PDA

View Full Version : upgrading cpu thread...

glennalan
01-15-07, 11:21 PM
I have a gateway pc and I know most people here do complete pc builds themselves and don't own the Hp's or the Gateways to upgrade cpu's with. My pc operates fine already with the 3700+. I had actually went out to buy a 4000+
when I found this deal on this 3700+. I have found a spec sheet that says
my mobo supports fx-55-fx-57 or dual core 3800+-4800+ also. The prices of these processors have dropped considerably that I have thought of upgrading.
I've found only one internet forum thread where a guy upgaded from a 3800+ to a 4800+ with the gateway and had no problems, but I still consider it a gamble if I try to upgrade my cpu. Newegg and these other internet stores do not guarantee compatability or refunds and it seems to be these type of
upgrades or rarer than I thought.
I've contacted Gateway they say contact FIC. I contacted FIC they say
the mobo is OEM for gateway and that they don't offer support for it. I'm not asking them to support my work or to warranty it. I did get a few replys from
Gateway saying that yes my mobo supports these other processors I'm
just not absolutely sure that my BIOS will run the chip correct.
Aren't the BIOS changes that you guys make just for the added bonus that
the Overclocking adds?

Xion X2
01-15-07, 11:30 PM
There's no magic in processor compatibility. It all comes down to the socket you're using. Dell, Gateway and these other companies take motherboards from Asus, Abit, etc and remanufacture them and stamp their names on them. My Dell that I owned two years ago had an Abit motherboard in it.

And Dell, Gateway, etc know absolutely nothing about computers. At least all the airheads I ever talked to in customer service didn't. They tried to tell me I couldn't swap out my processor for a different one, and I did anyway. I had a socket 478 Dell that came with a Northwood Pentium 4 @ 2.8gHz. After about a year of owning it I replaced it with a 478 Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.2gHz and it ran just fine.

There should be no problem in going from a 3700+ to a 4800+ dual-core. Just make sure that you're purchasing the same socket model that your motherboard supports. Do you know if it's 754 or 939?

glennalan
01-16-07, 12:45 AM
The gateway reps in sales and tech support did tell me my mobo supports the faster chips they just weren't open to answering all of my questions. Everyone just passes the buck to somwhere else. The online technical support documentation that I seen was mostly for much older pcs and it is just recently that these $1000 cpus have become much more affordable.
As far as I know if the cpu will run fine as "plug and play" then they have
already given me all of the information that I need. That "IS" what the tech support has "ONLY" said, but I was wanting to confirm that this is true before
I throw money away attempting something that I havn't done before.
In fact my first hunch was and I was jumping at the chance to get a fx-55 from newegg with a free harddrive for $200.00. I placed my order just assuming that the mobo would run the faster cpu. Unexpectedly Newegg rejected my credit card...the same card that I use everywhere with no problems. Their machine deteced a replacement card that I had been sent
though I hadn't been using it. That is when I started wondering that maybe this upgrade isn't going to work or I would have already done this months ago.
In trying to research this I was very surprised that there was no info about this on the net, at least not that I could find. Of course most people I think who do this and write about it online are pc enthusiests who build their own pcs and pcs for others. I have wrote this similar thread in this group before hoping to corespond with someone like you who has upgraded their cpu without buying the new mobo with the extra BIOS setting features for overclocking.

glennalan
01-16-07, 12:58 AM
Like I said in the previous thread if newegg didn't rejrect my credit card in my
previous order I wouldn't of had the time for this redundancy. Gateway has a sales support chat line 24/7 that is very fast and easy to access, but the tech support chat line, after I fill out all of the info tells me that my security settings need to be changed to medium settings or I "COULD" experience problems. So then I check my settings to find that thery are already set
at medium and then I have to start the process of filling out the questions again and again for the same reply.
They answer the e-mails promptly though and basically went through the steps on physically changing the cpu and have said my mobo supports the other cpus, but they will not answer the question will I need to flash my BIOS? Then they just say they actually don't recomend cpu upgrades.
I had an HP pc before and I know that if you add a video card yourself they
can just automatically void your warranty and your support for the pc from them. They will not support you working on your own pc the way that the mobo manufactures at somewhere like FRY's will.

Xion X2
01-16-07, 01:00 AM
It sounds to me like newegg would let you return it if for some reason it's not compatible with your setup:

Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

Return for refund within: 7 days
Return for replacement within: 30 days
This is our Detailed Processor (CPU) Return Policy. Physically damaged CPUs cannot be returned to Newegg.com.

