and it is awful!!! I have no problems with any games they all crank out serious frames and run silky smooth. Unreal normally does but it depends on what levels I'm playing on. Does anyone know of a fix or an answer....? Is it the drivers or does the game need patching....? I have googled and seen that this is an issue amongst a lot of 8800 series owners.

flukester
01-16-07, 02:09 PM
Got to love "NEW" cards with "OLD" problems huh.. Truly advanced those 8800's. Maybe it's that new DirectX10 support.. :clap:

Shocky
01-16-07, 02:12 PM
Install 96.89, seems to fix it for most people..

CaptNKILL
01-16-07, 02:32 PM
Install 96.89, seems to fix it for most people..
Really?

I've used quite a few drivers and they have all had this problem in UT2004 and Red Orchestra.

I don't really want to go backwards though. Other things have been fixed with the most recent drivers.

skoprowski
01-16-07, 03:12 PM
I spent a lot of time troubleshooting this and have not found a solution. I've never tried the 96.XX drivers though. I did find that setting compressedlightmaps to false in the unreal.ini file helps a little. I hope Nvidia is aware of the problem. I still play UT04 a lot- my 8800 is sitting in it's box waiting for drivers :(

snilloconator
01-16-07, 04:48 PM
TY for all the response! I have a tourney coming up so I might just try those drivers for the tourney... But honestly the newer drivers play all my other games awesome! This sucks because I love UT but still play a lot of other games? I wonder it UT would be willing to maybe patch the game or is it just driver related?

Shocky
01-16-07, 04:57 PM
Really?

I've used quite a few drivers and they have all had this problem in UT2004 and Red Orchestra.

I don't really want to go backwards though. Other things have been fixed with the most recent drivers.

Yes really, there isnt much difference between the drivers.. A few bug fixes here and there plus some new bugs.. lol

CaptNKILL
01-16-07, 06:05 PM
I did find that setting compressedlightmaps to false in the unreal.ini file helps a little.
I just tried this and it didn't seem to make any difference. :(

I've found that the worst stuttering in any level (that I've tried) is in the flag rooms on CTF Citadel. Its completely unplayable when there are people running around shooting in that room.

icecold1983
01-16-07, 08:19 PM
it only seems to happen in dm for me, never happens in ons which is weird.

snilloconator
01-16-07, 09:05 PM
It is definitely intermittent! Some maps play fine as well as some game types. But I experienced it in a few maps and diff game types as well. Sooooo..... Sucks either way!

nekrosoft13
01-16-07, 09:17 PM
i got no stutter in UT 2004, but i get horrible stutter in CS: S now

i just tried CS: S after few months of not playing that game,

snilloconator
01-17-07, 12:57 AM
Funny I posted the same thing about a week ago. Watch out it will sneak up on you and when it does you'll def know. It's horrible!

balex99
01-17-07, 10:37 AM
i got no stutter in UT 2004, but i get horrible stutter in CS: S now

i just tried CS: S after few months of not playing that game,

Same here. It seems to vary. Lowered the Dx level to 8 and that helped a lot with not much graphic loss. It does the same thing with Vista RC2 w/100 series driver.

snilloconator
01-17-07, 06:15 PM
So same thing with vista and new drivers:thumbdwn: Damn! I wonder if they will be coming out with a fix if any! I know the game is old but it still is pretty active...

CaptNKILL
01-17-07, 06:19 PM
It does the same thing with Vista RC2 w/100 series driver.
Gah... thats not good. :o

skoprowski
01-18-07, 01:47 PM
Can anyone confirm Nvidia is even aware of this issue? I'm a bit concerned because there are reports this bug is still even in the leaked Vista 100.30 drivers.

nekrosoft13
01-18-07, 02:17 PM
So same thing with vista and new drivers:thumbdwn: Damn! I wonder if they will be coming out with a fix if any! I know the game is old but it still is pretty active...

vista leaked driver is from dec 14th or 12th. so its not really "new"

Bman212121
01-18-07, 02:18 PM
I would try putting on the AMD Dual Core optimizer, and processor drivers from here: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

If that doesn't completely solve it, you can use the profile to turn threaded optimization off, that might help as well. Lastly, I would try setting affinity on your processor, and only allowing the game to run on one core.

I have the 2 driver patches installed, and I haven't seen any stuttering issues with unreal 2004.

skoprowski
01-18-07, 02:51 PM
I already have all of that installed and I also have a pair of 7900GTs still. UT04 runs smooth with them in the same system. It's sporadic- not all the levels stutter. I think it's an issue with the lighting in the levels. Download DM-Kadath and see if it stutters for you.

snilloconator
01-19-07, 12:42 AM
Well I have tried everything still runs crappy for me! If anyone wants to hop in one of my servers to help test I would greatly appreciate it. I have a few maps I know that I experience the stutter in. If interested just pm me. Thanks

snilloconator
01-19-07, 09:26 AM
What would be the best way to bring this to nvidia for a possible fix?

asphalt
01-23-07, 02:10 PM
Well I have tried everything still runs crappy for me! If anyone wants to hop in one of my servers to help test I would greatly appreciate it. I have a few maps I know that I experience the stutter in. If interested just pm me. Thanks

Just a thought, have you tried to enable vsync in nvidia control panel? I had the stuttering issue, but fixed it by enabling vsync. You can set this in the UT2004 profile if you just want to run UT2004 with vsync enabled. Also, if you use Riva Tuner, go to Driver settings > Customize > DirectDraw and 3D settings > VSync tab. Change the 'Prerender limit' to '1' and click on 'Apply' to fix mouse lag. Let me know if it helps.

flukester
01-23-07, 03:59 PM
Hey all, works great on my LOWLY 7600 @ 1680x1050 with all options maxxed. Matter of fact I play nearly nightly with silk smooth performance.

Damn must suck to own a $600+ video card and it sucks playing games but thanks for screwing over the rest of the PC community by showing nVidia there are idiots out there willing to pay unrealistic costs for a video card even though it's use right now is minimal at best and not required by 99.95% of games. Helps that lawsuit really well! Big pat on the shoulders too all of you! You are all my idols! Enjoy waiting for nVidia to fix the problems.

This isn't a flame, it's more a message from hundreds of thousands of PC users who refrain from buying into nVidia's/ATI managed and agreed price fixing/gouging and waiting on a outcome from a lawsuit long since over-due.

Big Kudos to the US DOJ for finally having the balls to go after these Monopolisic companies. Unfortauntely Canada's Justice system is too stupid but hopefully with a letter signed in excess of 20,000+ people, they might change their mind.

asphalt
01-23-07, 04:42 PM
Hey all, works great on my LOWLY 7600 @ 1680x1050 with all options maxxed. Matter of fact I play nearly nightly with silk smooth performance.

Damn must suck to own a $600+ video card and it sucks playing games but thanks for screwing over the rest of the PC community by showing nVidia there are idiots out there willing to pay unrealistic costs for a video card even though it's use right now is minimal at best and not required by 99.95% of games. Helps that lawsuit really well! Big pat on the shoulders too all of you! You are all my idols! Enjoy waiting for nVidia to fix the problems.

This isn't a flame, it's more a message from hundreds of thousands of PC users who refrain from buying into nVidia's/ATI managed and agreed price fixing/gouging and waiting on a outcome from a lawsuit long since over-due.

Big Kudos to the US DOJ for finally having the balls to go after these Monopolisic companies. Unfortauntely Canada's Justice system is too stupid but hopefully with a letter signed in excess of 20,000+ people, they might change their mind.

Thanks for letting me know I was an idiot, I will be sure to consult you in the future before I decide were to spend my hard earned money. Think you posted in the wrong thread, you need to re-post in the Politics and Religion (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=32) section:clap2:

D!Z
01-23-07, 05:18 PM
some maps stutter for me some dont, the game still rocks cant wait for 2007