Improper installation of CPU fans and/or improper clocking may cause CPUs to chip. CPUs that are chipped, burnt or have bent/broken pins are considered physically damaged and cannot be returned for refund or replacement. Physical damage includes (but is not limited to) improper handling and any other type of damage sustained by irregular use.

Newegg.com encounters bent pins regularly when inspecting physically damaged CPUs. Forcing a processor into position will not solve an installation problem and may void your Newegg.com return policy. Buyers requesting a refund may have to pay a 15% restocking fee. Newegg.com will not cross-ship replacement CPUs.

I'd be surprised if they didn't. I think I've seen them sell open box processors before, and they're usually really understanding about this kind of stuff.

But like I said, it should work fine just as long as you pick the right socket model.

glennalan
01-16-07, 01:17 AM
The sales rep that I chatted with the first time told me that yes my pc supports the upgrade and that a problem that I might have is that if the pins on the cpu are bent I could fry the mobo and the chip so I would want to be careful in that regard and I have heard of several reviews from people buying and recieving cpus from newegg with bent pins. I notice that newegg also says that they do not offer refunds for cpus that are physically damaged such as bent pins...go figure. So the guy manages to sraighten out the pins and installs the cpu. I've drank about 10 cups of coffee and am typing away too much!

glennalan
01-16-07, 01:27 AM
I remember that when I got my first pc it was a HP and I called tech support
about my four memory slots and the guy was sitting over in India and I said I notice I have four memory slots for up to 4gb of memory and he says no thats two memory slots you should use only two slots. I thought you dummy its obvious I got four slots,thats cool, but of course I found out later about T1 and T2 and that if you use four slots its not as good as if you use two slots, but I couldn't understand that at the time.

Xion X2
01-16-07, 01:39 AM
I've bought every one of my processors at newegg, and so have my two friends, and none of us have ever received one w/ bent pins.

Just make sure you're buying a new one if this is a concern. They come in the retail box unless they're OEM. But even the OEM's are sealed in plastic and can't be bent.

But do be careful when you're installing it. Those pins on the Athlon 64's are EXTREMELY easy to bend. I laid my X2 4400+ down in a plastic bag one time (on its back, the heat-spreader) and the next time I saw it it had fallen down inside the bag and had about 20 pins that were bent. Me and a bud spent the next half hour with a small screwdriver gently bending each one of the pins back straight, and that processor was working perfectly up until the day I sold it off with my last system.

glennalan
01-16-07, 01:47 AM
Sorry about all of the rambling on that I'm doing...I'm blaming the coffee.
I still kind of wish that I had already done this upgrade without the doubts and hesitations. The point that I need without all of my redundancy is that a stock mobo wil accept the faster cpu without me adjusting the BIOS that it is the information I need. I talked to a tech rep at Directron where they were selling OEM fx-57's for $228.00 and he said he was concerned about the multyplier that I should contact the mobo manufacturer to find out if they are compatable. Of course it is not rare that they sell cpu mobo bundles on a daily basis. They didn't mention that, but if I were to go that route I would just overclock my 3700+ to 2.6ghz or 2.8ghz. I would prefer to just "plug and play" a fx-57 or 4800+ dual core. I'm not really a techy I don't know much about reformatting harddrives and knowing everything there is to know about a cpu. One thing that steered me away from building my own is that a guy at FRy's told me that you must also buy an operating system for another fee and I already have a pc operating good, it just could be better.
I'm not the richest guy in the world, but I've thought that upgrading what I already have to the fx-57 for a few hundred before they are obsolete would be a nice upgrade. The 4800+ might actually be better.

glennalan
01-16-07, 01:54 AM
That rig you have now is the rig I had in mind to. The new dualcore 6600. I kind of wish I would of built that rig, but I really don't have the time required for me to learn all that I need to build such a rig. Maybe I will next year I like the reviews that I've read. These fx-57 reviews are like runs Doom3 at 640 resolution at 175 fps...BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

glennalan
01-16-07, 02:01 AM
That rig you have now is the rig I had in mind to. The new dualcore 6600. I kind of wish I would of built that rig, but I really don't have the time required for me to learn all that I need to build such a rig. Maybe I will next year I like the reviews that I've read. These fx-57 reviews are like runs Doom3 at 640 resolution at 175 fps...BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Xion X2
01-16-07, 03:26 AM
You should go with the 4800+ dual-core, instead, or an Opteron dual-core. Games are already starting to utilize dual-core processors, and the FX-57 is single-core.